Monday, April 20, 2009

Pineapple and Green Chile Pork Soft Tacos

It was a miraculous deathbed recovery. We are still cautious, making sure not to tax her too much, and it seems almost too good to believe. Dare I say it? My computer is well again. I've spent hours each day trying to nurse her back to health, but she did not respond to my methods (or the advice or our antivirus software either for that matter.) But this weekend, my little sister Mary Kate came for a visit with her family of five, which includes my ever lucky brother in law Adam (the one who won a trip to the Super Bowl). Last night, he was up with our grouchy patient till at least 2 AM, which is when I had enough and called it a night. But when I woke up this morning, he had revived the cantakerous old hermit, and now I am back in business. Thank you, Adam. Maybe you did deserve that trip to the Super Bowl, after all. It's sunny this morning and I feel an incredible burden lifted off my shoulders. Ten years ago, it wouldn't have made much difference to me one way or the other, but now I can not live without my computer. Take my telephone, my TV, my Kitchen Aid mixer, my college diploma if you must, but leave me my computer.
I'm sure you are all here for the recipes, and not at all for the electronic update, so let's proceed. I've got a yummy dinner to share that is just lovely on so many levels. It's only a handful of ingredients, cooks all day in the crockpot on it's own, is healthy, super delicious, and ideally very inexpensive. I know you're going to love it! Come on back tomorrow for chocolate bread pudding and continued good cheer.
Money Saving Tips:
I buy pork chops when they have two for one deals at Albertsons. Don't eat pork? Don't worry-it works well with chicken also. Don't even bother defrosting the meat if it's frozen; it'll be just fine. If you can't find green salsa, the red variety will be tasty here also. The crockpot uses only about 25 cents of energy for 8 hours of cooking, so plug it in and save some money.
Pineapple and Green Chile Pork Tacos in the Crockpot
1 lb. pork chops
1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple with juices
1 cup tomatillo salsa (green salsa or salsa verde)
1 4 ounce can green chiles, undrained
1/3 cup brown sugar
For serving: warm flour tortillas, queso fresco (or feta), chopped cilantro, lime wedges, more green salsa
Combine all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on high for four hours or on low for 6 to eight hours. Shred pork, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve in soft flour tortillas with desired accompaniments.
Come Back Tomorrow for....
Chocolate Bread Pudding

18 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for your computer coming back to life, haha :-D Fabulous!!

And fabulous tacos!!

Katie and Mark said...

Mmmm-this one looks right up my alley! : ) I will definitly have to try this one out. Thanks.

Aunt Spicy said...

Thanks for the dinner idea! Am off to the store!

Catherine said...

That looks like something my family would love. Even without the meat, I think it would be delicious. Thanks for sharing Prudy and I'm so happy that you're computer is going to be alright!

Coleens Recipes said...

First of all I'd like to say I'm thrilled your computer has decided to cooperate. I don't know what I would do without mine either. Secondly,I think this recipe was designed specifically for my hubby. Thanks for posting it!!

Sara said...

These tacos look and sound amazing!

Melanie Anne said...

This sounds so good!! I make your sweet and spicy chicken all the time for taco etc. Now I will have to try this. Thanks so much!

Rindy R said...

This looks like the perfect dinner! I know my whole family would love this one!

Adrienne said...

I love love love pork in tacos. As soon as I'm done nursing a tiny baby, I'll be throwing green salsa in everything!!!

Anne said...

I know what you mean about the computer dependence... I'm glad it's doing better! That pork looks delicious, I'm going to have to try it!

Michal said...

i love this kind of food and can't wait to try the recipe. wish i could try it at your house. glad to hear that your computer has been resurrected.

Sarah said...

I have sent my husband to the store for the ingredients! :) Thanks!

Janssen said...

Just assembled this so I can put it in the crockpot in the morning. Mmmm.

MK and Co. said...

I can't wait to try these tacos. They look so delicious and easy to make. That's perfect! Thanks Prudy for another great recipe!

Sophie said...

This sounds excellent. I love that it can be made in a slow cooker!

Courtney said...

yum, yum, yum! I can't wait to make this. Perfect for the weekend - although I do wish it was more sunny out. And thanks so much for the ham recipe - I am finally getting around to updating my blog, I missed the entire month of April...what? April's over?

Lauren said...

I made this today and it was PHENOMENAL. My husband was literally slurping up the juice from the bottom. Overshare?

Michal said...

Just wanted you to know that this has become another definitive recipe for me-- I use it all the time because it is so delicious, easy, and a great way to feed a crowd. At the moment I have 20 lbs of pork cooking in a couple of crockpots with all these goodies to serve about 100 people tomorrow. When I am using a pork shoulder roast instead of pork chops (for large crowds), I rub it in montreal seasoning and brown it under the broiler right in the crock, then move it to the crockpot holder and add the other ingredients. It makes a fabulous crust.