Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Itty Bitty Chocolate Smore Tarts

I promised to report all about the National Cornbread Cook off in Tenessee-and I will, I will! But today is Tuesday, and on Tuesdays all prior plans must cease in order to observe the assignment of my weekly baking club, TWD. This week we've made chocolate cream tarts, but please, oh please, do not make them the way that I did. Click here and find someone else who wasn't in Tennesee all week and came home to expired cream. Find someone who is organized and bright, calm and systematic. Otherwise, they might spoil a perfectly delicious chocolate cream filling. Which is exactly what I did.
Things didn't start out so bad. I came home from my trip, having missed a night of sleep from traveling, so didn't get up in time for my treadmill run, which means no shower till I get the run in, and started school late with the charges. While charge number one was writing an essay about the fall of the Berlin Wall and charge number two was pounding out "When the Saints Go Marching In" on the piano, I started making a half batch of the chocolate cream filling. It was astoundingly good, even amidst the chaos. Pencils and pianos were cast aside so we could gather round and eat the warm chocolate filling. It was looking promising. But then I got sloppy. Too lazy to make a pie crust, I turned to a wholewheat crust I had in the freezer. I regularly use whole wheat crusts as you dear readers are aware, but NOT. ON. CREAM. PIES.
Please don't try. It tastes evil. But it was too late since all of the little hearty wheat shells were filled with dreamy chocolate before I realized. I hoped the whipped cream topping would perk them up. But then, I found my cream was expired. Not just a little bit either. Apparently, it had secured a safe hiding place behind the pickle jar since February. I wasn't about to run to the market in the current state of my kitchen, my day, my life, and by gosh-my hair! so I threw on some marshmallows and just about burnt them under the broiler while I busied myself teaching three digit divisions with zeros. Darn-I just wasted a good chunk of time and messed up the kitchen to boot. But about 9:30 PM, the Quiet Man and the charges used baby spoons (so glad I saved a few) and ate the marshmallows and cream filling from the shells. And me? I finally cleaned the kitchen, got on the treadmill and squeezed in that shower. I suppose things turned out OK, after all. Next time I'm making that pie, it'll be the right way, I hope. On the other hand, maybe I've been inspired. Next Tuesday, I just might turn our tiramisu assignment into a smore's tiramisu. Sounds promising.
I'll be back with a full report on the National Cornbread Festival in Tennesee plus my "Honorable Mention" Recipe.

28 comments:

Jennifer said...

Your tarts are precious! Even if they weren't your favorite thing!

And a cornbread cook off? I'm SO there!

Queen B. said...

oh so darling !!!!!!!!
Are you into the retro kitchen ?
Should I keep my vintage find ???

Cristine said...

Kudos to you for even getting a tart made... even if it wasn't the greatest. It looks good, though! :)

chocolatechic said...

So sorry that it didn't turn out well.

We loved it.

Erin said...

They look good!
Can't wait to read about the cookoff!

gigi said...

You are so cute! I can't believe you sometimes. Good job for trying! Can't wait to hear all about the Tenn and your contest!

Tanji said...

Oh my gosh! You are hilarious!! I am laughing so hard at the thought of whole wheat chocolate cream pie. ewww. :) But, Prudy I just love ya because you are so real. It helps the rest of us {not so culinarily gifted folks} to know that even the best, brightest and most gifted have flops too. :) You're the best!

Marjie said...

If your cream or milk is sour, you can add baking soda to it to un-sour it. Really. I've done it. The tarts are cute; too bad the flavor didn't match. Isn't division instruction fun? My 4th grader is doing 5th grade math, so we're currently doing probability. Division was back in the fall or winter (I forget exactly).

Leslie said...

That's what I call making the best of a bad thing! I mean, you weren't able to make two of the three components and you kept plugging. I admire that! And your tartlets look so cute with the marshmallows.

Catherine said...

Your tarts look darling even if they didn't taste great. Congratualtions on the Honorable Mention. I can't wait to hear all the details!

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Your tarts looks delicious even if they didn't turn out terrific. I would have eaten the cream and marshmallows too. :) Can't wait to hear about the cornbread festival!

Mary Ann said...

Ha ha! You really had me laughing this time. I don't know how you do it all.
And I don't know if I believe you about the tarts. They look good! THat is how I like my marshmallows and I bet the whole wheat crust made it taste like a real s'more!

Emily Rose said...

they look so cute though!! I have to say that the chocolate shortbread crust is well worth the effort though! I loved that chocolate on chocolate flavor!! I can't wait to hear about the cornbread festival- my in-laws were there!

Mom said...

Oh, I think you came up with a winner by adding the marshmallows!

Anonymous said...

Haha. Don't you hate those days? I start off the day on a wrong foot and everything seems to spiral out of control. I hope today and tomorrow are less hectic!

~Cat

Michal said...

you are so impressive in the way you never say die. i am in awe of all that you fit into your days.

The Blonde Duck said...

You need a nap! Poor thing!

Patsyk said...

They look cute even if they crust wasn't a good match! Can't wait to read about the cornbread festival and your honorable mention!

Unknown said...

Ooooh, what about graham cracker crust with the delicious chocolate cream and lovely toasty marshmallows? That might be tasty too. :)

Sharon said...

Can't wait to hear about the cornbread contest!

The thing about these little itty bitty treats is that I would eat SO many of these!

Satisfying my Sweet Tooth said...

I failed too! This just wasn't our recipe I guess. We will make it up next week!

Melanie Anne said...

Those tarts look really good. Your story is so funny! Sounds like some of my days!

Mélanie said...

Great, I can't wait to try your cornbread recipe!
I discovered cornbread when before leaving Texas, and now I can't find corn meal anywhere in Paris... So on my last trip to the US, that's what I brought back in my suitcase!!
Now I just need an "honorable mention" recipe :-)

Rindy R said...

They LOOK so yummy - I can hardly believe they didn't turn out - and come on - can you really mess up chocolate? Can't wait to see your "honorable mention" recipe!

Katrina said...

They ARE cute and yummy looking with the toasted mallow. And I'm glad to know we ALL have days like this, although I'm sorry to hear about it when others do. Alls well that ends well, huh!

Aggie said...

We are on a smores kick around here lately! My kids would love these!

Kayte said...

Some days are like this, aren't they? And, it is just as important to record them as the others so that you, your children, and everyone else will feel normal! The little tartlets are awfully cute...such fun to think of them all with their little bitty spoons scooping out little bitty bites. Oh, how I miss those homeschooling days!

Unknown said...

They look super cute! What a brilliant idea. Sorry they didn't quite work out for you though.