Thursday, April 9, 2009

Carrot Ginger Soup

Things are not looking well for my computer. No, not well at all. If she continues to misbehave in this teenagerly fashion, she may find herself out on the streets, on her ear, on her own, out of luck and out of chances. Unless she repents, and then we will shed a few maudlin tears and welcome her back. In the meantime, for those of you who have sent me e-mails, I am not responding because my Internet provider coldly informs me that my computer is sending out malicious viruses, and if this continues they will beforced to cancel Internet service all together. Can things really be so bad? In the meantime, readers, thanks for your patience. I promise that I'm not ignoring you; or rather I am ignoring you so as not to send you a malicious virus. But here it is almost Easter and I'm making a buttermilk glazed carrot cake, big fat peanut butter cream eggs that have been dipped in chocolate, a honey and mustard glazed ham, and cheddar cheesy potato casserole, and all of these lovely things on my own because of my naughty computer.
I did promise to post my carrot ginger soup, and if luck is on my side, then perhaps you will see a picture of said soup. If not, please understand that although my computer is practically a professional at sending malicious viruses, it can not manage the uploading of a beautiful carrot soup.
Here's the recipe, either way. I first tried this luscious soup in Bar Harbor, Maine with my parents and the Quiet Man on a leaf peeping tour. I had ordered the carrot ginger soup, a sandwich and a slice of blackberry pie for dessert. They brough the soup first and after savoring my cup, I cancelled the sandwich and the pie and devoured two more bowls of soup. Since it's so lovely and carrot-y, I always make it around Easter time to tempt Peter Cottontail to leave us extra treats. It seems to work. Now if only I can get him to fix this durn computer.
Money Saving Tips:
Buy real carrots-not the peeled baby carrots for snacking. It will be cheaper, but you'll also be getting better flavor. Use bouillion cubes or homemade stock to save money. You can swap out the cream for half and half, evaporated skim milk, or milk.
Carrot Ginger Soup
Estimated Cost: $5.00 for 6 first course servings
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion. chopped
1 pound carrots, peeled and chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
2 tablespoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 cup orange juice
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
pinch of ground red pepper
1-2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
1/2 cup cream
In a heavy pot, melt butter. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and cook for one minute longer. Add orange juice and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove about 2 cups of the vegetables. Puree the remaining soup, using an immersion blender if you have one. Add vegetables back to pot. Stir in red pepper, honey to taste (amount will depend on sweetness of carrots) and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cream and bring just to a simmer. Serve warm or even at room temperature. Drizzle with a little cream and sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired.
Next Up:
Peanut Butter Cream Filled Chocolate Dipped Easter Basket Eggs

13 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hang in there with the computer issues!!

Loove that soup.

gigi said...

Oh my gracious, this sounds like something right up my ally! I can't wait to try this soup. You have not done me wrong yet so I know this has to be amazing.
Happy Easter to you and your's my dear friend.
Blessing and Miracles
(on your computer too)

Katie and Mark said...

Mmmm....Sounds good. Sorry to hear about your compter. I hope it doesn't last long. I am really looking forward to your peanut butter eggs. They sound DELICIOUS!

Michelle said...

Oh this looks delicious! Sorry about your computer. Nothing more frustrating than a computer acting up. You may have to take out a ruler and slap it a few times. ;)

Alexis said...

Sounds soooo good. We are still regularly making your tomato soup recipe so I can't wait to try this one.

Kerstin said...

The soup looks wonderful! I hope your computer starts behaving soon!

Tracy said...

I loved the story about the soup! I will definitely have to try it! Hope your computer starts behaving soon. My Easter menu sounds similar to yours. I wish I could make a carrot cake but some family members won't try it -- boo hoo! Happy Easter!

Catherine said...

This soup looks delicious and beautiful and I love the happy face!

Patsyk said...

Your soup looks wonderful! Hope the computer issues get resolved quickly!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Is it sweet in any way? The only time I tried a carrot soup it turned out to be sweet... and me and sweet soup don't go too well together. Cut back on the orange juice maybe?

~Cat

Sarah said...

I made this soup today for lunch and it was awesome!! :) Thanks for posting!!

Venessa said...

I made this for dinner and loved it. The kids on the other hand werent found of the ginger in it. Oh well cant please everyone. Do your kids like it?

Anonymous said...

carrot-ginger soup is one of my favorites! the recipe i use has orange in it too....mmm...