Sunday, October 3, 2010

Super Fast Pan Quiche

Eggs- sistuhs, you know I love 'um. I just got back from my whirlwind tour of an Egg Farm in Oregon. I'm thinking of buying an egg farm now. Not really, but ya never know. I'm going to post all about it on my daughter's blog (since the egg tour was not part of blogher paid advertising). It was a clucking good time, so head over and read about it. But then come back, and check out this super fast recipe for Pan Quiche. This was the brain child of celeb chef Jeff Saad. He wanted a quiche that was healthier and faster than a traditional French egg pie. I watched him make his Pan Quiche on a morning show in Oregon and I knew I had to come home and try it. I think I might have licked the TV screen. Here's the skinny: you toast some breadcrumbs in a skillet to form a "crust," and then cover it with eggs and add-ins of your choice. This one has spinach and cheddar, but the possibilities are as endless as my to-do list. Off I go-but don't forget to check out my egg farm tour here.
Money Saving Tips:
Did you know that eggs cost about 12 cents each? Pick up a dozen for dinner-you just saved yourself a bundle.
Super fast Pan Quiche for one
Estimated Cost: $1.00
1 teaspoon butter or olive oil
1/3 cup bread crumbs (I used panko)
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk or cream
pinch of salt and pepper
2 tablespoons cheese
handful of spinach leaves
Heat a six inch skillet over medium heat. Add butter and crumbs and cook until just toasted. Flatten crumbs down to form crust. Sprinkle with cheese and spinach. Beat egg with milk and salt and pepper. Pour over crumbs. Reduce heat to low and cover pan with lid. Cook until eggs are set, about three minutes.
PS If you like this post, send your buddies on over. There's always room for more at my table.
Next Up:
Homemade Buttery Crescent Rolls
Stay Tuned for Cookie Bookie Week in mid October

11 comments:

The Diligent Diletante said...

Great idea with the breadcrumb crust! Gonna try it out once. I just made a quiche with regular premade pie crust so it will be awhile. :-)

The Diligent Diletante said...

Great idea with the breadcrumb crust! Gonna try it out once. I just made a quiche with regular premade pie crust so it will be awhile. :-)

Prudy said...

Diligent,
You gotta try it! It was so easy and fast. My son had it for lunch two days in a row. Maybe it'll even be three-we'll see tomorrow!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love this idea! It's going on my todo recipe list!

The JR said...

I really like this idea of bread crumbs. I don't eat the crust on most pies and did not use one the few times I've made quiche.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Cheap, easy and healthy! I'm all over it!

FoodontheTable said...

Eggs are so versatile! I'm looking forward to all your recipes and tips from the egg tour!

Seth and Julie said...

This filled in as my impromptu dinner tonight when I realized that I was missing a key ingredient to the meal I had been prepping. I didn't want to drag all the kiddos to the store, so I whipped this up in no time and put the other meal on deck for tomorrow night. My little guy asked me to please make it for his breakfast tomorrow as well. Thanks for saving the day!

myletterstoemily said...

i iove the idea of this recipe and
look forward to trying it. i'm a
big egg fan, too . . . both the yolk
and the white.

some people only eat the white,
which is so silly, because the
combination is one of God's perfect
foods!

wosnes said...

I think I'll try this today for breakfast. I'll use my homemade bread crumbs. I've been baking my own bread and saving the heels for crumbs and cubes for stuffing or bread pudding (one of my all-time favorite desserts).

Michal said...

looks like this morning's breakfast, although some of my pickier eaters will eschew it for sure. somehow at breakfast, that doesn't bother me:) let them eat cheerios!