Friday, October 22, 2010

Italian Tomato and Basil Steaks in the Crockpot

I was bemoaning the lack of fall in the southwest, but now I am celebrating its abundance in the northeast. Sailor, West, and I landed in Rochester, New York early Wednesday morning. I am struck, dumb-founded, twitter-painted by all the beauty. You don't have to look hard or drive far away. It is in the backyard, across the street, growing just beyond the parking lot. Today we are heading out on a packet boat for an afternoon fall foliage tour of the Erie Canal. All of this beauty has a time limit. Frost said that nothing gold can stay. I know that one violent gust of wind will steal away all of my lovely leaf friends. I'm heading outside while I can. In the meantime, here's a savory fall recipe to share on the wake of Cookie Bookie. (If you missed any Cookie Bookie, scroll down and lick your lips.) I've got a luscious, tender beef recipe in a sumptuos tomato and basil gravy. Pour it over mashed potatoes, polenta, or buttered noodles. It will warm the soul after a chilly afternoon looking at the winsome wonders of my favorite season.
Money saving tips: Use a very economical cut of steak, since it's going to get tender in the crockpot. Don't waste your money on anything for the grill. Choose skillet or braising cuts of beet.
Italian Tomato and Basil Steaks in the Slowcooker
Estimated Cost: $5.00
1 lb. steaks-any economical cut since it will be made tender in the crockpot
1/2 medium onion, finely minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 and 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons dried basil, or 1 tablespoon fresh
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup whipping cream mixed with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Combine all ingredients in the slowcooker, EXCEPT cream and cornstarch. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until tender. Stir in cream and cornstarch and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Serve over pasta, mashed potatoes, or polenta.
Try the steaks over these buttered noodles. Toss a pound of campanelle with a couple tablespoons of browned butter, chopped basil, and salt and pepper.
Next Up:
Mini Freeform Meatloaves

9 comments:

The JR said...

That gravy makes my mouth water. Any kind of tomato sauce/gravy is something I thoroughly enjoy.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

This sounds really yummy and I look forward to making it soon.

FlowerLady

Adrienne said...

Ooooo this sounds awesome! As always, thanks for the inspiration.

Michal said...

How do you do it? I never read your blog without wanting to jump up and make the recipe immediately, never mind that it is past my bedtime right now! This is going on our menu next week for sure.

Prudy said...

Aw, Michal. That's how we got each other into trouble during our college days. We have that effect on each other, which means we never ever get any shut eye when we are together.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I just found you on the Hive...love your blog! I've added it to my reader and look forward to catching up on all your posts~

Valerie C. said...

I have a bunch of steaks in my freezer and was just looking up stuff on google about how to cook them, then I checked your blog; how ironic! Looks so good, I will be trying it soon.

Alexis said...

I made this tonight for supper. It was a crazy windy rainy day here and this made a yummy cozy evening meal. I served it over potatoes, but next time will try your yummy looking noodles.

Once again thanks for a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

I made this for tonight. My kitchen smelled like a Maggianos restaurant ALL day! I made the brown buttered noodles. It was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l! Most of my basil stuck to the bowl when tossing with the butter, and I would probably sprinkle the chopped fresh basil on top next time to prevent so much from being lost to the sides of the bowl/pan with the tossing. But we LOVED it, and my kids who are usually finicky eaters emphatically told me to make it again whenever I wanted! My daughter away at college was told all about it by the younger kids and it is on her requested list of dishes when she comes home for Thanksgiving.
Thanks so much for sharing it all with us!