Friday, October 2, 2009

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches

A very Happy Birthday to the Quiet Man today. This is a big one, folks. The big 4-0. I've been telling him for the last decade that he was almost forty, just to ruffle his feathers, so now what will I say to tease him? He's almost fifty? And to top it off.....My little boy West was coloring a birthday card and approached me with two crayons in his hand asking, "What color is Daddy's hair?" I wasn't sure how to answer. I think he already knew the answer anyway. One of the crayons in his little fist was brown, and the other was gray. I told West that in the interest of historical accuracy he'd better use both crayons. Since his Dad is just a mere decade away from 50, he'd better get used to the idea. (Besides, he really does look rather dashing with gray hair.)
And now, on to the food. You're really going to heart this one. It's a big sloppy pulled pork sandwich, dripping with savory and sweet juices, with a nice crisp and creamy slaw on a homemade wheat roll. If you're busy, skip the rolls and serve them on bakery buns. I've been using pork chops in various forms quite a bit lately, especially since Albertson's keeps having 2 for 1 sales. They're cheap, fast, convenient, healthy, and can be made into all kinds of delicious concotions. Like this sandwich. Have a great weekend everybody! See you Tuesday with a scrumptious treat for TWD.
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
Estimated Cost: $4.00
1 lb. pork chops
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons mustard
1 teaspoon or more tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours. Shred meat.
Cole Slaw
Estimated Cost: $2.50
3 cups finely chopped cabbage
1 carrot, grated
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup mayonnaise or whole milk yogurt
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons cider vinegar
Combine all ingredients in medium sized bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (I don't bother to mix the dressing separately.)
Homemade Wheat Rolls
Estimated Cost: $2.50
3 tablespoons warm water
2 and 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 cup warm milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour
milk to brush on top
In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine water and yeast. (Make sure the water is baby bottle warm.) Let sit for five minutes. The yeast should be dissolved and starting to puff up. To the same bowl add milk, butter, sugar, egg and salt. Beat for one minute. Add wheat flour, then white flour about 1/2 cup at a time. Knead for about ten minutes. Shape into a ball. Coat the outside of ball with a thin layer of butter and return to bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise until doubled, about one hour. Grease a cookie sheet. Shape dough into 12 equal size balls. Place on cookie sheet and cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375. Brush rolls with milk. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until nicely browned.
PS These rolls are insanely good plain with just a slick of butter.
Next Up: Split Level Puddings

22 comments:

Jennifer said...

Pulled pork is ALWAYS near and dear to my heart, being from North Carolina...and this looks fabulous! Happy Birthday to your hubby!!!!

Sherri said...

Oh this looks delightful! Crock pot cooking ..I love! And inexpensive. You have all my favorite ingredients for a great meal. LOL I want to try this one SOON.

Becky said...

Is it wrong to drool over a pulled pork sammie at 10:30 in the morning? I'm so making them this weekend, yum!

The JR said...

Happy Happy B'day Mr. Quiet Man!!!

Oh I do heart those recipes. Your homemade buns look to die for. Pulled pork ain't bad looking either.

Ramona

Carolyne said...

Mmmmmm, those look delicious. I wish I liked pork, but I suppose I could substitute chicken. And, I'm always on the lookout for a good roll--I bet biting into one of those is heaven.

Anonymous said...

My hubbie just turned 40 too. Man time goes by fast!

These look delicious, especially with the homemade buns. Yum!

Jeanna said...

Yum, yum, yum! Triple yum. My own quiet man and I are both hitting the big 4-0 this month, and I'm wondering if we should celebrate with this triple threat?!

Christina said...

Yummy! I'm so glad you included the cole slaw topping! Mmmm that's the only way to eat it!

Kali said...

Today is my husband's big 3-7! He wants steak but I think those rolls will go so nicely with it that I am going to start making them right now. Thanks for yet another great post!

Adrienne said...

If this is the recipe you posted last year, those rolls seriously are magical, even for a yeast klutz like me. Happy birthday to that sweet husband of yours!

Kerstin said...

Happy Bday to your hubby! Mine would love this sandwich, it's right up his alley - yum!

Janika said...

I am glad you posted this recipie. I just went to Albertsons and I was running out of ideas for my pork chops! I still have 1/2 a freezer full. :)

Tanji said...

Yummo! We loves us some pulled pork and slaw down here in the South y'all! I'm trying to stock pile some tried and true (non cream-of-soup)crock pot recipes before the baby gets here and I know that if Prudy posts it - it will be delicious! I'll make the rolls tomorrow - they'll go perfectly with our dinner.

**happy birthday Quiet Man** shhhh.

My kids would probably draw my hair black with a gray skunk stripe for my roots. I'm overdue for a touch up. :)

Alexis said...

This looks delicious. I was in the grocery store last night and wasn't sure what cut of pork chops to buy. Any suggestions.

Thanks!!

Prudy said...

Tanji! BABY????? We have to talk. How did I miss that bit of news???

Prudy said...

Alexis:
I buy any cut that is boneless. If I'm sauteeing in a pan, I prefer really thin cutlets, but for this type of recipe, any cut would work well. Even boneless, but you'd have to get the bone out of the crockpot when you were done.

Alexis said...

Thanks for the quick response :) Can't wait to make these!!

SkiTwo said...

I'm making them tomorrow! Thanks for the recipe. My family is going to love them

Michal said...

happy birthday, quiet man.

this whole recipe looks fab, especially the rolls. can't wait to try it.

Tins and Treasures said...

We had the pulled pork sandwiches with cole slaw last night...Yummo!

Take care ~Natalie

SixtyIsForty said...

I love the music! I wish I could crank it up right now, but my husband is asleep. I was looking for a sweet version of Pulled Pork and found your link on Kalyn's Kitchen. My 40 year old son loves pulled pork and I can't wait to cook it for him and deliver it to his door this week....If your husband is forty, did you know that forty is the new twenty-five?

Anonymous said...

I visited multiple web pages however the audio feature
for audio songs existing at this site is in fact wonderful.


Have a look at my homepage ... best diet plan