Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Sister Heidi's Red Curry Chicken

Live from my house, it's Saturday night. The weekend is going along just swimmingly and I'm in my pajamas early, which always makes my heart sing la-la-la. This busy coming week is going to be Share-your-talents week for the charges. My little Sailor girl has a voice recital in which she will be singing "I'm Shy" from Once Upon a Matress. Why isn't she more nervous? I'm not even sure she knows the words. I'm the one who should be up there singing because I'm living the title; when it comes to singing outside of the home, I really am shy. I could belt "I'M SHY!" and truly mean it. Tomorrow the kids are in a primary program for church. Once a year, the younger crowd share songs and spiritual thoughts about the past year's Sunday school curriculum. It's my favorite Sunday of the year, save Christmas Sunday. Wouldn't you rather listen to kids for an hour over grown-ups? Sailor and West will also be playing their violins for the program. Thank goodness that I'm not playing the piano for them, but I'm nervous anyway. West always waits until the last minute to put his violin on his shoulder. I'm in the crowd, trying to catch his eye, frowning, grimacing, motioning to him to put his violin in ready position. If he sees me he stubbornly shakes a "No" in my direction, with a playful gleam in his eye. He likes to put his violin up just as his bow comes down, a tick late for the first note. Why is this? Can somebody please tell me? My theory is that he likes to see me squirm for sport. And a few nights later, the charges are both playing their violins in the annual Halloween Spooktacular concert with the Southwest Symphony. West, dressed as Indiana Jones, will be sure to put up his violin at the last minute, just to prove that he is adventurous, blithe, and insouciant. And I'll be in the audience, trying hopelessly to signal to him to be ready. It's a little game we play, him and I. Except I'm really sweating, and he's laughing.
Since this week is going to busy, I already know what I'm making for dinner. It's my sister Heidi's chicken curry, the latest hit of the dinner hour. A few weeks ago, I wrote that Heidi left some red curry paste in my fridge, and this is the dish for which it is intended. I'm hooked. At this point, I want it at least once a day. It's delicious, healthy, cheap, and best of all-fast. At least I don't have to worry about dinner. Phew!
Money Saving Tips: A curry paste jar is a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. You can substitute red curry powder to save a little money. For a vegetarian option, swap out chicken for two cans of drained chick peas and veggie broth. Cook up a double batch of rice and store leftovers in zip top bags in the freezer for the next time you serve curry. I bet it'll be soon!
Heidi's Red Curry Chicken
Estimated Cost: $6.00 for 4 servings
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
1 tablespoon red curry paste
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
3 tablespoons apricot jam or mango chutney
chopped cilantro, for serving
hot rice, for serving

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onion and peppers and cook for four minutes. Add chicken and cook until chicken is browned on all sides. Sprinkle chicken with flour and stir for one minute. Add ginger and garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add paste and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Stir in jam and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve over rice.

PS My youngest sister Mary Kate left her lover-ly bracelets behind when she last came for a visit. If she's wondering where they are, ummm, she will find them in the above picture. I promise to return them the next time I see her, but in the meantime, ahem, I'll put them to good use. Thanks, MK!

PSS Begging your pardon, but if it isn't too much trouble, would you please click here to vote for my recipe again? You can vote once every 24 hours. A million thank yous. Or, rather, 25,000 thank yous.
Next Up:

Halloween Brownie Torte

10 comments:

Katy ~ said...

This sounds tempting. I am going to have to look for the curry paste. I have not seen it in our little stores yet.

Jhonny walker said...

nice...red curry..the thai style :)

Rich'n'Rach said...

Sounds and looks so good!!! Primary programs are by far the most entertaining meeting of all - maybe the only Sunday that everyone stays awake haha

gigi said...

I voted for my friend Prudy!
I love, love, love curry!
I can't wait to try this recipe.

The oldest GRAND~girl, Shelby was in her first primary program today!I was one proud Gigi, as she sang and recited her memorized part.
I Love Primary.

MK and Co. said...

Well, well Prudy the case of the missing bracelets is solved. It took me a few minutes to even notice those lovely bracelets looked suspiciously like my own that I cannot find (like so many other things I own). Feel free to use them as much as you like. I'm just happy knowing that the house didn't actually eat them.
This recipe sounds so good and it really does look easy and quick. I can't wait to try it.
Tell your two kids I said good luck in all of their fine arts. I wish I could see this battle between you and Westy. I bet it's hilarious!

Seth and Julie said...

Our program was today too. How did your little ones do? Did West get his violin up in time? I am just so impressed that they can play well enough to perform in the program. We had two kids on the viola but they are 14 and 16 years old. How awesome to have Primary munchkins up there playing. I bet it was sensational!

Seth and Julie said...

Oh, and thanks to Heidi too. I love curry.

The JR said...

You have 2 talented kids. I'm sure Sailor will be dynamite.

the curry looks good.

Ramona

Mary Ann said...

We had our primary program yesterday too. It was so good. Made me cry to see my little ones up there singing their little hearts out. I bet your kids were great.
I am going to make this in a couple days. Writing down the ingredients now!
I heart red curry paste.

Michal said...

heidi's cooking with chicken?

this looks great. how did the program go? i'm sure your kids did wonderfully--and that westy will make you sweat all the days of your life:)