Sunday, March 15, 2009

Corned Beef Grilled Cheese on Rye

It is very important to watch at least two movies for St. Patrick's Day, so you might want to start early. The first is "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." This Disney live-action favorite tells the story of the old Irishman Darby and his relationships with the leprechauns, featuring a close encounter with the King of the Little People, a frightful screamin' banshee, and among other things, a young singing Sean Connery. The little people at your house will be sure to love it, and I can testify that one big person, namely me, loves it well. I defy anyone not to giggle till his side aches when you see King Brian dance an Irish jig. It makes me right jolly just thinking about it.
The second movie is one of my favorites the whole year through, but it's particularly fun to watch for St. Pat's day. If you've never seen "The Quiet Man," with its gorgeous rolling green hills, thatched roof cottages, and the charming stone walled country side of Ireland, you've been missing out.John Wayne plays not a cowboy, but a tortured prizefighter, who swears off boxing after accidently killing his oponent. When he returns to the Irish town of his birth, he finds happiness when he falls in love with the fiery Mary Kate. Though he is sorely tempted to pick up the gloves against her brother, the town bully, the Quiet Man is determined not to use his fists. (I plagiarized those three sentences from the back of the DVD, which also notes that the film won two Oscars.) The fight scene, (of course you know they have to fight!) the longest in cinema history, is not to be missed. And here's a little Prudy family trivia for you: my youngest sister is named Mary Kate because of the gorgeous Maureen O'Hara in this movie. Our Mary Kate is pretty fiery too, but only if you don't feed her properly. And of course, my loyal readers will recognize the nickname for my own Mr. Prudy-The Quiet Man. He's no prizefighter, but he's every bit as noble, cryptic and quiet as the hero of the movie. Don't even bother renting this movie; go out and buy it today.
And if you're beginning to feel peckish after these movie reviews, fear not. I've got a delicious little twist on Irish corned beef in the form a lovely grilled cheese sandwich. It will come together in ten minutes with a lovely combination of rye bread, dijon mustard, garlicky butter, smooth melted cheddar, and peppery corned beef. I don't necessarily think of rye as being Irish, but look what was on the bread this week.
Thanks, and same to you!
Money Saving Tips:
Stay home and have these sandwiches for at least 50 percent cheaper than at the deli. Your best bet is to shop your grocery circulars to see who has corned beef and deli sliced cheese on sale. Pastrami is an excellent substitute for corned beef, since they are essentially the same cut of meat with a slightly different preparation.
Corned Beef Grilled Cheese on Rye
Estimated Cost: $10.00 for 4 large sandwiches
1/2 lb. deli corned beef or pastrami, thinly sliced
8 slices rye bread (my favorite is Orowheat Dilly Rye)
8 ounces thinly sliced cheddar cheese
1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 clove garlic, finely minced
dill pickle slices
Heat medium non stick skillet over medium high heat. Add corned beef and cook until browned in places, stirring often, about five minutes. Meanwhile, heat another skillet over medium high heat. Spread dijon mustard thinly on insides of bread slices. Layer with cheese and pastrami and form sandwiches. Combine butter and garlic and spread on outsides of bread. Place sandwiches in preheated skillet and cook until bread is toasted and cheese is melted, lowering heat to medium low if needed. Remove sandwiches from skillet, open and add pickle slices if desired.
Up Next:
Irish Oatmeal Cupcakes with Broiled Brown Sugar Frosting

26 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Love those films!!

Classic St. Patrick's Day fare!!

gigi said...

"The Quiet Man," is my mama's all time favorite movie. Great choice for a St. Patty's movie. Yummy sandwich too.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Sounds wonderful Prudy! We are having our annual RS church dinner that night and I am kind of in charge of it. So I was wondering what I could do for my family since I'm not going to be there for dinner. I think this is perfect. Thanks!

And I'm sorry to say that I haven't seen either one of those movies. I guess I don't have much Irish spirit. I will have to get one and check it out!

XOXO
Jen

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

My hubby loves all John Wayne movies and of course that one. He probably would really love to eat this sandwich while watching the movie. Happy St Patty's Day!

Anonymous said...

You know... when ever I would go out, I always ordered a Ruben Sandwich, which is one of my favorites, thank you for bringing those foodie delights back!!!

Katie and Mark said...

Wow! That is right up my alley. I already LOVE grilled cheese, pickles, and mustard. Plus, I am a meat eatter. Sounds delicious.

I have the worst memory in the world, but I do not remember seeing either of those movies. I seriously want to go buy them. Plus, I am not sure if I knew that was how Aunt Mary got her name! LOL

Thanks for filling me in-

Anonymous said...

i think it's great to see all the posts about SPD.. i wouldn't even know where to start other than to think of Conan O'Brien! great looking sandwich!

Nickki said...

The quiet man was my grandfathers favourite movie ever. How I miss him. The sandwich looks delicious xx

Marjie said...

Corned beef sandwiches are always terrific, especially on rye bread!

Erin said...

The Quiet Man in one of my all time favs!

The Blonde Duck said...

Excuse me. I need to go to Blockbuster and the grocery store--deli section!

vanillasugarblog said...

Look at how young sean connery looks in that pic? wow!
I haven't figured out yet what to do with my corned beef, but I know I'll make sammies with the leftovers, just like you did.

Catherine said...

I've got my DVD's and my ingredients all ready! I can't wait for my soup, sandwich, and Sean and Mary Kate! I love St. Patrick's Day. Thanks for sharing all the great recipes!

Suzie said...

Thanks for the movie tips - will definitely track them down. And happy St Paddy's day.

Anonymous said...

Prudy,
You are a woman after my own heart. I love the music - just my style, Billy Holiday, Ella, Bing, Frank, etc. And I love Arsenic and old Lace - Anything with Cary Grant, but that was his best.

I am the mother of 3 under 4 years old (the youngest is 18 months). I am always looking for good food at a budget friendly price. I will be a regular on your site from now on. (Sometimes just to listen to the music.)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I watched Darby O'Gill as a child and had no idea Sean Connery was in it! And I loved the Quiet Man too. Great movies!

Coleens Recipes said...

Your sandwich is MY idea of a good St. Pat's salute (I don't care for the whole corned beef trip) but the sandwiches are great.

Tanji said...

Sounds delish! I woke up this morning to your article in LDS Living and a silly leprechaun who left Lucky Charms in the oven. Thanks for putting so much energy into creative and thrifty cooking so we can all benefit from your great recipes!!

Sophie said...

I think I'm the 'big person' in our house who would enjoy the first film very much, so long as I get to enjoy it while eating the sandwich and those yummy cupcakes with the brown sugar frosting :). Happy St. Patty's Day!

MK and Co. said...

Wow! I love a good sandwich. I'm off to the deli today so I can have this delicious sandwich for my very own. Thanks Prudy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, now you've really gone and done it. Alright, alright. I guess I'll eat Irish for ONE MORE NIGHT. Then I'll pack my bags and move to Mexico where I can eat guacamole to my hearts desire... don't deny it, you know you want to come with me!

~Delta Whiskey

Anonymous said...

Oh! I forgot... have you ever seen Waking Ned Devine? HILLARIOUS!
~DW

Prudy said...

Delta:
I'm with you on the Mexico thing and I have been itching for Ned Divine and can not find our copy. I even told the whole story to my children on Sunday night. It's really from the Isle of Mann-but close enough to Ireland in my opinon to watch it every St. Pats.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Just have to love the old movies. Your Sandwich reminds me of Mespero's in N.O. Great sandwiches!

Jill said...

OH MY! Everything looks so stunningly delicious! I cannot wait to make this sandwich.

I found a link to your blog on a friend's blog and love it. I already posted your button on mine. :]

The Morgan Family said...

is that why you call your husband the "quiet man"? his troubled past, having to fight your brother?.... it's all making sense to me. ;)