Thursday, September 30, 2010

West's Very Academic Easy Cheese Pizza

Good marnin'. It's good to be home. I missed you, bloggie buddies. I've been in beautiful Oregon visiting an Egg Farm. I had the best time and I learned a ton. And you know me; I'm going to be sharing all of it with you, down to the nitty gritty details like how I learned to make the perfect omelet, and how I stood in a room with seven thousand clucking hens without losing my cool, and how I looked awesome in a sanitary blue mesh jump suit and white hair net. All those details are coming as soon as I get my info and pics together. For now, I'm just saying, if you ever get invited to an egg farm in Oregon-pack your bags, my friends.
Last week, my West-y boy was doing some bubble in test practice for school. You know the drill-you read the non-fiction passage and then answer twenty multiple choice questions. He'd read about round dances around the world, which he found thoroughly booooring. He read about volcanoes in the Ring of Fire, which he found thoroughly engaging. And then, he flipped the page and read a recipe with instructions: Easy Pizza. I knew, I just knew, that he would answer every question correctly. This is my child, doggone it; he better know how to make cheese pizza even without even reading that passage. Listen to these questions:
What happens after you put the dough into a bowl and cover it with a towel?
a. The dough shrinks.
b. The dough separates.
c. The dough rises.
d. The dough changes color.
and
The pizza pans are most likely greased in order to-
a. make sure the dough won't stick
b. add a spicy flavor
c. help the cheese melt
d. make the dough rise
and
What will probably happen after the pizza is placed in the oven?
a. The water will boil.
b. The dough will rise.
c. The cheese will melt.
d. The dough will divide in half.
All right, so it' s not rocket science, but I'm still proud. He got all of 25 of them correct, that little son of a baker. (Which is more than I can say about the round dance questions.) And then of course we had to make the pizza. And it was easy, just like they promised, but it was also delicious. And very, very academic. We felt smarter with every bite we took, and you will too. Especially because you'll be saving money, you scholar, you.
Money Saving Tips:
It's usually cheaper to buy cheese in block, so shred your own. (It tastes better that way, too.) Buy the big blocks for the most savings. Wrap the unused portion in waxed paper and refrigerate. If you don't have tomato sauce on hand, blend up some diced tomatoes or use jarred marinara sauce.
Easy Pizza
recipe stole shamelessly from the Test Ready program
Estimated Cost: $5.00
1 cup warm water
1 package yeast (2 and 1/2 tsps)
1 teaspoon each salt and sugar
1 tablespoon oil
3 cups flour
1 small can tomato sauce (we also added crushed red pepper flakes, dried basil, and a pinch of sugar and salt)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Pour the warm water into a large bowl. Sprinkle the yeast onto the water. Let sit for five minutes and then stir. Add salt, sugar, and oil to this mixture. Then add 1 and 1/2 cups flour. Stir until smooth. Add the rest of flour and mix until smooth. You may use your hands if needed.
2. Divide dough in half. Shape dough into tow balls. Place dough into a bowl and cover with a towel. Let dough rise 30 minutes in a warm place.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
4. Flatten each ball of dough with a rolling pin. Stretch dough onto two greased pizza pans or a cookie sheet.
5. Spread a small amount of oil on the dough. Spread tomato sauce on the dough. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
6. Bake at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Up Next:
Speedy Pan Quiche (Eggs, anyone?)

14 comments:

The JR said...

Glad your back from your trip. LOL...son of a baker...you're too cute.

Catherine said...

The pizza looks delicious. I think I know what I'm having for dinner tonight!

FoodontheTable said...

Great photo! Your son is such a great cook. I may have to try the easy pizza :)

Michal said...

I love that you made it after he finished his test:) My kids would love that. And now I want pizza, but we are having your FABULOUS tortilla soup tonight. Yum.

gigi said...

Good job, West!! What a way to learn!

Unknown said...

Prudelicious, happy Friday to you. My girlfriend and I also just returned from a trip. My homeland, Italy. I know what you're saying about being stuck in a room with 7 thousand clucking hens. My girlfriend has 7 clucking sisters. Can you imagine the holidays? Pick a little, talk a little, cheep, cheep , cheep. If I got smarter with every bite I took, I'd stop wearing my hair net to work every day. Can't wait to try the pizza........ at Thanksgiving.

Courtney said...

Hey Prudy,
As usual pizza looks delicious. My sister and I follow your blog and now we find ourselves in your neck of the woods running the St George Marathon. This is my first time to St George and I must say that it is quite beautiful. Some of that pizza would taste delicious after our run ;)

Adrienne said...

What's the quiet man doing in Houston? That's where we are! What the What?

I'm glad you are going to be doing some egg recipes. I love love love eggs. We just had German Pancakes for lunch.

Prudy said...

Adrienne:
Oh-he would LOVE to come see you guys. I'm not sure if I have your email address. Can you write me so we can work it out for a visit? He'll be there through Wed. He's training therapists for a new facility in Houston.

Adrienne said...

I just have his email. I sent a wee shoutout to the address I have from about 2 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Sounds good,and I'll try it soon. 30 minutes cooking time sounds like quite a bit, especially at 425. Is that really the correct amount of time?

Prudy said...

Anonymous:
Shoot! I didn't time my pizza so I can't be absolutely sure. I don't set a timer. I go strictly by smell. Isn't that odd? I think you're absolutely right about the time though and I'll make note of it.

wosnes said...

I think the pizza sounds simple and tasty! When the new Cooking Channel premiered, I saw Cat Cora make a skillet pizza. I think I totally misinterpreted it, but what I did was very good. Put enough oil in a cast iron skillet to cover the bottom. Put your pizza dough on top, put the toppings on the dough and bake for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees. It was one of the best pizzas I've ever made!

Prudy said...

wosnes-what a good idea! I'm going to have to try that!