Thursday, September 9, 2010

After School Peanut Butter and Honey Popcorn

You know, we started school in the middle of August, but I was sort of in denial. I was pretending that we were just playing at school, just a little molecular biology for fun. Oh, a smidge of prealgebra just to fend off boredom. The charges weren't a bit tricked-they know all about school during Christmas-just to make it easier to wait for Santa, and school during summer-just so you won't get too sunburned outdoors. These tricks up my sleeve are really just for me. I just didn't want to admit that the tardy bell had rung and school was in session in overripe August. But now, it is after Labor Day, and along with putting away my white shoes, I'm storing away my it's-not-really-school hijinks. Welcome back to school, dear readers. How was your day? Did you learn alot? Bet you're the smartest one in the classroom! You're going to give that ol' teacher a run for money. But, come on and sit down and have a little snack: peanut butter and honey popcorn. It's sweet (like you), crunchy, salty, and it'll give you lots of energy to get your homework done. That's right-homework. But finish your popcorn first.
Money Saving Tips:
Pop your own popcorn for pennies. Put a few tablespoons in a brown paper bag, fold down the top and microwave-then stand there and listen. Here's a link to the complete instructions. After School Peanut Butter and Honey Popcorn
Estimated Cost: $2.50
8 cups popped lightly salted popcorn (low-fat microwave popcorn is fine)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
Place popcorn in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and honey. Bring to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until smooth. Add vanilla, if using. Pour peanut butter syrup over popcorn. Stir and serve. (You can place the popped popcorn in a large paper bag, then pour over the syrup and shake.)
Next Up:
Blueberry Walnut Maple Granola

19 comments:

Maria said...

Love this combo! Yum!

gigi said...

Yum, I love peanut butter and I bet we would all love this afternoon snack :)

Melinda said...

We've been doing the same "pretend school" now for a few weeks. Guess it's time to pack away my flip flops too. Peanut butter and honey popcorn would sure help the reality taste sweeter!

Mom24 said...

This sounds wonderful! I detest microwave popcorn. Throw some in a pan, it's truly easy-peasy. No chemicals, either.

http://4evermom.blogspot.com/2008/10/popcorn.html

I have an amish peanut butter-marshmallow spread. I wonder if there's a way to incorporate that into this?

Thanks for all your recipes, I can always count on your blog.

Catherine said...

This looks so yummy. The funny thing at our house, is the only one of us who actually goes to school, doesn't care for peanut butter. She accidently ate all natural peanut butter a couple of years ago and now she won't touch the stuff. =D But for the rest of us, this looks delicious!

Michal said...

I'm with you. We are officially in full-tilt school now, instead of playing school like we were two weeks ago:)

This looks wonderful. Can't wait to try it. We love to have popcorn for an almost daily snack around here.

With the passage of Labor Day I am also mourning my white linen pants. Farewell till spring!

MandA said...

Peanut Butter and Honey is one of my favorite combinations. I think I'll make this tonight with the honey I brought back from my family's honey farm in Greece. Mmm! Thanks for sharing this recipe!

Harley Mom said...

This looks so incredibly delicious! Going to have to try it.

Tightwad Mom said...

Another great recipe! I am going to whip up a batch for the kiddo's lunches!

Nichicakes said...

oh man that looks good!

Catherine said...

I just notice something suspicious in your profile. I didn't know you were so close to starting prudy's parlor. I just went and had a look. I love it and I can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing Pru!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I love this recipe - thanks for it!

Anonymous said...

Such a fun treat! We made it today and everyone gobbled it up. Definitely has a fun-back-to-school-fallish feeling to it. Thanks for sharing. You're the best, Ms. SmartyPants!
A.W. :)

Unknown said...

Prudelicious, well it's Friday, the only day my girlfriend let's me use the computer. You are so right about school. The kids are always asking questions and wanting things. We are very happy to have them out of the house. The problem is, we have 3 in college!! Like any equation, 3 + college = no $$$. There is no money for peanut butter or popcorn!! What do we do?
I look forward to your next recipe with beans and rice ;)
Have a great weekend.....

christine said...

wow! Awesome Peanut Butter and Honey Popcorn recipe. Thanks for sharing. If you wont mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your post. Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post so it will appear in the Foodista pages and it's all set, Thanks!

Prudence said...

I usually don't care for caramel popcorn type treats but I loved this. I would definitely make it again.

The JR said...

I need to hit my neighbor up for some honey from his bee hives!

Alayna said...

Erin!! Love, love this one! My Mom use to make this for us all the time. Minus the sugar. It was a real treat as you know when I was young our Mom NEVER gave us sugar. I still make it from time to time, and yes, I sneak in just a little sugar!

Unknown said...

The Chanel handbag is graceful and practical, intellectual black chanel style. The chanel black I am going to introduce toady is a representation of the classic flap bag made by two tone lambskin.