Monday, June 7, 2010

San Antonio Chicken Fajitas

We were feeling impulsive this past weekend. Usually when I feel impulsive I go to a movie that starts later than nine o'clock. Ooh, wee-such adventure. Pathetic, right? I used to think nothing of uprooting my life for the promise of chaos and uncertainty. Look what the thirties have done to me! But my brother called midweek and said he had four free passes to Legoland. It was too late to take off work, and almost impossible for me to find a sub for my college classes, unless it's the Quiet Man. But, like the lure of adventure from my twenties, free stuff is my siren song. Free Legoland Passes!!! So we left Friday night, and made the six hour trip to San Diego, and found ourselves at Legoland (free passes!) as the park opened. I felt like a college kid again, taking a trip that I hadn't planned and really didn't have time for. Throwing off the shackles of responsibility felt invigorating. I hope to do it again some time, and not just for free. But I won't plan on it, because then what would be the point?
In another rash of spontaneity, I recently spotted the recipe for some truly divine fajitas. I canceled my dinner plans and ran to the market. I just knew down deep in my bones that they had to be made that minute. Oh, yes. They are now first on the totem pole, knocking my other fajita recipes down a carved face or two. The recipe hails from an old issue of Martha Stewart, along with some other classic Tex-Mex dishes, that I'm itching to try out. For anyone that loves California's El Cholo fajitas, these are pretty darn close. Maybe they're even it. Make them up tonight-impromptu. This whim is definitely worth it.
San Antonio Chicken Fajitas
Estimated Cost: $9.00 for four generous servings
FOR THE MOJO DE AJO
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons minced garlic (4 to 6 cloves)
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
FOR THE FAJITAS
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 1 cup)
1 large green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (1 small whole), sliced 1/2 inch thick
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2), sliced 1/2 inch thick
8 small flour tortillas (about 6 inches), warmed (instructions follow)
Guacamole, for serving
Pico De Gallo, for serving
Sour cream, for serving
Shredded mild cheddar cheese, preferably longhorn, for serving
Directions
Make the mojo de ajo: Cook oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat until garlic is soft and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in lime juice, red-pepper flakes, and salt.
Make the fajitas: Heat a large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat. Add oil, and gently swirl to coat. Add onion and bell pepper, and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is browned in spots, and pepper has softened slightly and skin is blistered, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and 1 teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until chicken is browned and cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mojo de ajo, and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with warmed tortillas, guacamole, pico de gallo, sour cream, and cheese.
Next up:
Strawberry Shortcakes

14 comments:

Julie Harward said...

YUMMY! I just love these...this will be one of my dinners this week! Come say hi :D

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Definitely having these this week! Thanks again!
http://barefootbysea.blogspot.com

Catherine said...

They look divine, I will be off to the market first thing in the morning!

Tightwad Mom said...

Oh, how yummy! These look fabulous!

Seth and Julie said...

Oh darn it! I just came home from the market a few hours ago. I guess I have to go again tomorrow.

Katie and Mark said...

Oh boy! Those look SO good. My Mom will be coming in to town tomorrow, and we are going to have to run to the store. :) Yummy!

The JR said...

I'll have to look up LegoLand. Never heard of it.

Fajitas look amazing. The smell drives me insane.

Lucie said...

oh my goodness, my mouth is watering! Now that is what I call fajitas - not a packet or jar in sight :) Lovely blog you have here. Lucie x

Meg said...

Made this tonight and it was deelish! Definitely a keeper. Thank you :)

Tiffany said...

So delicious! Thank you for the great and easy recipe!!

Michal said...

we need to make these when i come to visit. remember how often we made fajitas in college? i was crushed when i made them as a newlywed for my husband and realized that as he hates peppers and does not enjoy onions, fajitas are not very high up on his list. sigh. i haven't made them in years and occasionally get them in restaurants, but i would love to have these. i need to tuck this recipe away in my mind for a night when he isn't going to be home for dinner and i still want to eat well:)

Michal said...

by the way, we went to legoland for free this year, too. the kids loved it, but i would only go again if it was free:)

jeck said...

Just found your blog and I made these last night and I have to say they were super yummy! I couldn't believe that something that simple could be that yummy but it was!! I had leftovers today and I think they were even better!

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to trying more recipes!

Jessica

Unknown said...

hermes arrived up while using environmentally helpful for buying with as plastic substance 35 birkin are forbidden at many locations like San Francisco. The environmentally helpful bags of Kelly bag are supplied in wide assortment of cost tag, while using high-priced just between $960.