Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June Bug Mocktails

There are exactly seven days left in the month of June. After that, there are exactly six months left in the year 2010--but I'm getting ahead of myself. Time just keeps on ticking into the future, like it or not. I don't think there's anyone north of the equator that wants June to be over. The month is a gift of sunshine, blossoms, freedom, and golden evenings. School is out, play is in. And yet, in one week, playful June will be replaced with patriotic July. It's no reason to pout, except that I know that July will go by just ask quickly as June has gone. Life feels like a great big circle, going round and round, and you're tempted to think since there will always be another June, that nothing is really changing. But look again-the kids are growing faster than the garden corn, and the Quiet Man's hair is getting grayer, and my knees made a cracking sound when I got out of bed this morning. Time's a circle that's not only spinning but rolling forward, and darn it, if I can't stop it, I'm at least going to drink it in. So here's a new sipper that looks like a June sunset, and tastes like a sweet and fizzy flower. I spotted it in Better Homes and Gardens and the name intrigued me. June Bug. You've got a week to stir one up. (Although, you could just rename it YearRound Bug and drink it whenever you please.) And while time might be moving too quickly for me, it's moving too slowly for this little cowboy. He couldn't bear to have his beautiful, inviting June Bug just sitting there waiting to be photographed. A few minutes are an eternity at age seven. Normally, he just has to be patient. But not this time. June and life are too short. I snapped a couple of quick, sloppy shots, and then I sat down with my boy and we drank it all in. Together.
June Bugs Mocktails
Estimated Cost: $4.00
3 cups ginger ale
3 tablespoons grenadine syrup
3 tablespoons orange juice
4 scoops orange sherbet (plus more)
Blend in the blender. Divide into four cups. Add another scoop of sherbet to each cup. Do not waste time photographing. Enjoy.
Next Up:
Best Ever Lemon Bars

9 comments:

Kaylee said...

Wow prudy thats looks good!!!!!!!! do you have to use orange juice? or can you use different juices

Prudy said...

Kaylee,
Any juice would work, but some really sweet juices, like apple, might make it a bit too sweet.

The JR said...

Looks good. Cute picture of your son.

Kaylee said...

Okay thanks prudy!

Catherine said...

I can't wait to try a June Bug Mocktail. But until, I get to the market, I'll have to savor the month of June.

Tightwad Mom said...

Oh, your beverage is lovely, and the name is divine! The best part is the June bugs are out here in my corner of Idaho. I think I will make some tonight for my little brood to enjoy while they are outside trying to catch them!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Yum, what a fun drink!!!
http://barefootbysea.blogspot.com

Michal said...

I love June. Truly. And am sad to see it slip away (along with my kids' childhood). But this mocktail looks like lots of fun, especially for little boys. I know a few who might enjoy it at my house:)

cotton mattress protector said...

A few minutes are an eternity at age seven. Normally, he just has to be patient. But not this time. June and life are too short. I snapped a couple of quick, sloppy shots, and then I sat down with my boy and we drank it all in. Together.
makhmal bed sheet
bombay dyeing velvet bed sheets