Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cucumber Salad with Lemon and Feta and Grilled Garlic Bread

First Course or Appetizers for Memorial Day Here's a lovely and light refreshing salad to provide a cool counterpoint to the spicy and smoky ribs. That's what I was intending. Except at our house, we ate every last bite of the salad before the ribs even got to the grill. I say "we." I ate the lion's share myself because I'm selfish like that when it comes to outstanding spring vegetables. My big brown-eyed little boy moped, "Aren't you going to save any for me?" It was too late at that point. (Luckily I had enough ingredients to make more. Phew.)
Although this salad is exceedingly simple, it's also utterly delicious. Spring cucumbers are so cool and fresh, and suprisingly tasty when coupled with the creamy feta and a light drizzle of lemon juice and olive oil. Though I originally planned this as a side dish, it makes one heck of an appetizer before a barbecue. Especially if you serve it with crunchy grilled garlic bread. "We" ate all that before dinner also.
Cucumber Salad with Lemon and Feta
Estimated Cost: $1.50
Notes: I sprinkled my salad and bread with some chopped parsley for a prettier presentation.
1 medium to large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
about 2 teaspoons olive oil
about 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: chopped fresh parsley
Layer cucumber slices on shallow plate. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle with feta cheese and salt and pepper.
Grilled Garlic Bread
Estimated Cost: $2.00
(If you don't have a grill, use an indoor grill pan or the broiler.)
Slice a thin baguette lengthwise. Brush the cut surface with olive oil. Grill on both sides until crusty and crisp. Rub the cut surface with a halved garlic clove. Sprinkle lightly with pepper. Cut into 4 inch servings.
Coming Tomorrow: Radish and Dill Red Potato Salad for Your Memorial Day Feast

Coming Friday: Tangy Root Beer Baby Back Ribs

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's looks so cool and crisp! I can't wait to eat the lions share at my house! And yours too!

MK and Co. said...

The cucumbers look simple and delicious. Can't wait to try all of your great dishes!

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Someone at our house Loves cucumbers and someone else at our house loves Feta....It will be the perfect combo. I can't wait try it out.

Emily said...

Wow- you're really crankin out these recipes.
I love cucumber salads. This one looks delicious.
The bread looks good too. I think I read that you put pepper on the bread? That's funny, because I usually put pepper on bread, pizza, or anything, actually. I love it.
If I was ever on Top Chef, they would complain that my dishes had too much pepper...and Tom Colicchio would start coughing.

amycaseycooks said...

I love cucumber salad - I usually make the sour cream/vinegar version. This recipe looks great.

Anne said...

Wow, looks SO good and refreshing!