Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sesame Lime Pork Noodles

A couple of busy nights ago, we had 20 minute Rosemary Orange Pork Chops for supper. (Pictured to the left is a cranberry variation.) Whenever and however you next make pork chops, cook a few extra unsauced chops. Slice them thinly and toss them in a zip top bag with a couple of tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce. You're halfway to another speedy dinner. You could come back to the chops the next day, but in my effort to vary the menu and cleverly disguise any remodeled foods, I wait two days. See how tricky I am? I also don't use the word "pork" with my children. It sounds too much like "Porky Pig," and no one wants to eat a stammering cartoon character. So I just call it the "other kind" of chicken and pray they never catch an old episode of Foghorn Leghorn or Super Chicken.
Sesame Lime Pork Noodles
Estimated Cost: $6.50 for four servings
Notes: This same leftover technique works well with tofu, chicken, or beef. Pass additional sesame oil and soy sauce at the table.
If you're not starting with leftovers, you'll need 1 tablespoon cooking oil, 2 pork chops, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce.
3/4 lb. dry noodles, such as linguine or Asian style noodles, cooked according to package directions and kept warm
2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
1 bunch green onions, cut into 1 inch pieces
4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
sesame seeds, for garnish

SKIP THIS STEP IF YOU ARE USING LEFTOVERS: Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add pork chops and cook for one minute on each side. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for four minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Slice pork thinly and place in a small bowl with soy sauce. Let stand while you prep the rest of dinner.

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain noodles. In same pot, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil. Add red pepper and pork slices and cook for one minute. Add noodles, cabbage and green onion and cook for one more minute. Stir in soy sauce, lime juice, and red pepper flakes. Remove from heat. Add remaining tablespoon sesame oil. Divide among four bowls and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Coming Tomorrow:
Garlic Chive Fettucini with Sauteed Chickpeas and Parmesan

8 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I love all these quick dinners especially at this time of year.

MK and Co. said...

I love this recipe! I'm such a sucker for asian flavors! Thanks Prudy!

Anonymous said...

Prudy,

I just wanted to bring it to your attention that the picture of the Italian Sandwhich looks like a muppet character. Is there any way you can augment the picture to make the sandwhich look as if it is talking?

Heartburn in Hawaii

Anonymous said...

P-P-Prudy,
This looks p-p-perfect! My carnivores can eat the p-p-pork and I'll eat the noodles! Thanks P-p-prudy!

Prudy said...

Lisa:
Thanks and I love your little cheesecakes!

MK: I knew you'd like those noodles.

Heartburn Hula: Which muppet charachter? Gonzo? Miss Piggy? I'll work on the special effects and lasers for my next sandwich.

Catte:
How did your buttercream turn out? You are funny!

Sophie said...

Hehe, you're too funny. I never thought about how kids view the word 'pork' but I think you're right on target. Thanks for these speedy recipes, btw, lately, I've been working so much...cooking is a chore during the week :0/.

Michal said...

this looks wonderful, but the coming tomorrow recipe makes my mouth positively watery. i can't wait to read the recipe!

Prudy said...

Sophie:
Thanks! I'm glad you like the speedy recipes-it's the only kind I'm making for the next few weeks.

Michal:
I know you're going to love the chickpea pasta. Even Shane, who likes his hunk of meat, loved it!