Thursday, February 24, 2011

Orange Pecan Butter Cookies

This is a circle.

This is a more perfect circle. Num, num, num.
Here's another circle to consider: I've been nominated as a Circle of Mom Favorite for Money Saving Moms. I'm coming into the race a day late and a dollar short, so help me out by heading over and casting your vote. Much obliged, partner.
I don't know why it happens this way, but for some reason, whatever West is studying in school turns into something to eat. This week, he's been learning about the rotations and revolutions and seasons of the earth. We got an orange and marked it up with equators and poles. Then we poked a skewer through the center for an axis and headed to a dark room where I manned the flashlight in my role as the light-giving sun. Then in an elaborate and dizzy dance, West rotated and revolved with his orange-Earth. It was starting to get sticky. The orange, not the dance. What to do with a bleeding orange? I remembered a recipe I'd read recently in The Taste of Home Baking Book for orange pecan cookies. (I'm still in the money with pecans, thanks to Ramona. ) West and I mixed these up yesterday afternoon. Bonus-making a recipe helps him with two belt loops for Scouts, too. These little cookies are addictive. They're buttery and crisp, with more than a hint of orange and a crunch of pecan. They make a perfect after school or mid morning snack. So even if you don't have an assignment to finish or planet to imitate or a belt loop to learn, you're going to love them.
Orange Pecan Butter Cookies from Taste of Home
Estimated Cost: $1.50 for 2 dozen
Money Saving Tips: Stock up on butter and freeze it when you find it on sale. These cookies make good use of an orange by using up both the zest and juice. Don't fret if you don't have pecans-almonds, walnuts, or cashews would make good stand-ins. These will last all week in the fridge, so slice and bake only what you need for that day.
1/2 cup butter softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup chopped toasted pecan
In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add zest, orange juice and egg yolk, mixing well. Sprinkle salt and soda over dough and mix to combine. Gently mix in flour in three additions. Gently stir in pecans. Shape dough into 12 inch cylinder. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 1 week. Slice off generous 1/4 inch thick slices. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet at 400 degrees for about seven minutes.
Up Next: Chicken Paprikash with Buttered Noodles
PS Don't forget to vote for your
favorite money-saving Mom. Especially if it's me. :)

7 comments:

gigi said...

I voted ! Good luck.
Looks like a great recipe.

Emily said...

Done!

vanillasugarblog said...

love this combo! bookmarking this one. did you see the launch today? amazing

JJ said...

I voted :-)

Aunt Spicy said...

..and so did I ;-)

Seth and Julie said...

I voted earlier but forgot to comment. I was vote #13 and now that I am back to comment I see 47 votes and counting. Good luck!

The JR said...

Those look really good.

For some reason I can see pics but no text....