Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Refrigerator Dill Pickles and Odds and Ends

The kids around here went back to school today, but you can't make me start. No, sir. I need to feel the Fall-is-Coming-cool breeze before I begin homeschooling. (Not that we really quit during the summer-but sh!-don't tell the charges.) Fall is still many ice cream cones and days by the pool away. And what about summertime dill pickles? You need to make them while you can eat them with a grilled cheeseburger on the patio. One of my loyal readers requested that I kindly repost the recipe. They're so easy to make, even a seven year old can do it. Here's proof-this is my West making pickles on youtube. (Warning-it lasts seven minutes, so you may not want to watch unless you are struck by insomnia or you are eleven months pregnant, craving pickles, and relegated to bed rest. Or just because you feel like it.) Here's the link.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K027V7LTuLUIn



In other news, I'm still gushing about Food on the Table. (Hopefully there'll be stores in every neck of the woods, across the nation soon so that we can all gush together.) It's so fantastic to select sale items from my grocery store and have recipes and grocery lists generated for me. Look what's on my menu this week, thanks to Food on the Table.Here's my grocery list. And this is how much I spent for my entire week's worth of groceries: $53.49! I didn't just buy food for my recipes. I bought the usual stuff too, like cereal, milk, yogurt, orange juice, ice cream, baking staples and lunch foods. I had some produce in the garden and some staples on hand-but honestly, I'd say I saved an absolute bundle. I'm hopeful it will be a useful tool for all of my readers! Give it a try. Oh and one more thing-have you bought any Push Up popsicles this summer? (And in case you're wondering-no he doesn't brush his hair in the summer. Unless it's Sunday. And even then, not so much.) This is West's winning design on the package! You can't see it too well in the picture, but it's a little robot all made from Push Up popsicles. Oh wait-here's a better picture. Come by and have one at our house. They're all the rage with the whippersnappers that don't go back to school in August. Refrigerator Dill Pickles

Estimated cost: $5.00
Notes: The price will vary depending on the cost of your local cucumbers, but it's still going to be lots cheaper than purchasing pickles.
about 10 Kirby cucumbers, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
fresh dill, about 10 sprigs
6 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1/4 cup salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon black pepperLayer cucumbers, onion, and garlic in clean glass bottles. In a medium saucepan, boil water, vinegar, salt and sugar. Let cool for five minutes. Pour over cucumbers in jars to cover and refrigerate. (If you run out of liquid, just add equal parts water and vinegar.) Cucumbers will be best after one week-but I can never wait that long. Good luck!
Coming Soon...(In no particular order, or as the mood strikes)

Mexican Grilled Corn, Chicken Fettucini Alfredo, Blueberry-Walnut-Maple Granola, Blue Cheese Rib Eye Steaks, Tomatillo Guacamole

12 comments:

The JR said...

Luv the recipe. Dills are my favorite pickles.

Yoo Hoo, congrats to Wes on his design.

Seth and Julie said...

Thanks for the reminder. When West won that contest, I kept telling my kids to remind me to buy Push-Up Pops this summer and then at some point I forgot. I just put it on my grocery list for Friday. I am excited to see his winning wrapper up close.

Michal said...

I love this recipe and have made it several times since you first posted it. It makes a great gift to take to someone pregnant or someone who doesn't eat sweets. And with a burger? Heavenly.

Prudy said...

Michal,
Thanks-we just made tons and tons and they're already mostly gone. They are just so much better (and cheaper) than anything at the store.

Emily said...

He is the cutest kid EVER!!

The pickle jokes were great. I laughed.

Quirky Jessi said...

I very much so want to try out Food on the Table, but the site is screwy for me right now. I signed up and it won't let me go anywhere without picking a store....which there are none in my state, lol. I even try logging out just to view the site, or going to the main URL, or clicking any of the other links for that matter, and it pops up the error. Boo. :( I'll clear my cache later and try again. It seems like too good of a site to pass up.

Summer Miller said...

How long will the pickles stay good?

The Inexperienced Foodie said...

thats great i was just about to make my own pickles for the first time!

Unknown said...

For a more ed hardy subtle and elegant ed hardy shoes look, consider a form ed hardy clothing fitting easy to slip in ed hardy clothes and out of floor ed hardy store length dress or skirt. They ed hardy Bikini are available in bright patterns, many ed hardy swimsuits chic designs, and ed hardy Caps an array of colors buy ed hardy or one solid and dignified color. They ed hardy swimwear are comfortable and flow freely allowing ed hardy sale for more room to move and even ed hardy glasses dance.If you are looking for a comfortable cheap ed hardy and fashionable maternity blouse, there Christian audigier are blouses of every variety that are both stylish and comfy.

Unknown said...

If you're searching for a high-fashion, heirloom-quality accent to alarm your own, you can't go amiss with a lv handbag! handbags louis vuitton Flight Paname Takeoff Bag Men's lv is still on the top. As I see its aberrant animation lies in its top superior products, character as able-bodied as its abysmal basis in the culture.

Anonymous said...

Can anyone help, i would love to try these but in the uk we only get ordinary salad cuecymbers, could i use these?

Anonymous said...

yeezy
yeezy 500
paul george
palm angels
air jordan travis scott
goyard outlet
nike sb
off white shoes
kyrie irving
off white hoodie