Thursday, August 19, 2010

Mexican Chile and Lime Corn on the Cob

My mom used to go to the grocery store every school day at 5:30 AM. Since there were ten kids in the house, she didn't even bother trying to keep the cupboards full. (Truthfully, if the cupboards were even remotely stocked, we just ate more and emptied them again.) Mom just went back to the grocery store, morning after morning, and bought what we needed for the day. I still remember waking up for school and almost tripping over the bagged groceries at the foot of the stairwell-sourdough bread, orange juice, milk, eggs, cheese and the like. (I wonder if I ever offered to unload the groceries. Hmmm. Highly unlikely. Sorry, Mom.) Last night, I woke up about 2: 30 and couldn't sleep. I started making lists: to-do lists, guest lists, homework lists, and grocery lists. Grocery lists! Why not just head to the store? Following in Mom's footsteps, I headed out the door in the lonely dark of 5:30 AM. People, now I know why she went that early every day. The dazzling efficiency! The store was stocked with groceries and empty of people. There was not one soul in line at the check out. Two people bagged my groceries, and at least three people offered to help me out to my car. (No, but thanks.) I could get used to this early morning royal treatment. The next time I'm struck with a bout of sleeplessness, I'm heading straight to the produce section.
Today I bought all of the things my mom used to buy: the sourdough bread, the orange juice, the milk, eggs, and cheese, but I also bought corn. And lots of it, people. My little sister started making this Mexican style corn on the cob last week and we've hardly gone a day without it since. You take a fairly healthy piece of corn on the cob and then you transform it into evil decadence by slathering it in a creamy chili lime sauce and rolling it in cheese. Oh, it's bad. So bad that you're going to want it almost every day. And you just might find yourself at a grocery store at 5:30 AM snatching up dozens of ears of corn on the cob. I'll see you there.
Slather corn with dressing...
Roll in cheese...
Prepare to become seriously addicted.
Mexican Chile and Lime Corn on the Cob
Estimated Cost: $4.00 for four ears
My sister got the recipe off this gorgeous blog from her husband's cousin. Hey, it's all in the family.
4 ears corn on the cob
3 Tbs. mayo (or swap out Greek yogurt, or even melted butter)
2 Tbs. sour cream
1/4-1/2 tsp. lime zest
juice from 1/2 a lime
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. chili powderpinch kosher salt
1/2 to 1 c. crumbled Cotija Cheese (or queso fresco) We liked parmesan, too.
Grate Cotija cheese with a fine-hole cheese grater and place on a plate.
Boil corn until tender.
Meanwhile, combine mayo, sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, chili powder, and pinch of salt.
Spread warn corn with mayo mixture, then roll corn in grated cheese. Serve with lime wedges and a sprinkle of extra chili powder.
Next Up:
Avocado and Nectarine Salad with (Leftover Chile Lime Dressing)

13 comments:

The JR said...

That corn does look addictive! I'll go check out the blog.

Thanks for sharing.

Evelyn said...

Oh my...I'll be trying this today!!!

Catherine said...

That looks delicious! Is this the same corn you had with your Fresh Mozzarella and Basil sandwiches last sunday? I've got company coming this weekend and I want to replicate that menu for Sunday dinner.

Julie Harward said...

Oh my...I was being careful with the butter and now this...looks so good!!! ;D

Unknown said...

All I can think of when looking at the picture of your corn is "Nacho Libre". I have always wanted to eat corn that way!

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that ever since I saw "Nacho Libre", I wanted to corn this way, too. (Which seems strange since neither Nacho or his sidekick make it look super appetizing). Yet still it intrigued me and I LOVE Mexican food so I'm so happy to have the recipe.
Thanks again Prudy!

JJ said...

seriously E, that made me a little teary-eyed thinking about all moms do for their kids! Thanks!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Hi Prudy!

You always make me soooo very hungry! I have so many recipes I need to try! Love the the video of your son making the frig pickles. Looks like I may be able to make those! LOL! I miss Leslie bringing over fresh cookies. I guess I better make a visit to grab some!

Thanks for the inspiration Prudy!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Katie and Mark said...

Hooray! You've done it again! I was craving Mexican Corn on the cob a couple weeks ago and never got around to googling a recipe. :) this looks so delicious. It reminds me of good old East LA.

Anonymous said...

this is by far our favorite snack. Here in Mexico they sell the elotes preparados everywhere! it is not expensive and delicious. you should try it!

Michal said...

Oh, you are so evil! And so wonderful. I do love the grocery store bright and early, but there are so many things I am trying to fit in during those wee small hours of the morning that I often end up at the grocery store late at night when everything needs to be restocked.
I can just picture your mom going shopping every single morning because her kids ate until the cupboards were bare! She is an amazing woman, your mom.
Looks like you've been having fun as usual. Is H still in town? I wish I was there hanging out with you two. xoxo

Paige said...

Hello! I just had to share that i went to the grocery store today to buy these ingredients and i couldnt find "chili powderpinch kosher salt" i think i thought the powderpinch was a brand name? I'm not really sure..either way i figured it out lol..was interesting though with 2 young guys trying to help me find the "powderpinch" brand of chili flavored kosher salt!

Prudy said...

Oh, Paige!!! Sorry about that. You're a good sport. I commit to edit better right now. I owe you one!