Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Keys to Good Cooking

Recipes make assumptions. My dad taught me that to assume makes an-uh, never mind. Cookbooks make assumptions that the people reading them actually know what they're doing. I do it all the time when I write my recipes. I presuppose that you all know your way around the kitchen fairly well and you know not to put a lid on your green vegetables when they're cooking and how to look for fudgy crumbs on you are toothpick when your testing your brownies. Where do beginners go to learn these things? And where do experienced cooks look for handy tips about the best ways to choose and use ingredients? I'm really excited about a new book that releases in October. It's called the Keys to Good Cooking by Harold McGee. I haven't read the whole book yet, but I've been lucky enough to browse through some of the general info and tips. It is wonderful. The book covers the gamut of foods, from soup to nuts. I love the idea of having one reliable book for good information and factoids that will help me improve as a shopper and cook. I'm planning to give a few out for wedding shower presents this spring. I'll be posting a full review of the book in November, as part of a book tour for TLC book tours. Until then, I'm reading up on advice on how to perfectly cook different cuts of meat, how to pick out fruits, and how to preserve the life of fresh herbs. You can preorder the book on Amazon right here. I used the book's advice just tonight when I was deciding when to take out my meatloaves. Thanks, Mr. McGee!
I'll be back with some fun ideas for Labor Day BBQs. See you soon.

9 comments:

myletterstoemily said...

what a wonderful cookbook for a
new bride!

Katie and Mark said...

That could be a wonderful cookbook for an old married woman too! ;) It sounds perfect for me!!! Sometimes I read recipes over and over trying to decode what the heck they mean. LOL I even have to google certain methods, ingredients, and/or instructions to figure it out....embarassing-I know! The point is-I really need that cookbook! I'm always willing to learn.

Also, would it crack you up if I told you I could not decide when to take my turkey meatloaf out of the oven tonight? I'm serious! We MUST be realted...lucky me!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Looks like a great cookbook for everybody in between!

Prudy said...

Katie-I'm telling you, I need it too. It's so great to have a handy reference. Meatloaves on Tuesday, huh? It seems like we are always in meal sync. Your kids school pics were adorable, by the way.

The JR said...

I might need a copy of it. I find myself trying to figure out stuff all the time.

Heather J. @ TLC Books said...

See now, I'm one of those people who didn't know you're not supposed to put a lid on green veggies while cooking - seriously, that is new to me. I'm really excited to check out this book and see what everyone on the tour thinks of it ... thanks for being a part of it!

Unknown said...

For a more ed hardy subtle and elegant ed hardy shoes look, consider a form ed hardy clothing fitting easy to slip in ed hardy clothes and out of floor ed hardy store length dress or skirt. They ed hardy Bikini are available in bright patterns, many ed hardy swimsuits chic designs, and ed hardy Caps an array of colors buy ed hardy or one solid and dignified color. They ed hardy swimwear are comfortable and flow freely allowing ed hardy sale for more room to move and even ed hardy glasses dance.If you are looking for a comfortable cheap ed hardy and fashionable maternity blouse, there Christian audigier are blouses of every variety that are both stylish and comfy.

Unknown said...

\With the low prices, you can aces several pieces of bargainTiffany adornment at just hundreds dollars.Nearly anybody loves Tiffany Jewellery and the sales of Silver Jewellery adornment are on a accelerated rise. you can acquisition any beautiful Tiffany Key Rings adornment which you like.

Anonymous said...

I used to be extremely delighted to locate this web site.I desired to say thank you to you with regard to this wonderful read!!! I absolutely loved every small little bit of it and We've you bookmarked to check out new issues you put up.

--------------------------------------------
The Bay Area 华人
Also welcome you!