Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Simple Strawberry Tart



If I was wishing for my kids to stay babies in my last post, I just may have gotten my wish. In a round-about way. This week, I'm borrowing a ticket to Babyland. My sister Mary Kate and her husband are off to the Cayman Islands, and I'm watching their five children- their five children plus my two charges, so seven total. Here are the ages of my new brood: 10, 9, 8, 7, 5, 3, .75. We will have great fun, I think. But the truth is, I'm a little bit scared. I don't know if I have what it takes to mother a big group of kids. I don't wake up in the middle of the night, change diapers, keep my eye on run away toddlers, or clean high chairs. I'm hoping it'll be just like riding a bike, and I"ll be able to hop right on and get into beach cruising mode. Or at least mountain biking mode, with few bumps but clear, majestic views. Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.
In the meantime, here is my Tuesdays with Dorie assignment for a Simple Classic French Tart.
I couldn't find my tart pan (Do you have it, Mom?), so it isn't exactly a tart. If you haven't got tart pan, your pie plate will work splendidly.
I used only strawberries, since they are the cheapest berry for this time of year. The pie was positively scrumptious, a perfect combination of creamy pastry cream, shortbread crust, and jam-glazed berries. I can't wait to make it again.
But I'm not certain I can take that on while I'm babysitting. I'll keep you posted on all my (mis)adventures this week.
Scroll down to the right post.
Up Next:
Asian Steak Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing

14 comments:

Liz Autry said...

this looks absolutely wonderful! how do I get the recipe?

Tightwad Mom said...

What a beautiful dessert. I love strawberry season! Your blog is fabulous; I have to get my "Prudy" fix everyday now!

Prudy said...

Oh darn, Liz! I forgot to post the link. I'll do it right now.

The JR said...

Good luck with the 7 young ones. Get rest when you can!

Nichicakes said...

Wow you are a brave brave woman to watch over 7 kids, and your sister is lucky your willing and able ;)

gigi said...

How fun to have all the kiddo's with you this week!

Christina said...

Good luck with your crew this week!

Your strawberry tart looks divine!

Cristine said...

Your tart looks great! Thanks for baking along with me this week!

Good luck with all the kiddos!

Katrina said...

I have four boys and the reason I have four is because I do not want five. ;) (adapted quote from Bill Cosby). Good luck. I know I'd be pulling my hair out with more kids around here.
Yummy tart to help!

Julie Harward said...

Oh YUM! Love this! Thanks for sharing it. Good luck with the kids..you'll have fun! Come say hi :D

Michal said...

i want to know what prudence is going to be feeding her larger crew this week? will she whip up elegant and delectable meals while juggling the extra kids, or will little caesar's and taco bell save the day?;)

as i saw that someone here has already quoted bill cosby, i think you might take a page from him if things get desperate and serve chocolate cake for breakfast. then they can sing, "prudy's great! gives us chocolate cake!"

vanillasugarblog said...

oh boy 7 kids...i'm afriad to read the next post, but it looks like you survived.
i love simple tarts with perfect fruits. our berries (at whole foods) just came in and they are huge and organic, so i stocked right up.

Unknown said...

For a more ed hardy subtle and elegant ed hardy shoes look, consider a form ed hardy clothing fitting easy to slip in ed hardy clothes and out of floor ed hardy store length dress or skirt. They ed hardy Bikini are available in bright patterns, many ed hardy swimsuits chic designs, and ed hardy Caps an array of colors buy ed hardy or one solid and dignified color. They ed hardy swimwear are comfortable and flow freely allowing ed hardy sale for more room to move and even ed hardy glasses dance.If you are looking for a comfortable cheap ed hardy and fashionable maternity blouse, there Christian audigier are blouses of every variety that are both stylish and comfy.

Unknown said...

When the sale dropped due to the admission of Chanel in the market, Chanel Quilted suffered from huge business losses.The true clientele of the chanel shoes brand, however, remains unaffected.