Friday, May 21, 2010

Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Raspberry Bars

School is almost out around these parts and even we obsessive homeschoolers snap the whip just a little bit less often in the summer. Those last few weeks of school are hard-going. I think it's because human beings have a tendency to psychologically prepare ourselves for only the designated amount of time required, and no more. If we know school gets out on June 1st, then we start dreading school around the end of April. If we know a marathon is 26 miles long, then we start feeling wiped out around mile 20. If we know that a pregnancy is nine months long, we start to gripe and swell around month seven. Well, I usually complain my way through the whole thing, but still. So here's what I propose: tell the kids that school gets out in August. Then on June 1st, surprise them by yelling "School's Out!" and promptly squirt them with a bottle of silly string. I think it might just cure end of school year burn out. And if that doesn't work, you could always try these oatmeal peanut butter- raspberry bars. They seem like the perfect afterschool snack, especially when you've got a passel of hungry little mouths around 3:30 PM. When I was babysitting a million and one babies last week, I got the idea for these bar cookies. I never actually made them, because I was babysitting a million and one babies. See how cute they are. This is just a sample section, since they couldn't all fit in one picture. Aren't they sweet? They're hungry too, and sick of school, so you better get mixing. My family found them to be the perfect afternoon snack. They were hearty and delicious, and the perfect cure for May's sick-of-school blues. Hang in there, kiddos. You're almost there.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars with Raspberry Preserves
Estimated Cost: $2.50 for 12
Notes: These would be delicious with just about any flavor of jam or preserves, so be creative.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter (don't use natural style)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour (I used half whole wheat)
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup raspberry preserves
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8 or 9 inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, cream butter and peanut butter with brown sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Stir in powder and salt. Gently mix in flour, then oats. Pat half of mixture into prepared pan. Spread with preserves. Crumble remaining mixture over the top of the preserves. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown and set. If you want them to slice perfectly, let them cool and then chill for 30 minutes. If you don't care, dig into them warm with a tall, frosty glass of milk.
Next Up:
Rhubarb Strawberry Jam

16 comments:

Catherine said...

That looks delicious! We've been reading "Mary Poppins" and Mary always want rasberry jamcakes with her tea, so Annabelle has of course been dying to have a tea party with rasberry jamcakes and I think that theses would be just perfect. She's sick in bed today,
(against her will) so maybe a batch of these will cheer her up. Thanks for sharing Prudy.

Janssen said...

Since I only have natural peanut butter at home, I'm curious how come you recommend not using it?

Kaylee said...

Wow prudy you are amazing! I'm going to get my babysitting course on july 9th ad lets just hope I can pass it:)

Tightwad Mom said...

You are just fabulous! I love this recipe! I'm going to whip a batch up for the family BBQ tomorrow. Child #4 is going to die and go to Heaven over these.

Prudy said...

Janssen:
It could work, but sometimes it can separate in your recipe, leaving with you an oily crust. If it was all I had at home, I'd chance it for sure.

the thrifty ba said...

this has been 'bookmarked' and will be used soon!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

SO SO Good! Must try it again!

myletterstoemily said...

unbelievable! i just made those
but without the oats.

i will totally use oats next time!

Shelley said...

Prudy, Help! I am in the midst of making these, and do not know whether to use baking powder (recipe ingredient) or baking soda (as stated in the recipe directions) - and I'm not smart enough to know when to use one or the other...

Prudy said...

Oh no, Shelley! Sorry-it's powder. Although, they'd probably work just fine with soda too. I'll fix it right away.

Julie Harward said...

Oh Yummy! I love this one. The kids are all so cute too! Come say hi :D

Amanda said...

Those look great Erin! The kids are so cute :)

The JR said...

Wow, 7 or a million and one - way too many kids for me to babysit.

Bars look great.

Michal said...

Today is our official last day of school per the charter school, but we will do two subjects a day (most days) while we are in town this summer. I just can't let go of our history, which we still have about 12 chapters to complete, nor to lose our math skills. And my kinder kid and I will focus on reading more this summer. However, since we do some school year round, we start slacking off after spring break and doing a lot more exploring and less seat work:) It all works out.

My kids are making a pound cake today for their supervising teacher from the charter school, but we are planning to bake a fun treat together soon, as the strict portion of my diet is winding up. They can't wait:) Now to keep it off while baking my favorites . . .

Unknown said...

For a more ed hardy subtle and elegant ed hardy shoes look, consider a form ed hardy clothing fitting easy to slip in ed hardy clothes and out of floor ed hardy store length dress or skirt. They ed hardy Bikini are available in bright patterns, many ed hardy swimsuits chic designs, and ed hardy Caps an array of colors buy ed hardy or one solid and dignified color. They ed hardy swimwear are comfortable and flow freely allowing ed hardy sale for more room to move and even ed hardy glasses dance.If you are looking for a comfortable cheap ed hardy and fashionable maternity blouse, there Christian audigier are blouses of every variety that are both stylish and comfy.

miawri said...

Hi There,
Thank you for sharing the knowledgeable blog with us I hope that you will post many more blog with us:-
Heavy Hitters' Cherry Lime is a hybrid with enticing and vibrant cherry and lime notes that result in a euphoric and bright, full-bodied high perfect for enjoying a sunny day outside.
Email:sales@420greenstorm.com
Click here for more information:- more info