Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cinco De Mayo with Ay Mamacita Red Chile and Cheese Enchiladas


I love how Cinco de Mayo never sneaks up on you. You always know what day it will be because with even a cursory understanding of espanol (never have mastered the tilde over the n on the computer), you've got the date etched in your memory. When do I need to have the enchiladas ready? Why, on Cinco De Mayo, of course. Easy. Other holidays, like Easter for example, require constant flipping of the calendar. Easter-who knows if it will be in March or April? Sometimes it even gets squished so far into March that the Peter Cottontail and Lucky the Leprechaun have terretorial gang fights. Not so, Cinco de May-o. Cinco De Mayo (like Fourth of July) looks you straight in the eye and lets you know right when it's coming and how long it'll be staying. And isn't long, either. Put on your sombreros and get ready, mis amigos. This year, we're making cheese enchiladas just because they are so darn delicioso, that's why. Here's how you're going to make them:
Start with some homemade enchilada sauce. Don't be scared- it's muy sinchy. I like the sound of that. Muy sinchy. I'm getting a little carried away with this Spanglish thing, huh? I'll try to cut back, but I can't promise ninguna cosa.
Throw together some filling. I've got shredded sharp cheddar, green chilies, sour cream, and a bit of onion.
Lightly fry some tortillas.
Roll them around in the sauce.
Fill er' up, boys.
Stack them on top of each other while you're rolling them up, just to save some work space inside the pan. Spread them out in the pan with plenty of room to breathe. Cover with any extra sauce and just a sprinkle of cheese.
Bake it just an itty bit, just to get things bubbling. Tengo hambre all over again.Oh, don't eat them yet. You'll burn your mouth on hot melted cheese. I'm just guessing because I didn't do that. No senor, I always wait and let things cool. Tengo paciencia.
I serve them with some homemade refried beans and a little bit of shredded cabbage with a lime and sour cream dressing, and some chopped red tomatoes. But even all alone, they're worth every last bite. So what are you waiting for? Cinco De Mayo is just a few dias away. Hasta Manana.
Money Saving Tips:
Hey-you're already ahead of the game. You're going to feed four for less than the price of one plate at a restaurant. Making the sauce on your own saves you cash-especially if you use chicken bouillion cubes for the broth. Save even more buy stocking up on your favorite cheeses when they're on sale. Buy tortillas in bulk and freeze any extras or better yet-make a big bag of healthy baked tortilla chips.
Red Chile and Cheese Enchiladas
Estimated Cost: $8.00 for 12
For Enchiladas:
2-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
12 tortillas
1/2 cup shredded cheese, for top (I used cheddar and jack)
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro, or sliced green onions, for garnish
For Sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoon flour
4 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
1 cup tomato sauce (if you can find it, try El Pato spicy tomato sauce in the yellow can)
For Filling:
2 cups shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
1/3 cup finely minced onion or scallions
1/2 cup sour cream (I used Daisy light)
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add tortillas, one at a time, and lightly fry just until softened, adding more oil as needed. Stack tortillas atop one another on a paper towel. When finished, in same skillet heat oil for sauce. Whisk in flour; cook for one minute. Add chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Stir for one minute. Whisk in chicken broth and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionaly. Prepare filling while sauce simmers, by combining shredded cheese, chilies, onion, and sour cream in medium bowl. Preheat oven to 425 if you are baking the enchiladas now. Grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan and an 8 inch square baking dish. Pour about half of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the large pan. Pass the tortillas through the sauce, on both sides. Add about 1/4 cup filling and roll up. Stack rolled tortillas atop each other in pan, so that you still have workspace to dip tortillas in sauce. Repeat until all tortillas are rolled, then arrange tortillas between the two pans. Pour remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle lightly with cheese. (Can be prepared up to this point. Cover tightly with foil and refrigerate for up to two days.) Place tortillas in 425 degree preheated oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until just bubbly and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro and let cool for five minutes before serving. (If baking refrigerated enchiladas, increase baking time to 20-25 minutes. Keep covered with foil for first ten minutes of baking, to prevent drying.)
Next Up:
So Easy Un-Refried Beans-in the SlowCooker

18 comments:

Kaylee said...

Hey Prudy!!!! thats is such a good meal. You are a person that I would love to be you when I grow up... Anyways I have a blog http://theworldofkayleandreggie.blogspot.com and I would love for you to be my follower...Take care Kaylee

Julie Harward said...

This looks so good, a good recipe and way to do it all...YUM! Come say hi :D

Fantastic Mr. R said...

I'm in love with those enchiladas. It's the middle of the night and I just want to get up and bake enchiladas. Beatiful photos and great writing.
I want to be you when I grow up, too. :) Maybe you should teach a course on that this fall.

The JR said...

Keeps you guessing when they change the dates of holidays....

The enchiladas look outstanding.

Regan Jones said...

Muy Beuno!

Catherine said...

I've had enchiladas on the brain this week. These look delicious. I think I might save these for Mother's Day. I'll make them on Saturday night and then I won't have to watch my poor husband (who is happy to cook on Mother's Day but I feel bad watching how long it all takes.) cook, but I won't have to cook either.

Anyway, thankyou for the recipe, they look delcious.

Anonymous said...

Tried the enchaladas at the Mayan this weekend. They should be called the encha nadas as in don't order. But for that matter their whole menu is horrible. Maybe I can convince Miheidi Mouse to make these - look good. I know she reads the blog and this is a good non shovenistic way to drop that I might want these for dinner one night In a non 1950s wife sort of way. But her cheese enchaladas are good too, in fact I hate to share them, if you recall the famous fight you thought was so hilarious years ago.
Miguel

Courtney said...

Oh how I love Mexican food - that is what attracted me to your blog in the first place - all the mexican recipes! Keep 'em coming! Looking forward to the un-refried beans - you are posting it before wednesday, right?

Unknown said...

The enchiladas look great, and I'm even more excited about the beans... Will you give us a hit about the ingredients as I'm going to the store early tomorrow morning and want to make sure I have everything.

Emily said...

Yum! How did you know I've been craving cheese enchiladas? ;-) And I've been looking for a good enchilada sauce recipe, too. You're my hero(ine)!

Seth and Julie said...

We had chicken enchiladas for dinner last night and it looks like we will be having cheese ones tonight. Yum! I LOVE Mexican food!!!

Emily said...

I'm making these. No doubt about it.

gigi said...

YUM!!!!

Jennifer said...

looks fabulous! These I will definitely have to try! =)

Michal said...

my mouth is watering. you always know how to do mexican food so well-- nearly all my favorite mexican recipes come from prudy or her alter ego;)

Anonymous said...

You can find a lot of Hogan scarpe out there that feature cartoon and movie characters. When you keep these four characteristics in mind while shopping for your Hogan scarpe donna , you'll be sure to find a pair that will last and that your child will feel comfortable in. One example of shoes that can be purchased online with relatively little trouble is Hogan scarpe uomo .

Jeanne said...

I made this last night. IT was amazing. THanks!

Anonymous said...

Do not rush out and make these. I did and am very sorry to have a mushy tasteless mess. Yes, they look pretty, but taste so wrong. I am a fairly experienced enchilada-maker, but these were a mistake.