Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Carrot Ginger Dressing for Asian Steak Salad

While I was busy with babies last week, the garden wasn't exactly resting on the couch, eating potato chips. My garden has good old-fashioned integrity, so it stayed home and put in an honest's weeks work. I was met with an overgrown welcoming of spinach, radishes, and green peas. Winter was soft and braised, but spring is fresh, crunchy and inviting. Who can resist working outside under blue skies, gentle breezes and smiling sunshine? West and I cut spinach this morning and gently washed the leaves. We picked and shelled the peas, then rinsed and trimmed the radishes. Sailor was sick in bed, missing some of spring, but we promised to save her some of the garden for when she is feeling better. When it comes to math papers and violin practice, my charges are perfectly happy miss out due to illness. But work in the garden is different, especially harvest work, since the fruits of your labors are figuratively and literally drooping from the vine. So sleep soundly Sailor; the spinach, and peas, and radishes-and yes, even the spring- will wait for you to get better.
Before I left to babysit, I used some of our garden produce and a piece of soy-marinated grilled steak underneath one of my most favorite salad dressings. This one is a copycat version of the Benihana Japanese Steak House ginger spiked carrot dressing. It's ridiculously low in fat yet absolutely thick and dreamy. The ingredient list is long, but you just throw everything in the blender and give it a whirl, so it's actually fairly quick. The flavors are amazing and completely addictive. Try it on a brown rice salad, or as a dip for edamame. And have a wonderful, beautiful spring day.
Carrot Ginger Dressing
From Joy of Cooking
Estimated Cost for dressing: $2.00 for 1 and 1/2 cups
1/2 cup coarsely chopped carrots
1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
1/4 cup peanut or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped onions
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons catsup
2 teaspoons fresh lemon jjuice
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 dashes hot pepper sauce
Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth and thick.
Next Up:
Oatmeal and Peanut Butter Raspberry Bars

16 comments:

Elaine said...

My goodness....this looks really good....just what I'm in the mood for these days. Thanx! :)

Julie Harward said...

YUM...this looks wonderful to me. Your apron matches my kitchen! Thank goodness for gardens..we eat out of it all summer long! Come say hi :D

gigi said...

Yum! Looking oh so good.

The JR said...

The dressing sounds great. I really luv those Japanese steak house dressings.

Tightwad Mom said...

Sounds delicious! I have spinach just begging to be eaten; I'll have to give this a try!

MK and Co. said...

I must officially thank you Prudy dearest for watching all 5 of my kids while I was away on my wonderful trip. It was just so kind and an amazing of you to be willing to come to my home and take care of my big, young, and very chaotic family. Thank you for also taking care of all the cleaning, cooking, and laundry that comes along with that size of a group. You deserve something splendid and fantastic and I'm on the hunt for just such a thing. And yes you are going to have to accept it! I insist! Thank you again so much. Adam and I really had such a great time together and it would not have been possible with you. THANK YOU Prudy!

And of course this salad looks so delicious. I love all of these flavors. I can't wait to try this one.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I've got to try it! Looks fantastic!

Michal said...

mouth watering. nearly drooling.

Adrienne said...

Hold the phone. How'd you do those carrots in the salad? It looks like they are thick slices, with what, a vegetable peeler? I have a bunch of life-size carrots (not minis) and I hate hate hate chopping them into coins.

Shelley said...

A winner! Mmmm....healthiest, tastiest meal I've made all week - absolutely divine! Great way to sneak more veggies into my 13-year old son, too. What do you put in your brown rice salad? I have enough left for another meal.

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Adrienne:
For the salad, I just cut baby carrots into matchsticks with my chef knife. You can do it with big carrots, too. Good luck!

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Shelley,
I know you caught my email, but for other readers, I would include cashews, peas, red bell pepper, scallions in a brown rice salad with this dressing. It'll be fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I was going to make this and decided to find it in my Joy of Cooking book instead of referencing your site, which is when I noticed that the book lists rice vinegar as one of the ingredients. Did you mean to leave it off of the recipe on your site. Just curious, since, coincidentally, I have none. By the way, I love your site! Thanks!!

Prudy said...

Anonymous:
I didn't notice that I left out the rice vinager when I made it! I'll have to try it again with the rice vinegar. I wrote the recipe exactly as I had made it.

Unknown said...

For a more ed hardy subtle and elegant ed hardy shoes look, consider a form ed hardy clothing fitting easy to slip in ed hardy clothes and out of floor ed hardy store length dress or skirt. They ed hardy Bikini are available in bright patterns, many ed hardy swimsuits chic designs, and ed hardy Caps an array of colors buy ed hardy or one solid and dignified color. They ed hardy swimwear are comfortable and flow freely allowing ed hardy sale for more room to move and even ed hardy glasses dance.If you are looking for a comfortable cheap ed hardy and fashionable maternity blouse, there Christian audigier are blouses of every variety that are both stylish and comfy.

Unknown said...

We shouldn’t forget of course up to this day that Breitling is collectively with luxuries like the most expensive automotives symbolise one’s social and financial status. If somebody is looking at the Breitling Watches its like flashing your name all over.In this case let’s see what are the world most expensive Replica Breitling .It fetches world record price at auction $11,002,500 is the most ever paid for a pocket Replica Breitling Watches anywhere in the world.