Monday, June 29, 2009

Best Ever Lemon Blueberry Muffins

Home. Home Sweet Home. After nearly a week in the car with a passel of frisky (but suprisingly well behaved, considering the confinement) children, it's awfully nice to be home. Now that I'm back, I'm re-relishing every minute of my trip. Before I cast myself erelong into whatever comes next in my long line of projects, I want to share a little bit of the fun places we've seen.
Nantucket was the yearly vacation place of the Quiet Man's family. I confess that I hadn't even heard of it before I met him. Nantucket is a tiny island off the coast of Cape Cod, just a bit further east than Martha's Vineyard. In it's heyday, Nantucket was home to a booming whaling industry. Some savvy city planner was smart enough to insist on preserving the history and charm of the island, which retains the cobblestone streets and the Cape Cod style houses complete with the roof top widows-walks of yesteryears. I could wander the island for days on end, just staring at the houses. It's the painted doors that really make me flutter my lashes. There's not a color in the world that doesn't look purdy with salt stained shingles. Not to mention the quarterboards bearing the cottage names. A lovely tradition, don't you think? Here are a few of my favorites:Some are clever, like this "ALOFT"..."The Inn Between"
This one's on Union Street....And these two are on Fair Street...Some are just sweeter than apple pie....And some have classical references.....But this one is my favorite. If I ever become rich and famous, you'll know where to find me. You can't read the quarterboard because of the climbing plants, but it reads "The Fair Ever."I think it would be lovely to spend just about Fairever there. Sigh..... (But home is awfully nice too. And comfy. And my parents are across the street. I'll never leave.) And now I think I will share these fabulously delicious muffins with you. Once when the Quiet Man and I were on Nantucket we stayed at an adorable bed and breakfast. The first morning, they served muffins. They were quite good we thought, and so the next morning we were excited to go down to breakfast and see what they had next to offer. Muffins again. Still good. And the next morning? Muffins? Hmmm. And so it went all week. These muffins that I'm sharing are better than theirs, but still don't eat them all week, OK? Although you'll be tempted because they are just that good. They'd make an ideal Fourth of July breakfast, and speaking of which, I'll have a yummy Fourth of July menu right here all week long. So come on back. Lemon Blueberry Muffins (adapted from a few recipes)
Estimated Cost: $3.00 for a dozen
2/3 cup sugar
grated zest and juice of one lemon
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspooon salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 and 1/2 cups blueberries, (frozen is fine)
For icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium bowl, rub sugar and lemon zest together with finger tips. Whisk in flour, powder, soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice, and melted butter until well blended. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and very gently toss to combine. Add berries. Bake in paperlined muffin tins for 18-20 minutes.
Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice to make a glaze. Drizzle over muffins.

Coming Up All Week:

Fourth of July

Spicy Blackened Corn Potato Salad

Catalina Island Cheeseburgers

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Welcome back! I love your photos (and the muffins, of course!) I've never been to that area and I'm definitely inspired now.

Catherine said...

I hope I get to Nantucket someday. It looks so darling and so charming. Someday . . .

So glad you're home. We've been missing your family so much!

I remember these muffins from my bedresting days and they really were wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I can't wait to see all your delicious 4th of July fixins!

Unknown said...

Glad you had a safe trip! The houses do lok so quaint and charming, Love that!

The muffins sound so yummy!

gigi said...

Loved the little tour of Nantucket. Glad yall are home safe and sound. Love the idea of these mfuuins. I've got everything except a lemon to make these.

Jamie said...

I have always wanted to visit Nantucket and Cape Cod. Thanks for sharing this muffin recipe. I just made some muffins I'll be posting about later this week. These will be next on my list. I love anything lemon and blueberry. Sounds like a great combination.

Leslie said...

I adore Nantucket. I visited there as a teen and loved it. I am sure I would love it even more as an adult! Love the muffins

Chelsea said...

As a true blue New Englander, I just loved this post. We East Coasters do have a penchant for naming our houses (my parents' house, for example, is "Kaerlihill"). Anyhow, Nantucket and muffins make for a delightful post :)

Stacy Hoover said...

Great pictures. So beautiful!!! We recently moved to the west coast and I miss the east - sniff, sniff. One look at those pics and who wouldn't miss it?

The muffins look amazing! What a perfect way to use all of the blueberries I got on sale last week! Hang on little blueberries, looks like it's your time to shine! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

welcome home! i'd love to go to nantucket. it looks so quaint and charming.

those muffins look delicious. especially with the glaze on top!

Patsyk said...

Those muffins look like a wonderful way to start the day. But, it's those photos of the doorways that are so charming that really caught my eye today!

Anonymous said...

I made these for breakfast this morning and they are fabulous! I used half whole wheat flour and they were still moist and delicious. Thanks for the great recipe!

Katrina said...

I just made Dorie's last week and they were good, but I love your glaze on top of these!
Nantucket looks and sounds awesome!

Anonymous said...

I made these muffins yesterday and they came out just as beautiful as your picture (that's not always the case!) The glaze was a delicious topping.

The JR said...

Love the houses. Muffins look good. Ramona