Friday, June 27, 2008

Lime and Soy Grilled Tri Tip

Anticipating a visit from my sister and her family, my dad (who is also my neighbor) came home from Costco bearing three pounds of tri-tip. I wanted it for myself. Not just to eat, but to marinate, grill, carve, devour.... I can share when it comes to the eating part, but the preparation is MINE.
When you have a beautiful cut of meat, it requires very little fuss- a bit of marinade and just a few minutes on a very hot grill. Use my grilling method below to get perfectly seared meat with a medium interior. This method works well with any good quality steak that is about one inch thick. You'll also love the flavor the savory lime marinade imparts to the meat juices.
Whenever you can get a good deal on tri-tip, try this easy recipe. Dad got this tri-tip for $5.99/lb, so check your local Costco for a similar deal. It was my intention to also share a left-over recipe, but I'm telling you, not only was the tri-tip gone, but the meaty juices were also licked clean.
Lime and Soy Grilled Tri-Tip
Estimated Cost: $7.00 for four servings

1 lb tri tip

1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce

juice of one lime

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 tablespoon lemon pepper

In a zip top bag, combine all ingredients, massaging through closed bag to blend. Let marinate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Preheat grill for hot cooking. Discard marinade. Place steaks on grill, close lid and cook for three minutes. Flip and repeat for three minutes. Reduce heat on grill to medium and cook for three minutes more on each side. Total cooking time should be 12 minutes. Let rest for five minutes. Carve on the bias. Drizzle cut meat with any accumulated juices. Coming Tomorrow:

Food and Furthermore and a Fourth of July Menu

13 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Another great looking recipe! Looking forward to your 4th menu!

Heather B said...

oh that sounds so good! I love any type of meat marinated in lime!

Unknown said...

Looks fantastic - now I just have to find some tri-tip! In the northeast, no one's heard of it...

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Prudy, my mouth is watering! What a great recipe. We are cooking steaks this weekend, and I will surely give this marinade a try!

Thanks, girl! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I love Costco.
Amen

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the ideal recipe for the weekend, when I just want a delicious, unfussy, grilled steak. I love lime, and I love soy, so this is perfect! Costco is the best--as long as you don't go nuts. I'm always amazed at the high quality of their meats at such a low price.

Patty said...

Yummy! This looks SO fantastic! I'm going to a cookout tonight - I just might have to bring this!

Chef Jeena said...

Oh I am so into marinading at the moment! This is a great recipe the meat looks very tasty and well cooked yum!

Jenny said...

Beautiful and perfect for the 4th!

Leah said...

Yummy, Prudy! So sad I didn't realize this earlier in the day, before I dashed off to Costco....I'll have to make the trek back tomorrow or Sunday. Soy based marinades are favorites of mine....I'm a saltaholic after all. Have a super weekend. ;-)

Lore said...

And you honestly believed you'll have leftovers? :)
My husband loves a good soy based marinade so this delicious steak would be just perfect for him.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love lime in a marinade. I have tagged you for a meme

amycaseycooks said...

Looks tasty!! We ate a lot of tri tip when we lived in California. I'm going to ask my butcher if he can get me some soon!!