Friday, June 13, 2008

Grilled Rib Eye Steak with Horseradish Thyme Compote

Why is it that when you think of a manly meal, you never think of a skewer of pink shrimp? It's never a slice of broiled chicken, a tenderloin of turkey, or a sauteed piece of tofu. It has to be beef. To make it even more masculine, it has to be grilled beef. This virile hunk of protein is for my husband, the Quiet Man. He doesn't ask for much. Just some occasional household harmony, an adventure book, and a grilled steak every once in a while.
Lucky for me, this rib eye was on sale for $5 a pound. It did have an ominous warning sticker on it: Use or freeze today. I didn't care so much about the sticker, but I did care that it was nicely marbled and a deep red cherry color, the sign of a nice fresh cut of meat. At home, I coated it generously with black pepper and a bit of salt. After 10 minutes on the grill and a brief rest, I plopped on a little pile of buttery compote.
I posted the Horseradish Thyme Compote a couple of days ago when I showed you how to make the cheesy bread. Don't be scared of horseradish! It adds just a slight peppery bite, and it has neither horses nor radishes, promise! A little of this decadent stuff goes a very long way. From one batch, I made a rib eye topping, garlic bread, and had enough to throw some extra on some roasted potatoes, this week. I've still got some in the freezer.
Scroll down further for a complete Father's Day menu with recipes.
Grilled Rib Eye with Horseradish Thyme Compote
Estimated Cost: $9.50
I made mine for much cheaper, but you've got to spring when the meat is on sale.
1 lb. rib eye steaks
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 teaspoons pepper
Preheat the grill for hot cooking. Coat the steaks with pepper and salt. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium. Let rest for five minutes. Top with a dollop of Horseradish Thyme Compote.

Horseradish Thyme Compote
Combine 4 tablespoons softened butter, 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, 1 clove garlic, 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried), and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Roll into a cylinder, wrap in waxed paper and store in fridge or freezer.

LEFTOVER COMPOTE BONUS:
Roast some red potato pieces tossed in olive oil at 425 for 30 minutes. Toss with thyme butter when they come out of the oven.
Coming Tomorrow:
Prudence Pennywise Tip for Popcorn

9 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

It is 7:30 in the morning and I am ready for a steak!

Lore said...

Yes is has to be beef (or pork if you'll ask my hubby). I guess guys could spend their entire lifes eating beef-only meals and feeling happy about it. Great looking dish! Love thyme with potatoes!

Lauriesconsult said...

Erin-You almost make me want to cook. I love your site, the music, the recipes and your ever clever writings. Keep up the great work !!

Marie Rayner said...

That tears it Prudy!!! I know now what I am making my Todd for Father's Day! Wait ... is that selfish? (steak is my favourite meal tee hee!)

Anonymous said...

My husband will love this and it sounds nice and easy, just the way dinner ought to be! I hope the Quiet Man enjoys his steak, I think my noisy man will love this!

Catherine Wilkinson said...

speaking of husbands...wait until mine sees this! Rib eye is his favorite and I have this feeling we'll be toasting you on Father's Day!

Emily said...

Mmmm...meat.

You know what else horseradish is really good in? The dip that comes with a bloomin' onion. I love that stuff.

Amber said...

Yeah for Utah girls! As you were commenting on my blog, I was browsing yours. I have so many recipes from your blog that I want to try now!

Steph said...

That steak looks mouth watering! A definite must try! Great blog by the way!