Thursday, June 5, 2008

Garlic Chive Fettucini with Sauteed Chickpeas and Parmesan

I can't decide if I like the name chickpeas or garbanzo beans better. They are the same thing, known by two different odd names. Garbanzo sounds cuckoo, like Gonzo the blue muppet. Chickpeas sound like a spin on Molly Brown's (the unsinkable one) nickname "Chick-a-pen." Which name do you like better? Leave your preferred choice in the comment section. Or should I mix them up and call them chick-anzos, or gar-peas? On to the pasta... Aunt Marilyn, whom we visited this week, has a thriving herb garden. For me it's like going to the farmer's market. I left with sacks of fresh thyme, three different varieties of mint, cilantro, and these garlic chives. If you've never seen them before, you might mistake them for green onions. One bite and you'd know the difference. Think of the bite of garlic with the sweetness of spring scallions. I'm hooked and I want more.
I know that they'll be difficult to find, so don't worry. All you need to do is substitute 1/2 bunch of green onions and 6 garlic cloves. Either way, this hearty and healthful pasta is sure to please vegetarians, meat eaters, and penny pinchers alike.
Garlic Chive Fettucini with Sauteed Chickpeas and Parmesan
Estimated Cost: $5.00
Notes: The vegetables are unbelieveably good on their own, too.
1/2 lb. fettucini (whole grain works well)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (15 ounce can) chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
2 cups broccoli florettes
1 tablespoon butter
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 bunch garlic chives, cut into 1 inch pieces (or substitute 1/2 bunch green onions and 6 minced cloves of garlic)
2 teaspoons lemon zest, plus lemon wedges for serving
2 ounces shaved parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Bring large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; drain and keep warm. In a separate non stick large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chickpeas and saute for about five minutes, until browned in places. Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta liquid and broccoli. Cook until liquid evaporates and broccoli is bright green, about two minutes. Add butter, pepper flakes, and garlic chives; cook for one minute; season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vegetables with drained pasta, adding in reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, lemon zest and parmesan cheese. Divide among four bowls and sprinkle with additional parmesan and garnish with lemon wedges.
Here's what my sick little boy had for dinner instead... I'll take some of that, too.
Coming Tomorrow:
Pennywise Tip for Past-its-Prime Fruit

20 comments:

A said...

YUM! This dish looks sooo delicious! I will be adding this to my shopping list when I return home.
I personally like the name "chick peas" I don't know why... maybe because it's a little easier to pronounce and has a little more sass...
I have beeen sooooo busy this entire time in St. George... when I return in August we shall get together :)
You are great!

Honeyed Hashette said...

This sounds wonderful and looks yumtastic! I will definitely be trying this out!

Cute site!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Oh! And you should check out my friend Mara's site "Lick the Spatula" she takes amazing pictures and her site is all about baking. :)

Anonymous said...

Prudy,
This looks so good! You made us something similar when we were there in April, and my kids actually ate the brocolli, so I think they would love this one! Oh yes I like the name garbanzo bean better because it does sound like Gonzo and also because I could never stand they way Johnny is always calling Molly chick-a-pen! Even as a child it drove me crazy! And I agree with you chick peas sounds likes chick-a-pen! Maybe we should pull a Mom and give it a new, original, unique, name that is all it's own. How about magic beans! (We watched Max and the Beanstalk yesterday! =D )

Thistlemoon said...

I like all the names - and use them all too! You could also call then Ceci, the Italian word for them! Anyway you call them, I love them and always have them on hand!

Leslie said...

Why not just call them" Gonzo" Beans.
West's dinner looked delicious, too.
Can't wait to try them both.

Emily said...

I always liked chickpeas more, but now I really like chick-anzos. Catchy.
This dish looks great. Would you believe we have garlic chives in our herb garden? I hardly ever use them. :(

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Looks great! I love fresh herbs and I prefer to call them chickpeas. But now that I think of it, my dad used to call them cici beans also.

Prudy said...

Janna:
Thanks so much-I wandered back over to your site. It's gorgeous. I added you to my blog list.
Catte:
I like magic beans. Johnny Brown got on my nerves as a child, too. Now I think he has a heart of gold and Molly deserved a spanking! Hello Annabelle! Happy June Sick.

Leftover Queen:
Ceci is the best name yet.

Leslie:
West's dinner does look good and the truth is he probably would have eaten the same thing if he was healthy.

Emiline:
Use your garlic chives! I love them.

Lisa:
There's another Italian food word for you!

Michal said...

prudy,
why do i always feel hungry after reading your blog? i can't wait to try this one out on my family. and i like to call them chick peas more, even though i probably call them garbanzos more often. but i like the sound of chick peas.

Jenny said...

Looks incredible Prudy! Just my kind of dish, PASTA. I'm trying to resist eating so late right now, but this dish is making me hungry!

MK and Co. said...

Garlic chives! That' the best thing I've ever heard of. I've never had any but would love to because I'm such a fan of garlic. This pasta looks divine and I believe I like chick-anzos the best.

Annemarie said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I can't wait to try it!

RecipeGirl said...

I don't know how I missed this one... I'm a chickpea/garbanzo bean fanatic. They're on my salads every lunchtime. In pasta though- that sounds great!

Michal said...

i just made this recipe tonight and loved loved loved it. i doubled it because i have a larger family. loved the garlic chives (which were free from alli's garden). i had to omit the lemon zest :( because this penny pincher wouldn't pay $1.29 for one lemon. i'm sure it would be even better with the zest. i did add a splash of lemon juice, but i know it's not the same. even my carnivorous husband loved it.

Robyn Lee said...

Just saw this tonight, had to run out and make it! : ) Soooo good!

Robyn Lee said...

Just saw this tonight, had to run out and make it! : ) Soooo good!

yanmaneee said...

nike air max 95
converse shoes
yeezy wave runner 700
hermes belts
kyrie shoes
christian louboutin shoes
jordan shoes
jordans
irving shoes
vans outlet

thysaez said...

replica wholesale handbags high quality designer replica luxury replica bags

shysme said...

More Info look at this website go to this web-site my link browse around these guys you could try this out