Monday, June 23, 2008

Food and Furthermore VII

We're getting to be a hefty group of penny pinchers. Last week we had about 3,000 readers. Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell your dog walkers, hair dressers, and aroma therapists. Scroll down for the Family Reunion Report and this yummy dip recipe.....Greetings from New Orleans! I had every intention of continuing with daily posts. I cooked through our family reunion, I posted through out Salt Lake City vacation, and I planned to forge ahead through my current business trip. Alas, the hotel offered wireless Internet at a whopping $15 a day. To be worthy of the appelation "Prudence Pennywise," I felt I should decline, and I missed you deeply and terribly. But now, with the conference beginning, I've got free wireless at the conference center. I'm back, and I'm cheaper than ever, dear readers....
Furthermore....last week was the gimungous, hugantic family reunion for my side of the family. 40 plus cousins, 10 siblings and spouses, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews all converged in my town for a whopping good time. Let me give you a couple of snippets of our activities. We saw the Sound of Music at an outdoor theatre....
We had daily family breakfasts and devotionals. My sisters have a flair for food presentation. I could learn alot.

My clever sister Laurie posted the day's activities on her handy bulletin board.
We had a Western Party, complete with a square dance caller. Yee Haw! It's funner than you think, this square dancing stuff. I could have do si doed all night. And then promenaded some more.
Big Stuff likes watching better than dancing, but we let him be since he pays for all the parties. Thanks, Dad!

We rented out a burger joint and had a 50's party. Think hula hoops, burgers, fries, shakes, and
dancing! I won't mention the sleepless night making that pink poodle skirt. But my little girl is smiling and happy and so am I. Yawn.
Now for the food....We can't have a family party without our slightly odd but very famous "R" family dip. It might sound strange, but don't be put off. It's easy, fast, and totally addictive-so be warned. You can use veggies, or baked chips but the best dipper is a Ruffles potato chip, hands down. Put some out for your 4th of July BBQ.
R Family Cottage Cheese Dip
Estimated Cost: $4.00
16 ounces small curd cottage cheese, preferrably Knudson
1/2 cup mayonnaise (double this amount if you are making it for my dad)
3/4 cup chopped green onions, plus more for garnish
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Combine all ingredients. Garnish with extra green onions and black pepper. Serve with Ruffles. Eat at every family party.

Coming Tomorrow:
Tuesdays with Dorie
Cherry, Raspberry and Blueberry Cobbler

15 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow! What a nice family reunion! Dip looks great. ghave a good week!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I missed you yesterday! I love that you posted the cottage cheese dip, and now I want to try it with your measurements, and see if that's how I'm doing it or if I do it slightly different. One thing is sure, I double the mayonaise for Pop,too! I loved all your pics of the reunion, too! Soo cute!

Michal said...

yeah! i'm so excited to have big stuff's famous dip again. i've never been able to get it right. we will definitely be having this soon.
looks like a fabulous reunion. your family always has thrown the best parties.

Jenny said...

Cute! I love all of your family reunion pictures, and those poodle skirts, what a good mom!

The dip sounds great!

Have a great week!

Sophie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Wishing you a safe trip back home :)...I'm convinced that wireless should be free everywhere :D, btw!

Allison said...

What a great reunion. I would have loved to be in the neighborhood so that I could stop by and see everyone again!

...and I agree, the dip is addictive with ruffles!

Melanie Anne said...

What a fun family reunion party!! WOw--very cool! The dip looks good! I make one with cottage cheese, diced cucumber and paprika. You serve it with nacho cheese doritos. It is very addicting too. I will have to try yours for our next family party! Thanks!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Glad to have you back with free internet Prudy! Have fun in New Orleans! That'a a big family and everybody looks happy and well fed!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

I found your blog randomly. Cute blog.

Emily said...

I love chips and dip!

The reunion sounds fun. I can't believe how big your family is! I wish my family would do something like this. I could go for some dancing.

Marie Rayner said...

Great recipe and lovely pictures of what looks like a wonderful time with family!!

Megan said...

The trip sounds like a blast, thanks for posting. I am not sure about the dip of mayo and cottage cheese, but I certainly do trust your recipes! I will give it a go!

Thanks!

Anne said...

Your little family looks so cute with the outfits! Looks like a great family reunion- I think you have a big crazy family like mine, and they're the best! :)

Anonymous said...

I will not approve on it. I assume polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.