Saturday, August 16, 2008

Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad

I must have simple ideas for yummy weekend lunches. I can't be bothered with fussy foods when there are errands to run and bathrooms to scrub, parties to attend, instruments to practice, and miles to run before I sleep, and miles to run before I sleep. And now that the school year is back in swing, Saturday is all that is left to me for domestic organization. Doesn't domestic organization sound awfully drab? 10 years ago I'm sure I didn't spend one minute of my Saturdays on domestic organization. What I really want to do on Saturday is stay in bed and read a novel, go out for breakfast-brunch-lunch-dinner and then ice cream, take my novel to the pool, come back to a clean house (from a maid who works for free out of the kindness of her heart), catch an Oscar worthy PG rated movie with the whole family and a giganto bucket of buttered popcorn, and then take my same novel to my clean-sheet bed. Did I miss anything? What's your ideal Saturday?

At least I know I'm going to get a good lunch on this busy weekend day. Chicken salad only feels fussy when it really comes together in a snap. I especially adore this lemon and basil version, since it tastes very classic, only with a bit of a fresh zing. Make some today or tomorrow, because after that, well you know the "M"day is lurking.....
Money Saving Tips: You'll feed the whole family lunch on less than what you'd spend on one bakery sandwich. Hopefully you've got a freezer full of chicken that you bought on sale. Plan ahead to have cooked chicken on Saturday. Grill, bake, or poach it a little extra during the week. Even if you use canned chicken, I won't tell. You can use dried basil if you fresh is too pricey. Swap out the lemon juice and zest for vinegar if necessary. I used soft wheat rolls on sale from the bakery, but any soft sandwich bread works well here.
Lemon and Basil Chicken Salad
Estimated Cost: $3.50
Notes: Serve this up with potato chips and watermelon. Use any extra within two days.
2 cups chopped cooked chicken
1/3 cup mayonnaise or whole milk yogurt
1/3 cup sour cream (light works well here)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus 1 teaspoon zest
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 rib celery, minced
soft rolls or sandwich bread
crisp lettuce leaves

In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Slather on rolls and top with crisp lettuce.
Have a great weekend.
Next Up:
Homemade Brown Sugar and Pecan Granola

29 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love that this has celery in it. I have to have a little crunch with my chicken salad. This is a great idea for a weekend. Snazzy and simple at the same time. You mentioned scrubbing bathrooms- are you available later today? I could use some help :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Sounds great and I have plenty of basil growing in the garden. My weekends sure have changed since I had kids!Today there is karate and a birthday pool party, and I am about to go on a morning run.

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

I love fresh basil! This recipe looks great.........I saw the kettle cooked chips on your plate.......those are one of my moms favortites!

Hannah

Amy said...

This looks SO good and refreshing!! I think you described the perfect Saturday!! We were up at 5:30 this morning getting ready for scout day camp. I wonder if I will ever get to sleep in again:)

gigi said...

I've got the chicken cooked and ready! I just need the fresh basil!

Sorry about the good novel thing. I could never put his books down either!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Let me tell you, I'm finally getting a little of my weekends back after 18 years of domesticity! It takes a little of the bite out of the whole empty nest thing!

Candy

Anonymous said...

I think that my ideal weekend is the same as yours. Reading in bed and by the pool, catching a good movie, a clean house, and time with the family, sounds heavenly. The sandwich looks great. I just found a crazy amount of canned chicken in one of my too high cupboards (I think the in-laws put it there) the stuff totally grosses me out, but I'm the only one in this family who that bothers, so . . . maybe we're having this for lunch, today! And your chips looks so good, what kind are they?

Prudy said...

Catte:
I'm on a very non frugal kettle chip kick. It started in Ca. Those are salt and pepper kettle chips. They're ridiculously expensive-$2.50 on sale for the small bags, but I'd rather have a little bit of those than loads of a cheaper brand. I also love the yogurt and green onion, and the Tuscan four cheese. The Thai are soooo good but very very spicy so only I would eat them. Not even MK or Les of SungJin wanted any.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Another great way for me to use up leftover roast chicken! The lemon and basil combo sounds great - lovely and fresh

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

You like spicy foods as well! My sister and I are spicy food lovers along with my dad.

Yep salt and pepper chips my moms favorite! I've never seen the yogurt and green onion!?!? Sounds good!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to be able to sleep in till noon. Eat breakfast when I'm supposed to be eating lunch and just leisurely make my way through the day. But, alas, my 2 yo doesn't know how to sleep past 7. :-)

BTW, come check out my blog. I have a little award for you.

Sara said...

Looks great Prudy! I'm excited to try this with the yogurt. My husband is not a fan of the mayo and is sure that it is going to clog his arteries. I don't remember the last time I had a saturday like you so lovely described. Probably before the kids...maybe! Have a great weekend! By the way...I made your quick spicy rubbed grilled chicken this week, and it was amazing. It was so packed with flavor. I can't wait to make it again.

Chef Jeena said...

Your chicken salads are the best! I love the combination it is so tasty and looks great.

Maria said...

we are painting our new house this weekend and it is no fun I wish I had time and a place to cook your salad looks good

Dr. Mom said...

I would be content to just sleep to 8 undisturbed by kids and pets. Your recipe looks yummy! I can't wait to try it.

Natalie Que said...

This sounds so simple, yet the flavors of the lemon and basil make it delightful. I love when people use real chicken for chicken salad too!

Aggie said...

I'm a big fan of kettle chips too...they are an addiction of mine.

I love your chicken salad and your idea of a perfect Saturday...hope you are having a great weekend! : )

Emily said...

Well, I think this looks very good, but I have to admit, I'm craving a corndog right now. I didn't even know I liked corndogs!

Marie Rayner said...

Lemon, Basil and Chicken. What more could you ask for! Fabulous!

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks delicious! I love the zest to it!

My perfect weekend day would be attending some brilliant kickboxing class that would burn like 1000 calories and leave me feeling happily wiped out, then going out for a sandwich at cookie with my husband at our favorite deli. Then I'd spend the afternoon writing, scrapbooking and reading novels. Ben would cook me hamburgers for dinner and buy me peanut butter ice cream for dessert.

I don't like Mondays either.


And I agree with you about Austen Land. I thought she did a good job capturing the mood though. Your little girl might like her book "Princess Academy." It's a really good book about a 14 year old girl growing into herself in a fantasy town.

RecipeGirl said...

This sounds quite delicious. It would be fun to whip this up with the already roasted chicken breast that they sell at our local market.

My ideal Saturday is boogieboarding at the beach w/ my family :)

Katie said...

I like your ideal Saturday. My ideal changes from season to season (and weekend to weekend) - I can never make up my mind!

Lainee said...

I liked your ideal Saturday. Yesterday was a good day for me, nothing to big going on. Just a few loads of laundry and toilets to scrub.
I always seem to have to go to the grocery store on Saturday afternoon. So I picked up some basil and made this for dinner. I have to say it was really tasty. I don't know what it is, but the last 3 Saturdays I have made some type of sandwich for dinner. ( I think it is the heat!) Thanks for the recipe.

vanillasugarblog said...

You make such wonderful meals. I am a huge fan of chicken salad. I love to make different ways.
Also, I love those corn dogs!! Oh they were just mouth-watering.

gigi said...

Oh my good gracious, this was wonderful! We had it for Sunday night dinner and it was a big hit! Thanks, I'll be using this recipe again and again! Loved it!

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious, I think my kids would love this for breakfast. We made your corn and cheese dogs this weekend and loved them!

Lore said...

Oh this salad was stuck in my head all the weekend. I was able to take a look at my feeds before heading on a weekend short trip and ever since I saw this pic I knew it was a winner. Love it!

Anonymous said...

YUM... I so have to try this. It sounds (and looks!) like something I'd fall in love with. :)

Patsyk said...

In the colder months, I like to roast a chicken on Sunday and then use it to make dinner for a couple of nights and often a chicken salad for lunches during the week. I love making one chicken stretch into other great meals!

I'll have to try your chicken salad... it sounds like a nice change from the one I usually make.