Just went proofreading through this post-yikes-forgive the earlier errors! I hope everyone had a Firecracker, Firecracker, Sis-Boom-Bah Fourth of July! We spent our holiday with our good friends the "O" family. My friend, Mrs. O (Stephanie), brought over her ice cream maker and a luscious but oh-so easy recipe for no cook vanilla ice cream. Her ice cream maker is apparently on its last leg. While churning out the delicious frozen confection, it moaned and wailed like a calf being separated from his mama. I didn't even know ice cream makers could do that. I'm glad it had at least a little spunk left in it, or I wouldn't have been able to tell you about this super recipe.
Since this recipe has no eggs, you won't have to cook it or strain it. You can mix it up right in the freezing container, so no extra dishes. But ease is not its only charm. I've made a lot of easy no-cook vanilla ice creams before, but this is the first one that is truly creamy. It was so creamy and good, that I'm making it again tonight for a party. Quiet Man is having his coworkers and families over for swimming and a BBQ. The festivities continue!
Stephanie's Easy Vanilla Ice Cream
Estimated Cost: $4.50
Notes: I think I finally understand why most people claim vanilla as their favorite flavor.
2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
2 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
6-8 cups milk (Stephanie used 2 percent)
In the freezing container from your ice cream maker, combine condensed milk, cream, and vanilla. Add milk just to fill line and stir again. Process according to manufacturer's instruction.
Coming All Week Long:
What to do when your gentleman/cowboy neighbor drops off this:
Lisa, my blogging buddy at Jersey Girl tagged me with this meme! I'll pass on the tag this week sometime.
1) LAST MOVIE U SAW IN A THEATRE? Indiana Jones, for old time’s sake. Besides Marion is my favorite heroin. She’s got spunk and sass. No wonder Indy went for her in the end.
2) WHAT BOOK ARE U READING? Just finished Berg’s A Year of Pleasures
3) FAVORITE BOARD GAME? Scrabble, Battle Ship and 221 B Baker Street
4) FAVORITE MAGAZINE? I’ve been getting Bon Appetit since I was a teenager.
5) FAVORITE SMELLS? Honeysuckle, clean laundry with Tide and Downy, grilled steak, fresh basil, garlic warmed in olive oil…
6) FAVORITE SOUNDS? The “thwack” when you sink your knife into watermelon, my kids on violin and piano, my husband and my little boy singing-since they don't do it very often, Christmas Carols after Thanksgiving, church bells, a windstorm
7) TELL ME ABOUT FOOD. Do you have to ask? That’s what the blog is for.
8) WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU THINK OF WHEN U WAKE? How much can I get done before 8 AM?
9) FAVORITE FAST FOOD PLACE? Just Café Rio. But, I’ve also been known to steal McDonald’s fries from the kids, if they are very hot and fresh.
10) FUTURE CHILD'S NAME? I love Clementine and Wellesley for a girl. I like Thoreau or Walden for a boy. I think I better get some pets.
11) FINISH THIS STATEMENT—’IF I HAD A LOT OF MONEY I’D......sign my kids up for more lessons, get going on a PH.d, and travel all over the world
12) DO U DRIVE FAST? Sometimes. If I’m late. Please don't tell Quiet Man.
13) DO U SLEEP WITH A STUFFED ANIMAL? Heavens, no. I need lots and lots of personal space.
14) STORMS–COOL OR SCARY? Get out the butter and flour. I love storms and look forward to baking through them. I also love to get my hair wet in the rain. Boy, did I get in trouble in the fourth grade from Mrs. Cook for doing just that outside the classroom below the rain gutter.
15) WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR? 1988 convertible Renault Alliance, not really mine but my sister and I got to drive it.
16) FAVORITE DRINK? Icy water. Lots and lots of ice.
17) FINISH THIS STATEMENT-IF I HAD THE TIME I WOULD…Take up another instrument. Brush up on my French. Clean out the closets. Paint my toenails.
18) DO YOU EAT THE STEMS ON BROCCOLI? It depends on my level of indolence for the day. I have to peel them first.
19) IF YOU COULD DYE YOUR HAIR ANY OTHER COLOUR, WHAT WOULD BE YOUR CHOICE? I’m a dark brunette. I like it a bit light in the summer and darker in the winter. I wish I didn't have to dye it at all, but between you and me, there's a bit of gray peeking out every so often.
20) NAME ALL THE DIFFERENT CITIES/TOWNS U HAVE LIVED IN? How about states or countries? California, Hawaii, Utah, Israel, Chile, New York.
21) FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? I’d rather play than watch.
22) ONE NICE THING ABOUT THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? Lisa has a great blog with tons of delicious food, and she’s very encouraging and supportive.
23) WHATS UNDER YOUR BED? Wrapping paper and ribbons.
24) WOULD U LIKE TO BE BORN AS YOURSELF AGAIN? Yes, unless I could be my daughter. She lives a charmed life and she's smart enough to realize it. Want to see why? Check out her blog Little Girl on the Go
25) MORNING PERSON OR NIGHT OWL? Both. But I wish I could take a nap.
26) OVER EASY OR SUNNY SIDE UP? With good toasted bread.
27) FAVORITE PLACE TO RELAX? By any water.
28) FAVORITE PIE? Mixed berry, apple streusel, pumpkin-ginger
29) FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? Thin mint Girl Scout cookie, Rocky Road, mint chip, the homemade vanilla above