Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Raspberry Tartlets

Oh, baby. Look who showed up this past weekend, at not quite 36 weeks. Bed rest is officially over for my sister, for at least the next year, and possibly for the next 18. Since beautiful baby A is so tiny still, just like a bitty little baby doll, they're sticking around for another week, just to play it safe. And aren't we glad? We get to hold her, and admire her, and fawn over her, and put her on a majestic pink baby pedestal for a little bit longer. (Actually, just until tomorrow when we jump on an airplane and head to the east coast...typing one handed and throwing things in suitcases... details to come.) Two pregnant sisters down, one more to go. There are few (if any) pleasures in the world that I rank higher than being an Aunt. And did I mention that Baby A got my middle name? Prudence Penelope Pennywise, that's me. Well, that's actually only the name of my penny pinching alter ego; so far no namesakes for my alter ego, can't imagine why. My real middle name starts with an E. Can you guess it? It's also my daughter's middle name, one niece's first name, and now three of my nieces' middle names. And here's a hint: it's not Erminitrude. (That's the name of another of my alter egos, the prim and proper one that wouldn't ever in a million years measure for coffins at girls camp.)
In all the comings and goings of babies and pregnant ladies, and cousins, and just life in general, I've been looking forward to this very easy recipe from the inimitable Dorie Greenspan. It requires almost no forethought or planning, very little prep time, and the results are quite scrumptious. It reminds me, once again, of the importance of always making time for sweet things in life, edible and otherwise....and also to always keep a bit of puff pastry in the freezer.
Money Saving Tips:
It's cheapest to make your own puff pastry, but it's not exactly a time saver. Look for an all butter puff pastry if you can find one; if not buy some Pepperidge Farm in the freezer case. Use whatever fruit you've got on hand; the original recipe called for apples.
Raspberry Tartlets
Estimated Cost: $3.00
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (I defrost in micro, on 50 percent power for about 1 min)
raspberries, fresh or frozen
sugar
butter
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment or waxed paper. Spray lightly with no stick spray. Cut circles from the puff pastry with a drinking glass. Place on prepared pan. Cover the middle with a few raspberries, sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp. sugar and put a pea-sized piece butter on top. Bake for about 20 minutes.
Next Up:
Best Ever Lemon Blueberry Muffins

30 comments:

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

What a beautiful baby! And I'd love to have a tartlet for breakfast.

chocolatechic said...

I love the raspberry idea.

Now...to that beautiful wee baby.

Just perfection!

gigi said...

Oh what a beautiful baby!! and name sake you have there, Prudy girl! Aren't you just the luckiest? Love big families for that very reason. I too have always loved being an Aunt and only have one niece that has my middle name. I'm not even sure she likes it but oh well :) Your Sailor is so beautiful holding her wee little cousin. Just a precious picture.

Yall have fun and be safe on your new adventure!
I love that you used raspberries, yum!

Carolyne said...

Congrats aunty Catte! She's gorgeous! Prudy, I love that picture of Sailor!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those tarts look delicious Prudy! What a sweet baby. She reminds me of my youngest - 4 pounds and so little. Oh how I love babies. How lucky you are!

Have a wonderful time on the East Coast!

XOXO
Jen

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Pretty tartlets and even prettier baby. Have fun on your trip! :)

Jamie said...

Love the raspberries! I am super excited to see the recipe for the lemon bluberry muffins!!!!

Jamie said...

Oh and I forgot to add...your niece is very beautiful!

Melissa said...

My guess for your middle name is Elaine! It was my Grandma's middle name, so it sprung to mind. Your tarts look great, and congrats on the niece, she's adorable!

Jules said...

Beautiful Baby! Beautiful Blog! I found you by way of "FOOD" magazine. Congratulations!

Seth and Julie said...

I think your middle name is Elizabeth although I am related so that may be cheating. I am not positive though because I have lots of girl cousins, thanks mostly to your parents.

Anyhow, congrats. Baby A is beautiful. Her mouth looks like her momma. I usually get an e-mail from your dad when a new baby comes but you broke the news on this one. I am trying to guess what the A stands for.

Katrina said...

Awesome! Love the berries. I'd thought of that, but went another route.
Congrats Auntie and to the mom!

Michal said...

she's gorgeous. glad she's healthy, too. i know your middle name, but i, too, am guessing about baby a's first name.

have a great trip! can't wait to hear where you're headed.

Kerstin said...

Awww, what a cutie, congrats to you and your family!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful baby!

Your tartlets look fantastic! I love raspberries and can't wait until they're in season here.

Maria said...

Such a cute baby!! Love the tartlets too!

Apartments in Manila said...

The baby so beautiful

Allie said...

She's sooo sweet looking! I'm sure your sister is glad to have you all around as well.

I would love one of those rapsberry tartlets right now too!

MK and Co. said...

What a pretty little baby! I love the bow! Have a wonderful vacation and thanks for another great recipe!

MK and Co. said...

what a darling baby do you know what the baby's name?oh and I love those tartles they look good I should tell my mom to make it!
love annaliese

Pamela said...

Yeah!! Congrats to your sister and your entire family on the newest addition! She's beautiful. Gorgeous raspberry tarts, too!

The Blonde Duck said...

Prudy, you must be the most fabulous mother to have. Tartlets and adventures to the East and a fabulous new niece to snuggle.

I'll send you my adoption papers. Thanks.

Venessa said...

What a beautiful baby!!! Congratulations! Have a fun and safe trip.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

She is beautiful! What is in the water your sisters are drinking? LOL Your family seems to be expanding all at once...what a blessing!

East Coast huh? sounds like Food Network Challenge time...my fingers are crossed!

Boracay beach resort said...

Very yummy can i have one?

Melbourne jobs said...

very yummy...

Anonymous said...

Wow, girls camp and this darling little bundle all in one week? Sounds like heaven to me. :)

Marie Rayner said...

Love your little raspberry tartlettes Erin, and that baby is beautiful!!!

Display homes said...

Congratulations to your new baby.. so cute..

Janet said...

Darling baby, for sure.

Now...back to the tartlets. I'm not familiar enough with puff pastry sheets...

How many tartlets can I make from one? I suppose you'll say it depends on the size of the glass, but let's say the usual 8-ounce type.

Thanks!