Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Summer Vegetable Gratin Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust

This summer, my friend Tanji sent me a recipe for a zucchini and squash gratin. I made it two nights in a row, sopping up all the garlicky juices with a multi grain baguette. It was fast, healthful, delicious and seemingly perfect in my book. Except for one thing. Nobody else in my family thought it qualified as dinner. "Is this it-what else are we having?" Now, for me the trick for converting a side dish into a main dish is just to eat more. But it's not that simple when you're dealing with strangers like your own husband and children. Still, my obsession with the squash gratin wasn't gong to die easy, so I compromised by putting the gratin on top of a whole wheat pizza crust. Same idea, basically same ingredients, only this time, it was deemed dinner by that tough crowd who matter most. Dinner accomplished.
Money Saving Tips:
Make your own crust to save money, or go ahead and purchase one if time is a greater issue. If you have your own garden, I'll bet you've still got loads of zukes and squash. If not hit up a neighbor or head to the farmer's market.
Summer Vegetable Gratin Pizza on Whole Wheat Crust
Estimated Cost: $$5.50
YIkes-I didn't meant to write $1.50 earlier. It's only $1.50 for the crust.
Notes: I don't proof the yeast since SAF is so reliable. If your yeast is iffy, combine it with some warm water and sugar in a small bowl and make sure it rises before adding it in.
3 teaspoons yeast (I use Saf)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 and 1/2 cups all purpose flour
cornmeal for the pan
1/3 cup pizza sauce or plain tomato sauce
1 and 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 small zucchini, thinly sliced
1 small yellow squash, thinly sliced
1 red tomato, thinly sliced
1 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
Combine yeast, sugar, olive oil, salt, warm water, and whole wheat flour. Stir and knead in flour. Knead for 4 minutes. Cover and let rise for one hour. Punch it down and let it rest for five minutes. Lightly grease a baking sheet and coat with a bit of cornmeal. Roll out dough into 12 inch circle or press into rectangular cookie sheet. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spread crust with pizza sauce. (Don't use much or you'll have a soggy pizza.) Sprinkle with mozzarella. Layer zucchini, squash and tomatoes in circles on pizza. Drizzle with olive oil, garlic, basil, and parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheeses are melted. If necessary, if the vegetables become too watery, heat the broiler and watching carefully, bake until the juices dry up a bit.
Coming Tomorrow:
Lemon Sour Cream Pasta and Peas
Stay Tuned for a Sneaky Give Away

42 comments:

Marjie said...

I like making my own pizza crust, and the boys like fixing up their own pizzas. And in my house, I'm afraid "no meat" means "Where's the main course?" We surely do love the zucs in breads and on our plates, though! And this is a beautiful looking pizza; I was interested to see how you deal with the excess liquid on top of the pizza.

Cathy said...

If I moved in to your house, Prudy, (which I really want to do sometimes after reading your menus) I PROMISE that I would consider squash gratin a complete dinner (I think the addition of crusty bread turns anything a complete dinner). But this pizza looks truly wonderful, and I must have it. I am going to try SAF yeast -- I have not had consistent good luck with "the other kind." I assumed it was just me, but I would be thrilled beyond words if I could blame the yeast!

Leslie said...

It looks delicious, Prudy. And you know how I feel about vegetables.
I'm so glad you've kept up with Tangi.
I liked your story about her a few posts ago, too.

Marie Rayner said...

Yummo Yummo Yummo! Your crust sounds fabulous and the look of that pizza has all my tastebuds tingling!!!

Unknown said...

Oh yummy!! I made a pizza crust for the very first time last night with my bread machine. it turned out pretty good, and the toppings were yummy as well, if my hubby were a veggie lover I'd totally make this... maybe one night I can make it for just me and the girls :)

Kirsten said...

That pizza looks so good and healthy at the same time. Big win!

Mary Ann said...

Yum- this looks wondeful. Very smart way to turn it into a main dish! I am going to have to try this, I know it will be amazing!

Natalie Que said...

Okay, SERIOUSLY? Tell me you scheduled this post and didn't get up THIS early!! Early Riser alert!

This looks great, I remember the Gratin, great way to change it up into a main. I love pizza, and can't get enough of any variety!

Rosie said...

It looks delicious Prudy!! Nothing to beat homemade pizza :)

Rosie x

Maria said...

Perfect timing on this post. I have zucchini and squash that I need to use ASAP!! I am going to try this pizza!! Looks great!!
And I love having sides for main meals! I don't eat meat so I usually combine some sides of veggies etc. to make a meal out of things. It works out great!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Good! Pizza gone healthy!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

OH! This looks really good! Zucchini and yellow squash are on sale this week we just might try this yummy looking recipe!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That looks yummy Prudy! Perfect for a fall dinner. Thanks!

Catherine said...

This looks delicious and so healthy too! What a smart way to trick your family into believing vegetable gratin is dinner.

gigi said...

This is another one that I will try. I so love veggies any way any how! I had to fix the roasted broccili again last night. I'm really lovin that nutty flavor.

Aggie said...

Oh Prudy, this is comfort food to me. Look at those vegetables, they are beautiful on that pizza. I am determined to try this crust. I'm going to get over this fear of yeast that I have.

vanillasugarblog said...

I love the texture of whole wheat pizza crust.
You make such healthy dinners that look fabulous as well.
Nice.

The Blonde Duck said...

Brilliant. I'll come to your house for dinner anytime. I won't whine, complain and I'll entertain you with all the weird stories floating in my head.

Anonymous said...

oh, this looks so good! if I make a healthy dinner like this, I can justify yesterday's cookies, too. :D

Katie and Mark said...

Hey! I think I might be able to do this one with out messing it up! : ) I will have to buy my own pizza dough, but I have almost all the other ingredients! I will let you know if I try it out! Thanks-

Pam said...

This looks fantastic! Not only healthy but beautiful too.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love courgettes, I adore squash - Im gonna love this. Yum!! When are you on your travels?? Weather is perking up!!!

Deborah said...

That is just gorgeous!! And I'm with you - I could totally eat the squash gratin for dinner, but my husband would probably want the pizza!

La Bella Cooks said...

I really enjoy making my own pizza crust. There is something therapeutic about working with the dough, I think. All of your veggies look delicious!

WildBufalo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CECIL said...

Ooppss so sorry!! I posted a comment just a second ago and right I clicked publish that I saw that my husband is still logged in. But anywayy..aside my love for bacon and such..I have always loved my pizza with only vegetable! And this just look sooo yum!

Katie said...

Yum! I like my pizza with lots of veggies and a wholesome crust.

Katie and Mark said...

Okay-I am SO behind! I just made the Tangy Peach BBQ Chicken! YUMMY! My whole family LOVED it, and it made my WHOLE house smell delicious. And to top it off-it was as easy as you promised! You are my hero. It is pretty tough to make something that tastes THAT good with four little children under foot! Thanks again...

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

How awesome! A healthy pizza!

Amy said...

Love the colors!! Beautiful! My honey and I would love this...the kids..umm..not so much! LOL!!

Bless you!

Amy

Emily said...

It must be said . . squash rocks! i used it for dinner tonight too . . but I am going to make your gratin tomorrow!

I love your dough recipes . . I always know that "Miss Prudy" (aka Pollyanna)will have something great to make!

Noor said...

Wow $1.50 for that? My dh and I love to go to Whole Foods and get some of the Balsamic Chicken pizza yumm, I need to learn how to make that. This reminded me of it..

How do you plan your meals bc I see you always know what your cooking, your so organized lol.

grace said...

it's recipes like this that make me super sad that summer is leaving us. awesome crust, by the way. scratch pizza crust is always superior to that junk from a mix. :)

Anonymous said...

I've actually been wanting a whole wheat pizza crust recipe, so this is timely.

Do you think I could make the dough then freeze it?

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

We love homeade pizza but my meat eating family would not qualify this for dinner either. I would love it. Your pizza is picture perfect.

Prudy said...

Yikes, Noor, I didn't mean to write $1.50 for that. I was originally going to break down the separate cost for crust, sauce, etc. and the $1.50 is for the crust only. Sorry about that and thanks for catching it.
I'm really not as organized as I appear. I just happen to have a couple weeks of surplus recipes, so I decide what to post by whatever strikes my fancy.

Darius T. Williams said...

Hmmm - this looks great! I'm going to have to try this.

We have a place here in Chicago that does something similar to this. It's called a white pizza at Bar Louie's.

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Deb in Hawaii said...

This lloks so good--a perfect end of summer dish!

Shelby said...

Oh this is right up my alley! I can hear Grumpy saying the same exact thing about that being "it". If he has no meat, then it's apparently not a meal!

Chef Jeena said...

WOW!!! I love this so much! I could see this pizza sitting on my kitchen table for sure. I love the presentation it is beautiful. Wholewheat is great for a pizza crust too, your recipes are so delicious Prduy. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this! Tis so good and healthy for pizza!

yanmaneee said...

curry shoes
kyrie 6 shoes
stone island
nike dunks
yeezy boost 350 v2
yeezy 350
lebron 17 shoes
cheap jordans
golden goose
golden goose outlet