Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lemon Sour Cream Pasta with Peas

For lemon lovers like myself, the news that lemon prices have nearly doubled comes as no surprise. I've felt the pocket book-pinch each time I've bought the juicy yellow babies at the market. No matter the price, I will always buy my lemons. Always. There is no substitute for bright, fresh lemon juice. But with the hefty cost, I will use my lemons wisely. To get the very most out of your pricey purchase, follow these tips:
-Never throw away your lemon zest. (Zest is the colorful outside coating on citrus fruits-not the bitter white pith beneath.) Using a vegetable peeler, remove all of the zest from your lemons. Chop it finely and freeze it in plastic bags.
-Juice your lemons using a reamer or juicer to get the most from each lemon.
-Reduce the juice in recipes by half, and add lemon zest to get that bright lemon flavor.
-For baking, rub lemon zest with granulated sugar to bring out a more pronounced lemony flavor.

This is one of my absolute favorite lemon pasta dishes. It makes a fantastic side with a bit of grilled or stewed meat, or a refreshing and light main dish. I make it all year long, but I love it most when the tomatoes are ripe and juicy. The best bites have a bit of sweet tomato and a long swirl of lemony, creamy pasta. You'll only need one pot and about 20 minutes, so get squeezing and zesting. And pray for a good safe lemon bumper crop this year.
Money Saving Tips: This pasta dish makes excellent use of your pricey lemon, by including both the zest and the juice. If you don't have green onions on hand, use chopped yellow onions but saute them a bit before you add the garlic.
Lemon Sour Cream Pasta
Estimated Cost: $4.00
1/2 lb. flat pasta noodles, such as fettuccine
1 cup frozen peas, if desired
1 tablespoon butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup sour cream, (light works well), or whole milk plain yogurt
juice and zest of one lemon
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
freshly grated parmesan cheese, for the top
sliced juicy red tomatoes
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding peas during last minute of cooking time. Drain pasta in colander. To the same pot, add butter and garlic and cook over low heat for one minute, or until garlic is very fragrant and softened. Add pasta and peas back to pot. Stir in sour cream, lemon juice and zest, green onions, and salt and pepper. Warm through. Serve with sliced tomatoes. Coming Tomorrow:
Sesame Scallion Grilled Tri Tip

37 comments:

Mary Ann said...

This pasta dish looks absolutely fab. I agree with you about the lemons, there really is nothing better than fresh lemon juice and zest! I can't give them up either.

Catherine said...

Oh Prudy, I love Love LOVE when you do quick vegetarian dinners! This looks so deliciuos. And I think all my little carnivores (and the big one too) would be very happy to have this for dinner. And thankyou for all the tips on how to get the most out of my lemons. I thought I was getting the most out of them, but I was wrong!

Peter M said...

I lamented about the prices of lemon earlier this too and thankfully I've seen them come down in price this fall.

I love some zest in pasta...gives the meal a 'jump".

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I love lemon pasta! And I love all my neighbours have lemon trees! And I specially love your twisted fork!

Jenny said...

Looks terrific! I have been eating so much pasta lately I don't know what my deal is! Can't wait to add yours to my list of pastas! Have a great Sunday!

The Blonde Duck said...

You always amaze me. Looks tasty!

NKP said...

I love lemons. The rest of the world can have their chocolate - just give me the lemons.
And, of course, pasta=love.

I have seen lemons as high as $1 each this year. What is the lemony world coming to?

Great dindins, I love it.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Another great recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Anna M. said...

Looks delicious Prudy! Thanks for the lemon tips, too...we are huge lemon (and lime) lovers at my house...I always have a few in the fridge! Thanks again! =)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I overdosed The Husband on lemons a few years ago and he almost refuses to eat any main dish with lemon in it. Seriously. I can put a teaspoon of lemon juice in something and he puts his fork down, gags and says, "uh. too much lemon!"
I will definitely have to make this the next time he travels away from home.
~Cat

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I love the sound of this pasta!! Am bookmarking for future use!!!

Patsyk said...

I'm a big fan of lemons, too! I love the fresh flavor it adds to everything. Nothing can beat it.

This dish sounds delicious! Can't beat the price, either!

Emily said...

Wow Prudy! This sounds so light and just Yum-E! I will have to try it. I made a pasta dish with lemon zest before and it wasn't our fave, but this one sounds oodles better!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Prudy this looks so wonderful! I absolutely love lemon pasta dishes but have never tried one with sour cream and peas, what a neat combo! I can't believe I missed your giveaway, that should teach me to not visit your site every day :) And you know, I had no idea Dorie had a pancake book out there (and a Waffle one, which I just snagged on ebay) until I saw it on your site! Pancakes and waffles are our favorite breakfasts around here, we do them a few times a week. Have a wonderful evening!

Chef Jeena said...

Give me a plate of this tasty stuff anytime!!! Looks so healthy and delicious, I love the ingredients and I too would have that slice of tomato on my plate with it. :-D

You are so right about lemon zest!

Laura said...

I try to feed the family vegetarian meals at least a couple times a week - thanks for another great recipe. We will try it this week.

Well, I'm passing along another award to you Prudy, but I see you've already got this one (see my blog). No matter, you deserve all the accolades you can get! I just adore your blog!

Emily said...

Mmm pasta.

You're right! Lemons are so expensive! I wish I had a lemon tree. Do you know how much they cost here? Like, maybe 80 cents to a dollar a piece. Bah!

Ali said...

This looks fabulous! Another recipe to add to my long list!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

The zest sounds so good with the pasta. I have been substituting limes for certain things like drinks because lemon prices are so high.

Sophie said...

I know this would taste fantastic. Peas are so sweet and have such a fun pop when you bite into 'em. And the pasta sauce sounds so fresh too! All in all, a great marriage of flavors.

Anonymous said...

I love zest and sour meets creamy!!! Talk about getting the most out of lemons. There isn't anything one can't do with Pasta especially your Prudy = ) I have you in my RSS Feeds... you have inspired me to cook today.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

It looks wonderful! I love anything made with lemons -- my favorite. Yummmm. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Anonymous said...

Great idea to save money! I always have lemons and limes on hand.

Esi said...

Thanks for the tips on how to save lemons. I am buying them all the time.

CECIL said...

This dish just looks so homey and insanely delicious! I suddenly feel hungry! :)

Aggie said...

Great lemon tips Prudy! And what a great pasta dish, lemon makes everything taste so fresh doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hi how are you? I like your blog and would like to become friends are you up to it?
Come and visit my site sometime, and please comment. If you do, I will do the same thanks,
and take care.
Jesse

Unknown said...

Thank you for the lemon tips, I don't buy them very often, I don't really use them but I do love lemon!

sewtakeahike said...

Hi Prudy, thank-you so much for posting these recipes! I have tried some of them and the ones I have tried have just been fabulous! I have told SO many people about your site and every report back to me has been overwhelmingly positive. I cannot wait to try this pasta dish too, it really looks like a winner!

grace said...

how interesting! i don't believe i've ever had peas in my pasta, but i certainly wouldn't push it away. i'm loving the sauce too--very nice. :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am such a lemon lover and this looks delicious. I need to use up more Oyster mushrooms--so was going to make pasta with them. I wonder if lemon will work with them...

Michal said...

wow, does that look good. i've still got tomatoes on the vine out in the garden, so i will definitely try this recipe out.
i wish for a lemon tree, don't you?

Natalie Que said...

Yum, this sounds simple and comforting! I love peas in pasta.

Good tips for the lemons too! I always save my lemons if I've only juiced them and not zested them. I just put them in a plastic bag, though most people would think I'm crazy for it! Occasionally I get desperate and use the zest instead of juice when I only have a 'used' lemon on hand. I think your tips are easier though!

Leslie said...

I love everything about this pasta!
I might just have to make some for din din! I have 4 lemons that need some attention!

Rebekah Daphne said...

I just made this for dinner, with sauteed mushrooms and yellow onion instead of the peas and green onion. The sauce was PERFECT. I will absolutely be making this again!

Eric said...

I love the sound of this pasta!! Am bookmarking for future use!!!

Joy Weddell said...

It looks wonderful! I love anything made with lemons -- my favorite. Yummmm. Thanks for another wonderful recipe!