Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Late Summer Roasted Red and Yellow Pepper Soup

I pledge my everlasting affection and devotion to this roasted pepper soup.I don't mean to start this post with gushing, but this stellar soup has that effective on me. If it was served at a restaurant, I would never order anything else there, and I'd gush to the waiter and embarrass myself. There's nothing unusual or exotic in this soup: it's just peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, and garlic.... But once you roast those peppers, all of the humble ingredients are elevated by a smoky sweetness, heightened by a speck of honey, and made rich with a wee bit of cream. It's a definite MUST MAKE before the season slips away. Peppers are at their best in late summer, so seize the day-make this soup on a sunny breezy evening before you head out for a pleasant bike ride or walk around the neighborhood. I'm making it again tonight, and this time I'm going for a double batch so I can gush over leftovers tomorrow.
Money Saving Tips:
Make this only when the bell peppers are on sale for $1 or less. You can make it with canned roasted peppers in a pinch. If you don't have fresh basil, add some dried with the honey, or try swirling some bottled pesto in with the finished soup. If you don't want to add cream, fat free evaporated milk is a great stand-in.

Roasted Red and Yellow Pepper Soup
Estimated Cost: $6.00

3 whole bell peppers
1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian style diced tomatoes, undrained
1 teaspoon honey
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/4 to 1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half
fresh basil, if desired

Roast bell peppers until blackened in most places. (I usually do it over a gas flame, but you can also do it in the oven at 450 degrees.) Place peppers in a ziptop bag for ten minutes. Remove from bag, remove stem and seeds and peel peppers, scraping with a knife. Chop coarsely. Heat olive oil and butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add peppers, onion, garlic, and carrot. Saute until vegetables are softened, about five minutes. Add tomatoes with juices, honey and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all vegetables are softened. Blend soup in blender, food processor, or with immersion blender, until not almost smooth, but with some chunky texture. Add cream and heat until just below a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with fresh basil, sour cream and croutons if desired.
Coming Tomorrow:
Grown Up Mac and Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Bacon

44 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love soup and peppers and this looks incredible! I can almost taste it looking at those great pictures.

gigi said...

I bet southern man would really love this recipe. Maybe I sould make another trip to Wall-mart for these ingredients and hope no one notices another box of PB Whoopers in my cart :)

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Yum! This I will have to try when it gets a little cooler!

Veronica said...

I do love roasted red pepper soup! It's ok to gush, because this one sounds good!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You have every right to gush. I know what I'll be doing this weekend, making this soup. How can you go wrong with roasted peppers.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I would love this. Got to try it! Writing down the recipe as we speak!

Kirsten said...

Soup is one of my biggest comfort foods and the roasted peppers make it sound over the top. Will definitely be trying soon!

Mary Ann said...

Okay- you sold me! I am making this next week. I have been looking for a great roasted pepper soup and this may be the one! Thanks, Prudy, for pronouncing your love for this yummy concoction, you won me over with your first sentence!

Emily said...

This soup sounds divine! Roasted peppers take things over the top! It sounds perfect for the cold weather waiting around the corner!

CECIL said...

Looks so delicious!! And oohm..mmhh..with bacon! Yumm!

Anonymous said...

This looks heavenly!

Chef Jeena said...

Fabulous soup I love the fact that you roast the veggies first, I could just dip some fresh crispy white bread into this YUM.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Erin,

This looks really good. Have to get some peppers at the farm stand today.

Mary

Maria said...

After reading your post, I am ready for soup season! It looks amazing! I am going to look for peppers at the market this weekend.

And yes, you need to go to Hell's Backbone! It is a great restaurant!

Anonymous said...

This soup looks so good. I really can't wait to try it. I love roasted peppers.

Jenny said...

Looks fantastic! I don't wait for winter to make soup around here, it's too good to not eat soup all year round!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh dear. I make the same pledge! Looks so yummy. I would love this with a nice grilled cheese sandwich on a cold day.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks fabulous! I love creamy vegetable soups. I am going to the farm market and buying up all their leftover peppers to make some!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good I'm going to throw out your $1 or less advice and just splurge!

Cathy said...

I'm all over this one, Prudy! It sounds wonderful and LOOKS gorgeous!! It is nice to see a colorful, vegetable-filled dish on the menu as I repent from all of those Tuesday baked goods. I'm a gusher myself, so your gushing just seems like normal talking to me.

Amy said...

I love soup and I can't wait to try this! The cookies you posted yesterday look fabulous!!

Michelle A'etonu said...

i love your blog! it's so much fun, especially with the music!!! thanks for welcoming me to TWD!

Esi said...

Looks good enough for me to change my mind about red peppers! I can't wait to see your mac and cheese. Caramelized onions?! mmm

Peter M said...

"Tis pepper season and me must rejoice. I'm holding off on soups but this will be on my list when I have to bundle up.

NKP said...

I love roasted red peppers. I am still working on a giant box hubby brought home - I have about a half dozen left in the fridge, this would be perfect for them.

MK and Co. said...

It's pouring rain right now where I live and so this soup looks especially delicious. I think I would still want this one even if it was blazing outside. I can't wait to make it!

Anonymous said...

Holy gaga! If I had peppers at home, I'd be making this for dinner. Actually, I might stop by the grocery and grab some.
~The Cat's Pajamas

Marjie said...

I'm allergic to peppers, but this is very pretty. I hate winter, but I certainly do love soup weather! (And, since I'm scheduled for more dental work in about 2 weeks, soup weather is on the way!)

Sara said...

Your soup looks amazing. I'm so excited for the fall soup season. You are giving me plenty of yummy soups to try. Thanks!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Prudy, this soup looks amazing! I've never had roasted pepper soup but have wanted to try making it since it sounds like something I'd love. The tip about using evaporated milk is great, never heard of doing that before, I will try it for sure :)

La Bella Cooks said...

I am going to have to try this. I love all of the flavors included here and the color alone is inviting.

Pamela said...

Sounds incredibly amazing! I'm definitely going to give this one a try.

Sophie said...

This sounds amazing. I like how you described it! Another recipe to add to my "soups to make during winter" list :). I like your little bowls too :). Hey, congrats on that award posted at the top right side of your blog :)! You deserve it.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never heard of pepper soup. It looks great! And how could you embarrass yourself? What good is food if we don't gush over it?

Shandy said...

You are always such an inspiration! The Roasted Pepper Soup sounds And looks delicious.

You know, I really loved how your cookies turned out and thank you for telling me about the flour. I love finally having someone to talk to and ask a question from time-to-time about cooking and baking obstacles =D

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Mmmm, that looks delicious! I made soup last night, but yours puts it to shame! I will have to make that -- and soon! Thanks for another great recipe!

Jacque said...

OK, I'm sold! Anything with that kind of praise must be tried!

Mmmm, looks delish, thanks for sharing :)

Amy said...

Beautiful!!! O my goodness!!

Marie Rayner said...

Oh gosh, that looks soooooooo good Erin! I have never had roasted pepper soup. I shall have to rectify that!!

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow looks awesome. gr8 color too.

grace said...

if any soup is worthy of your gushing and devotion, it's this one. roasted peppers don't do nice things to my digestive tract (sorry--was that an overshare?) but i continue to eat them, and i'd devour this soup. :)

Kana said...

I have a few peppers that I harvested from my pepper plant. I know what to make now!

Natalie Que said...

I think I see why you would pledge your devotion to this soup, it looks and sounds *SO* good! I better add this one to the list...

Thinking About Food said...

this looks and sounds really good....going to bookmark it and wait til Autumn for peppers to be plentiful! I adore soup and this sounds right up my alley!