Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ina Garten's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread


Something tells me that this is not the cornbread that the pioneers ate on the trail west. No, little doggies, this is not Aunt Bea's johnny cake. This is the Bareefoot Contessa, Ina Garten's Cornbread. I'm baking along with my buddies at Barefoot Bloggers, so join in and make some too. I promise, you'd be willing to ride pregnant on a bumpy trail in a covered wagon for cornbread this good. It's fabulously tender and buttery with a kick from jalapenos, sharp cheddar and scallions.
I halved the recipe, and I confess now that I had to cut out some of the butter and cheese. I had to, I really had to. The local cows are going on strike, overworked from the amount of butter that I've demanded in the last month. I don't want to take out my super-sized Christmas jeans now, do I? I like to wait until December before I surrender to that extent.
I also made a couple of sugar-sprinkled little corncakes sans jalapenos, cheese and green onions. Little green things always make kids nervous. Whenever they point and ask "What's that?"- you can be sure they are referring to a little green thing. And they can spot every single microscopic one.
Make it however you like it. Just make it. Especially since it would go wonderfully well with my Garden Harvest Minestrone that's coming tomorrow. So make some cornbread and come on back now, y'all hear?
A little lighter Jalepeno Cheddar Cornbread
Estimated Cost: $2.00
Notes: I baked in a smaller baking dish so that I'd have enough to make two extra 1 cup capacity ramekins for my two little charges.
1 and 1/2 cups flour (I used half whole wheat)
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk or milk
1 egg plus 1 egg white
5 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 cup chopped scallions, plus a few more for top
1-3tablespoon minced jalapenos (forgive me-I used canned)
Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8 inch baking dish. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add dry ingredients and stir a couple of times to combine without over mixing. Mix in half the cheese plus some scallions and jalapenos. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle with remaining cheese and extra scallions. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Coming Tomorrow:
Garden Harvest Minestrone-thanks to my generous cowboy neighbor

37 comments:

Pamela said...

That corn bread looks so yummy! LOL about the super-sized Christmas jeans!

Aggie said...

Great looking cornbread! I'm with you on the butter and cheese...I usually cringe when working with so much, but this time since I planned to give it away (although it didn't happen) I tried not to let it bother me!

Did your kiddies enjoy their personal breads?? =)

Anonymous said...

I love how you made the two smaller ones for your kids. Great idea. Love your site and can't wait to try your Tri Tip Steak recipe - yum!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

You're making me wish it was fall. Nothing says comfort better than a warm bowl of homeade soup and fresh corn bread.

Anonymous said...

This cornbread looks delicious! I love that you left out the greens for the little kids. It like they have a sixth sense for finding specks of green in their food. If only all the delicous greens were red! I can't wait for tommorow's minestrone!

Esi said...

Nice job with the cornbread. I was going to halve the recipe too, but then my friends insisted they would eat it!

Anonymous said...

Hmm... what happened to my comment? Your cornbread looks great and I LOVE your site! I'll have to comb through the archives for some yummy things to make. Thank you for the birthday wishes, I must have hit post instead of save this morning, I finished editing it now.

Meryl said...

Yum, that will be good with the Minestrone!

Anne said...

Great job on the cornbread! I'm with you- it's insane how much butter I've been going through! :)

Can't wait to see the soup-

Melissa said...

I left in the butter but used nonfat milk and lowfat cheese. Looks great!

Mary Ann said...

Looks so yummy, especially the plain little ones! Oh and the Minestrone looks divine! quit teasing!

Unknown said...

Yum - I might have to make some green-free ones just to put some honey butter on top.

Kathy said...

Your cornbread looks wonderful. I should of used half the butter and cheese considering how much of it I ate myself.

Sharon said...

I suppose I'm a little kid b/c I'd love to try one of the "green free" corncakes! :) I'm scared of jalapenos.

Sara said...

This cornbread looks great! I love cornbread...I will have to try this out.

Kimi said...

I love the idea for the little ramekins! Would be great for an "adult" party, hmmm, thinking, chili, cornbread, snowy day.....

NKP said...

Great cornbread! I like how you tailored the recipe for the differing taste buds in your family. Your soup and your cowboy neighbour sound interesting too, you have the neatest neighbours.

The Blonde Duck said...

That looks delicious! That's true Texan cornbread--and I should know!

As one of Marie's good buddies, would you mind bringing your wisdom over to my blog? I'm having my readers give me advice about the story and I'd love your practical words!

Wonderful blog, by the way! As a fellow frugal cook, I strive to save money!

Anonymous said...

I had to cut some butter, too. My word - it's not dessert! I should have made separate ramekins for my little charges. They avoid green specks as well...

Beth (jamandcream) said...

The texture looks great, moist and light. I will definitely be taking the time to convert this recipe to old fashioned English pounds and ounzes

bethanyjg said...

Looks great - I agree the butter and cheese can be cut down. You are so right about children and the "little green things!"

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I really like the texture of that bread. They look specially cool on the little ramequins!

Summertime said...

Your cornbread looks great! Next time I make it I am definitely going to reduce the recipe. Holy cow that's a lot of cornbread :) I love all your pics.

Veronica said...

Looks great, Prudy!

MK and Co. said...

Your Cornbread looks so delicious. I am going to have to make that tonight. I think I have everything I need. Well I'm sold. I m off to the kitchen. Thanks for the great recipe!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love soup and your minestrone looks awesome--can't wait to see the recipe tomorrow! Great idea on the little breads too! I wanted to cut the butter down but wasn't sure what would happen.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, can't wait to try that minestrone with this cornbread. YUM.

Shandy said...

You aer so funny! I just love reading your blog. I have a daughter that does the same thing with anything she may not like. Sometimes it makes my eye twitch =D. Your cornbread looks delicious and I just loved it too. Your idea of halving the recipe but not the sugar sounds yummy. I'll have to try that next time since this recipe makes so much. . .BUT I am not complaining =).

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I would love some of that corn bread! And you probably make great chili.

I have an award for you on my blog.

Steph said...

Although I've never tried cornbread, it sounds delicious. I've never made Ina's recipes, mostly because I'm a little afraid of all the butter she uses! They're nice to see on TV though.

Marie Rayner said...

Fantastic looking cornbread!!! I have all Ina's books and really need to get cooking from out of them more! I also need to go on a diet. Not sure if the two desires mesh very well though!

La Bella Cooks said...

I love your site...it is wonderful! I thought this cornbread was fantastic but my fingers are still burning from chopping those jalapenos. I must have fallen asleep in class when they said - wear gloves when handling jalapenos!

Heather B said...

they both look great! I especially love the sugar topped version! Yum!

Honeyed Hashette said...

Ooo a lighter version sounds good. :)
I am so bummed I missed out on this round of BB. We were moving and I just didn't have time.
Yours looks great!

Christiana said...

I just made this cornbread this past Saturday, and it was the best cornbread I've ever put in my mouth!! Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

imp sourcevisit the website Get More Infomy review here check my blognavigate to this site

nedeighsh said...

cet article Dolabuy Hermes voir ici ce formulaire de contact essayez ceci Dolabuy Goyard