Thursday, July 17, 2008

Chocolate Glazed Oatmeal Peanut Bars

The fabulous Jeena is hosting a food and memories blogging event. I'm throwing in my trip down memory lane and corresponding recipe. Follow this link and add yours too.My sister Heidi is a healthful eater, that thinks nothing of passing up mayonnaise on her sandwich, and switching pretzels for potato chips, or ordering the side salad instead of the french fries. Except when she is pregnant. (I love it when she's pregnant.) When she is pregnant, she has a powerful hankerin' for sweets and treats. Five years ago we were both pregnant with little boys and we sunk into a delightfully destructive habit of making cupcakes, cookies, brownies, pies, and cobblers. Our ultimate favorite were these chocolate glazed oatmeal bars, given to me by my sister in law. The bottom layer is a peanut butter oatmeal cookie, topped with warm melted peanut butter, a silky layer of chocolate glaze and a quick sprinkle of oatmeal. I don't make them quite as often anymore, since I'm never quite as willing to give into my sugar cravings when I'm only eating for one. But, when I do make these cookies, I think of that fun food time with my sister Heidi in New York, two pregnant girls, making their husbands crazy and eating themselves silly. (Incidentally, it wasn't nearly as fun in the spring and we had to do weight watchers.) But even now, not at all pregnant, I still love these scrumptious bars. Especially since they remind me of my sister, the inimitable Heidi. The next time I see her, I'm making her a giant batch. (And it's not because she's pregnant.) I'll tell you why tomorrow, but it has to do with a big favor she is doing for me right now.
Chocolate Glazed Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bars

Estimated Cost: $4.00

Notes: My kids beg for these but they're perfect for adults, too.

1/2 cup butter

1/3 cup peanut butter, plus more for spreading on top

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup flour

2 cups oatmeal-old fashioned or quick cooking

Chocolate Frosting:

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine butter and peanut butter. Add sugars and mix well. Stir in vanilla, eggs, and milk. Stir in salt and soda, then add flour and oatmeal. Press mixture into greased 9 by 13 and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and browned. Spread hot bars with peanut butter-I usually use about 1/3 to 1/2 cup. Let sit for a few minutes while you make the frosting. In a small saucepan, combine butter and milk and heat on low heat until butter is melted. Stir in cocoa powder and powdered sugar. Pour over warm peanut butter and spread gently. Sprinkle with extra oats, if desired. Cut into bars and serve.


Coming Tomorrow:

Cucumber Towers

33 comments:

Leslie said...

PRUDY,
I know this recipe and love it.
You made it and we devoured it.
It was delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful time on your trip and can't wait to talk to you as soon as you get back. Don't forget to call Prudy, so we can laugh at everything.
Again, I love this recipe, and will end up making it tomorrow.

Leslie said...

Also,
I love your song. Holly and I just heard it come on and we both looked up and smiled. It always makes me happy when I hear it.
It's your song, Prudy.
It will always remind me of you.

JJ said...

This and the chocolate pudding ice cream...I am in heaven!

Marie Rayner said...

Those look so yummy Erin! Lucky sister in law!! I wish I could claim I was pregnant and just craving sweets, instead I'm just fat and have no self control! haha

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! These look so good!

The Blonde Duck said...

Prudy,

Thanks for your support! I'm so thrilled people like my idea. You have no idea what it's like to have all these stories swirling in your head (well maybe you do with delicious recipes) and no one that wants to hear them!

I love the peanut butter chocolate bars. Do you think you could substitute white chocolate or something else for chocolate? I'm allergic to it but my husband loves it...I may just have to scrape off the top. They look too good to ignore!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

They look wonderful! Aren't these healthy? They have oats in them :)

gigi said...

Any time you put together peanut butter,oatmeal and chocolate I'm all in! This one sounds like a good one to make for my S/S class. I teach the 12-18 yr. olds. I take them a treat every Sunday except 1st. Sunday. I know you aren't supose to do that with the younger ones but it doesn't say a thing about it in the adult hand book. Ha!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

These look and sound so yummy! This and your yourgurt are being added to my arsenal!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

I'm with Lisa Oats= healthy! It must have been great to be preagnent at the same time as your sister!

Sara said...

I must try these. They will be a hit at my house!

Heather B said...

chocolate, peanut butter, and oatmeal? Yum! It looks like a delicious combo!

webbie said...

Oh, my! My favorite things! Peanut butter, chocolate, and (to a lesser extent) oatmeal! To quote Rachel Ray...Yummo!

Leah said...

I love the story of the pregnant girls getting together to bake naughty treats. What a fun memory...of course the bars look delicious! I'd whip some right up if I didn't have to go sit at the pool in a swimsuit all afternoon today!

Sharon said...

I'm a little like your sister in that I don't mind eating healthy (skipping out on chips, fries, etc.) BUT, I eat healthy just so I can eat sweets! :) I love the flavor combination here - a little sweet & salty.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to have this recipe! I remember when you and Heidi were pregnant with the boys and always talking about the Chocolate Glazed oatmeal Peanut Bars. They look delicious! And I can't wait to try them!

Fantastic Mr. R said...

Guilty, guilty, guilty. It's all true. Being pregnant with a great cook like Prudy was so much fun. I eat like Santa Clause when I am pregnant (and look like him, too!). I probably ate a sheet of these bars in a day--don't think I'm exagerating either. Anyway it is a delicious recipe and I'm so happy to have it. I'll make these soon, not because I'm expecting, but because I love these bars anytime! Thanks for the memories. I loved being pregnant together and raising our two little hooligans together. H

vanillasugarblog said...

Mmmm. Wonderful. A keeper for sure.
My first time at your food site and I just love it.

Anonymous said...

I have GOT to remember to eat before I read your blog.

:drool:

I know what the FHE treat will be next week. Of course, I'll have to make a test batch before then...

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Yum - think I might have to make this one very soon. I have a half opened jar of peanut butter so thats the incentive - not that I need one!

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

Mmmm!Yummy!

MK and Co. said...

Pregnant women aren't the only people can enjoy thses wonderful bars. All though, everything does taste so good when you're expecting. I can't wait to try these. They look delicious. Thanks for the recipe and the wonderful story down memory lane.

La Bella Cooks said...

Food with wonderful memories always taste so much better! These look absolutely delicious.

Chef Jeena said...

Prudy thank you for the great entry. I love peanuts and chocolate and this bar looks so so so tasty and amazing. I love the way you write your posts I always find myself chuckling at your witt. :-D

test it comm said...

Those peanut butter and chocolate bars look really good! Such a great combo.

Cecilia said...

Wow, this sounds like such a decadent dessert! I love how you provided the estimated cost. Since it's so inexpensive, I may have to give these a try!

Tracy said...

Yum! Those oat bars look great. I may venture out to a picnic tomorrow -- that looks like a good recipe to take.

Heather Young Gowdy said...

This recipe looks amazing! It has my 3 favorite things, chocolate, oatmeal and peanut butter... what more can a girl ask for? I will definitely be back to visit, I saw several interesting recipes.

Anne said...

They look delicious Prudy! And I'll have to admit... I was a baking fiend when I was pregnant, lol. At least it wasn't just me!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful how food connects people? I love this story... and those bars, well, I'm going to have to ignore those for now. My waist can't handle it. I can't control myself when it comes to sweets- that's why I always end up (reluctantly) giving it away.
~The Cat's Pajamas

Nickki said...

Oh yum yum yum! I must try this recipe. Looks delicious! :)

JJ said...

Made these last weekend...were a huge hit! Is it bad that I justified eating them for breakfast due to the oats and peanut butter? ;)

Prudy said...

JJ-I eat them for breakfast all the time. When I make them, I eat them till they're gone, and I barely deign to eat a fruit and vegetable until that moment!