Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Buttermilk Blue Cheese and Red Potato Salad AND Tomato and Cucumber Slaw with Lemon Dressing

Scroll down for more recipes and a complete menu for the Fourth of July...

Holy firecracker, batman, it's the second of July already! Time to get a-movin' on that Fourth menu. Today, by the way, is a great day to get your grocery shopping done. You'll miss the crowds and still be able close in on the can't-miss deals.
For today, I've got two scrumptious salads for your cook out. The first is a no-peel red potato salad smothered in a blue cheese dressing, creamy with red potatoes, and crisp with fresh celery and green onions. You'll make a big batch of blue cheese dressing to have extra on hand to dress up greens next week. (In fact, I've got a truly fantastic peach-barbecue chicken cobb salad to use up some of these leftovers-coming this weekend.)
A tangy lemon cole slaw is the perfect compliment to the creamy red potato salad. It's got big flavor from the tomatoes, cucumber and cilantro, but it's also light and refreshing with a good deal of crunch. Both salads are delicious on their own, but even better together. In fact, they're best with the sweet brown sugar and bacon baked beans (scroll down for recipe) and that tangy peach barbecue chicken-but you'll have to come back tomorrow for that one. See you then!
Buttermilk and Blue Cheese Red Potato Salad
Estimated Cost: $6.50
Notes: This makes a big batch of blue cheese dressing, so plan on having leftovers. Make it a day ahead.
3/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup mayonnaise or whole milk yogurt
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
1 fat clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider or red wine vinegar
3 ounces crumbled blue cheese
3 lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
2 large stalks celery, minced
1/2 bunch green onions, minced
2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley

In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise,salt, pepper, garlic, lemon juice, mustard, and vinegar. Stir in blue cheese. Place in refrigerator to thicken. Meanwhile place potatoes in large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until just tender, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and toss with 1/4 cup reserved blue cheese dressing. Refrigerate potatoes until cool, about 1 hour. Toss with about 1/2 cup dressing and add celery, green onions and parsley. Add more dressing as needed and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Tomato and Cucumber Slaw with Lemon Dressing
Estimated Cost: $3.50
Notes: Ideally you should mix the dressing ingredients separately, but I confess that I never do. I always just toss it right onto the slaw ingredients and start mixing. This salad is best made a few hours before serving.
1 (10 ounce) bag slaw mix
2 tomatoes, finely chopped
1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, mint, or basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine all ingredients in a big bowl and mix. Season to taste for salt and pepper. Refrigerate until serving time. This salad keeps well for at least 4 hours. I even like it the next day, although it won't be quite as crisp.Coming Tomorrow:
Grilled Chicken with Easy Tangy Peach Barbecue Sauce
Plus a trick to keep boneless chicken moist on the grill...

18 comments:

Leah said...

Prudy, what fabulous menu ideas!! I'd be all over that crunchy slaw with cucumbers and cilantro...actually, both of those salads would be a hit with the DamFam - we all adore blue cheese!

Happy Fourth!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks delicious! I can't wait to try the potato salad! I love your blue plate with the red and white tablecloth!

MK and Co. said...

Fabulous Prudy! I love all of these food combinations. It's perfect. Can't wait till I actually get to eat it instead of just staring at it on a computer screen!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Except for the cucumber that I have extreme hate for, everything looks delicious. There's an award for you at my place, go pick it up please!

Pamela said...

Wow! Everythings sounds delicious, especially the Blue Cheese Potato salad. I'm sure I would be the only one eating that and all of the blue cheese dressing, though. I'm looking forward to that chicken recipe!

Jenny said...

Oh man that potato salad has my name written all over it!! It all looks terrific girl!

Emily said...

Yum! I love that you do menus for the holidays. This is fun.
I think we'll probably end up eating KFC or something. :(

Michal said...

the coleslaw looks fab, and i'm not usually a fan. i'll have to try it with veggies and cilantro from the garden. yummy.
i cannot wait to see you. cannot wait. it's going to be the highlight of my trip (shhh, don't tell my family.)

Sara said...

Prudy, this looks so yummy. I am always looking for a potato salad with an "x" on the mayo! My husband is sure that the mayo will clog his arteries. I'm excited to try this. Happy 4th!

Chef Jeena said...

Prudy, my hubby would love me to serve this meal up! He loves blue cheese and salads, you turned a salad into a DELICIOUS dish, fabulous!

Camilla said...

yum, YUM, YUM!!! Can we come over for the 4th? Looks so yummy, Prudy! The potato salad is everything I love in a potato salad--thanks for sharing!

Mrs. U said...

My mouth is watering right now reading these recipes!!! YUM!!! And anything with blue cheese or cilantro in it has my attention! Thank you for sharing these!

His,
Mrs. U

Veronica said...

Prudy, Looks great! I have to get some 4th of July picnic shopping done!

Lore said...

Prudy everytime I come to your blog I'm in awe of the dishes...I almost can't believe they're on a budget and today is no different!!! Delicious 4th of July suggestions.

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

What a fabulous combination Prudy. I love cilantro in cole salw!

Marie Rayner said...

Wonderful menu Prudy! I know where I wish I was eating on the
4th!

Anonymous said...

yum, both the slaw and the salad sound awesome. i love blue cheese!

Aggie said...

How did I miss these salads? These are so creative and look wonderful! What a great way to get some extra veggies in...