Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Nantucket Cranberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

If you've ever visited the "Little Grey Lady of the Sea," otherwise know as the island of Nantucket, then you know that it is famous for its cranberries. I first went to Nantucket on my honeymoon, and even though I was hopelessly devoted to my husband, I was forced to divide my affections between him and the cranberries. Sadly, I won't be jetting off to the island anytime in the near future, but I can (and often do) replicate the little cranberry white chocolate cookies that we purchased repeatedly at a little beachside bakery. I paid more for one cookie then you'll pay for this whole batch! Here's a little taste of Nantucket for the next generation.

Nantucket Cranberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Estimated Cost for Batch: $2.30
1/2 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup white chocolate chips
1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
1/2 cup natural pistachios, shelled and chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg, vanilla, and orange zest. Stir in salt and soda. Add flour and then oats. Mix in white chocolate, cranberries, and pistachios if desired. Roll into generous 1 inch balls and bake for 8-10 minutes. Makes about 26 cookies.

4 comments:

Michal said...

prudy,
i am loving this blog! i can't wait to try out all of the recipes. you've been holding out on me--these nantucket cookies look amazing. and your daughter is growing up so. keep them coming! i'm adding you to my blogroll!

Prudy said...

Michal:
Thanks so much for your kind comments and for directing your loyal readers this way. Truth be told, you could teach the world to sing the praises of thrift in the kitchen yourself. I hope you like the cookies. They're extra good with pistachios..or cashews....or macadamia nuts. Enjoy!

MK and Co. said...

These cookies look sooo good! I can't wait to try my and at them. Sailor looks so pretty and very grownup in this picture.

Michal said...

so, i made these cookies this morning. i found out at 7:45 that ian needed to bring something for his class picnic at 9:00. they are delicious! i did make a couple of tweaks, since it's nearly impossible for me to make a recipe as written (a characteristic that i picked up from you.) i put in half a cup each of white chocolate and dark chocolate chips, since i love dark chocolate with cranberries. i didn't have pistachios, cashews, or macadamias, so i left out the nuts. i am certain that they would be even more fab with nuts, but this way my kiddos will like them--and i did make them under the guise of a preschool treat, even if i'll hoard most of them for myself.
thanks for the recipe. i can't wait to make them again--with the nuts.