Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Cinco De Mayo Shopping List

Hay Caramba, it's almost time for Cinco de Mayo. I hardly need an excuse to glut myself on Mexican food. I'm loco for the stuff. (It should really be loca since I'm a girl, but I didn't want to confundir/confuse everyone.) I'll be making Mexican favorites for the next five days, from chips and fiery tomato salsa, to grilled flank steak tacos with cilantro slaw, classic rice and beans, and pineapple-orange-raspberry sherbet for dessert. (By the way, the picture is from my recipe for Salsa Picante on CookingLight.com) Here's what you'll need from the grocery store if you want to follow along. It's going to be fantastico. No le va a costar mucho, tampoco. (It's not going to cost you too much either.) See how much you're learning over here at Prudence Pennywise? Think how much money you're saving on your Spanish lessons!
4 white onions
1 head garlic
4 hot chili peppers, either jalapenos or serranos
2 fresh tomatoes
1 big bunch cilantro
3 limes
1 large Haas avocado
a very small banana (please don't tell my sister Leslie-she'll cry)
1 lb. flank steak or skirt steak, or premarinated carne asada or meat of choice (or grill some mushrooms and go veggie)
1 (14 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
lots of chicken broth
1 lb. sack dried pinto beans
1 cup long grain rice
olive oil
corn tortillas
tortilla chips
6 ounces angel hair cole slaw (in a bag)
8 ounce can crushed pineapple
frozen raspberries
4 cups orange soda
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Prudence,
Thankyou soooooo much for posting Cinco de Mayo ideas before the holiday instead of on the holiday, when it's too late for me to use them! You're a genius! I can't wait to see the grilled flank steak tacos with cilantro slaw, classic rice and beans and pineapple orange-raspberry sherbet! Sounds delish! Thanks for including the grocery list! Prudy, you're a dream come true!

A said...

I found you from the amazing Cathryn Gute and OOOOH am I ever excited! I can't wait to try your stuff. YUMMY! Thank you Thank you and I will visit often... probably every day!!

Veronica said...

Wow! What a great site! Your recipes look yummy!

Prudy said...

Ashlee and Veronica:
Welcome and happy cooking! I promise lots of cheap kitchen thrills.
Catte: Thanks for the Prudy plug. Look out Puffy Taco, we're making our own stuff now.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Love your blog and recipes.(and the music too!)Looking forward to seeing the other Cinco de Mayo ones.

MK and Co. said...

Erin es muy fantastico! Everything looks delicious as usual! Can't wait to come to your house soon!

This is Annaliese. Can't wait to see you soon!

A said...

I made your yummy chicken from a few posts back! So delicious.. can't wait to try the bbq chicken sandwiches tomorrow! Thanks!!!

Ice Cream said...

Ooooh, I'm so glad you reminded me about Cinco De Mayo. I forget every year and then find myself unprepared. And your salsas looks heavenly.

Camilla said...

Hi Prudy,

I have an award for you on my blog. Don't feel like you have to write about it or pass it along (a la chain letters of yore); you certainly can pass it along to others, but I just wanted to let you know how great I think your blog is (and to make sure others come by to check you out).

Anonymous said...

Prudy,

You have great looking food (It's on my list for my next dinner to prepare) and excellent taste in music. Is Dean Martin sexy or what!