Friday, September 3, 2010

Labor Day Dinner with Raspberry Pie for Dessert

All I ever want to eat for Labor Day is the best that the changing seasons have to offer. I opened my window this morning and I could feel the Fall coming in. September is like a cool breeze of hope for those of us who live in scorching climes. It's a hint of Autumn in the mornings and evenings, sandwiching warm, sunny days. All of the wonderful summer garden bounty is still ripe for the picking-corn, watermelon, juicy tomatoes. But the Fall harvest is beginning also-apples, late raspberries, wintersquash. And, mama, I want it all. Give me a piece of corn on the cob with an apple turnover on the side. So here's what we're having for dinner on Labor Day, to celebrate the very best of late summer. Now for dessert: I've been thinking about Raspberry pie all week long. I thought about it when I was balancing my checkbook, when I was teaching my college students about Galileo, when I was peeling potatoes. I had to stop the madness and make one. It's fantastic. Except now I want another one, so the madness really hasn't stopped at all. Betcha can't stop thinking about it, too now. It's fantastic and contagious, this berry pie obsession. Happy Labor Day, my dear, clever readers. Be safe and take it easy.
Grilled Steaks with Mushrooms, Blue Cheese and Red Bell Pepper

Mexican Corn on the Cob

Avocado and Nectarine SaladRoasted Red Potatoes and an Assortment of Potato Chips for Kids
For Dessert:
Watermelon
Miniature Apple Turnovers
Raspberry Pie (recipe to follow) served with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream End of Summer Raspberry Pie
Cost: as cheap as $6.00 if you can get a good deal on berries-now's the time!
Notes: I used frozen berries that I bought cheap a few weeks ago. No problem whatsoever.
double pie crust (click here for my tutorial), or purchase them
4 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (not thawed)
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup flour
squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon cream or milk
more sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard piedish with one pie crust. In a large bowl, combine berries, sugar, and flour, and lemon squeeze if using. Pour into piecrust. Dot with butter. Top with remaining piecrust. Poke holes with a fork to vent steam. Brush with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Place prepared pie on cookie sheet. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until crust is browned and raspberries are bubbling.
Happy Labor Day!

9 comments:

The JR said...

It all looks delicious.

Hope you have a great weekend and a wonderful labor day.

Michal said...

I have never made a raspberry pie, but boysenberry is my favoritist, so this one can't be bad.

Ah, food obsessions. Are they a blessing or a curse? I often wonder:) Sometimes they are such a great motivator to me to make something wonderful for my family, other times they are my downfall.

Unknown said...

Dear Prudelicious, I bet you don't get too many guys on your blog so I hope I can add to the numbers. I too daydream about food. Sometimes pies and sometimes Sloppy Joe's. Thats probably why I look the way I do. You have inspired me to go out into my garden to pick fresh raspberries and make a pie. I need to plant them first. How long do you think until I can eat my pie?

Look forward to your next post,

Prudy said...

syxmiles,
Forget about the pie. Come on over for those sloppy joes you talked about. Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a long time.

Catherine said...

The pie looks dee-licious. I don't know what I'm eating tommorow, but I wish I was coming to your house.

Amanda said...

Everything looks marvelous. Have a wonderful labor day!

It's all Good- The Allen Fam said...

Oh yum! I just might have to make that pie too;it looks delicious!

Unknown said...

The science of accident weight is absolutely simple - just absorb added activity than you accept with commons after lida .But the lida daidaihua would advice you easier to complete your plan with accident weight.That accident weight with slimming capsule .I talks about the slimming capsules bulb from South Africa.

Office Movers Bloomington said...

Hello nnice post