Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fall Kick Off Breakfast: Apple Pancakes

I keep waiting to have a Fall kick-off dinner, but it's just too darn hot. If I walk outside at noon, it feels a lot more like July is coming and not October. I'm going to forget about sewing Halloween costumes and starting lighting fireworks instead if this keeps up. I've been checking the daily weather in Cairo, Egypt (getting ready for my trip in a few weeks), and it is cooler there than here. I mean it! I might have to host my Fall kick-off dinner in the Sahara desert since it is more pleasant than my corner of the southwest. Pumpkins and pyramids, anyone?
There is a saving grace to all this afternoon heat: the mornings are celestial. Breezy and cool, not a degree above seventy. Heaven must have the thermostat set at sixty-eight, don't you think? So this year, I've postponed my Fall kick-off dinner and we had an outdoor Fall kick-off breakfast instead. I served applesauce pancakes, with a hearty side of buttery cinnamon apples and some smoky bacon on the side. You'll think you've died and gone to heaven for breakfast. You might want to stay all day, since it's going to be a scorcher.
PS I'm going to the egg farm tomorrow morning. Really this time. I'll be back with lots of details.
Money Saving Tips:
Buy apples in bulk while they are cheap. Make your own applesauce by placing peeled apple slices in the slowcooker with some cinnamon and sugar. Bonus: Your house will smell amazing!
Apple Pancakes
Estimated Cost: $5.00 for 4-6 servings
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 and 1/2 taplespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons melted butter
1 and 1/2 cups applesauce
For Sauteed Apples
2 tablespoons butter
3 apples, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, and butter. Pour wet ingredients over the dry and mix just until combined. Stir in applesauce. Cook pancakes on preheated gridle in melted butter. Serve with maple syrup. Meanwhile, prepare sauteed apples. Melt butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add apple sauces. Cook for three minutes. Turn and cook an additional three minutes, or until apples are golden and softened. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and cook until syruppy, about two minutes longer. Serve with pancakes.
Next Up:
West's Easy Cheese Pizza

16 comments:

Tightwad Mom said...

My family loves apples and pancakes together,so I know this will be a winner at our house. It is still in the high 80's in my little corner of Idaho, which is totally out of character! We are usually starting to pull out winter gear by now, not still playing in the kiddie pool!!!!!

Katie and Mark said...

Mmmmm....That sounds SO good! Maybe I will make this for our "Breakfast for Dinner" night this week. :)

Tanji said...

Yummy! Perfect fall breakfast. I don't know if it will ever feel like fall here in AZ. Locals say it will, but I don't believe it yet. Have a great trip! You are such a world traveler ~ I love it! o.k. and I'm a little jealous. :)

Julie said...

I'm a little sick of this desert heat as well, but these pancakes look like the perfect way to get in the autumn spirit!

gigi said...

What a great way to use our fresh apples, just yummy looking.

The JR said...

Looks wonderful.

It actually felt like fall here in Mississippi this morning.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I'll take the apple pancakes, RIGHT NOW (please?!)

Catherine said...

I love your idea for a Fall Kick Off Breakfast. Even up our way it feels too hot to be Fall. I know it will eventually, but it certainly doesn't right now.

Your breakfast looks delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Amanda said...

Yummers. I'll take a stack please!

Susan said...

These were delicious -- I'd highly recommend! For the record, I used 1.5 cups whole wheat and buttermilk and they were soft and light. The kitchen smelled great, too. Thanks for posting another great recipe.

mコミュ said...

mコミュで簡単にハメ友を見つけませんか!!登録している娘は相手は誰でも良いんです、条件はSEXが好きの一点だけです。さあ連絡を取って手っ取り早くハメ友をGETしよう

エリザベス女王杯 said...

第35回 エリザベス女王杯 2010 予想 オッズには抜け穴がある…現場スタッフによるデータ収集、さらに血統に関しても徹底して分析済み!出走馬の調整、展開を完全に読みきる!裏情報を独占公開!

ニューハーフ said...

ニューハーフと出会える新感覚出会いBBSが誕生しました!ニューハーフと逢いたい男性、恋人が欲しいニューハーフさんは当サイトに今すぐ参加しよう

モバゲー said...

モバゲーよりも簡単に出会えるサイト「スタービーチ」は誰でも簡単に出会いができちゃいます!詳しくは当サイトをご覧ください!

デコログ said...

デコログ掲示板で出会いを楽しみませんか?ちょっとした出会いからHな出会いまで幅広い出会いを提供しているのはデコログだけ!楽しくない毎日を刺激のある毎日に変えましょう

グリー said...

グリーでは奇跡の出会いをプロデュースしております。今までに味わった事のない出会いを体験してみてください。