Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dutch Oven Apple Crisp

I am here, right where you left me. I haven't moved an inch, other than to take Sailor to her voice lesson and run by the grocery store for a few eggs. Eggs. Remember on Sunday when I wrote that I was leaving in the morning to Oregon to tour an egg farm? It turns out I was a whole week early. Thankfully I discovered my error early enough to avoid a trip to the airport. But please excuse me while I wipe a little egg (ha!) off my face. Did you know that I make dozens, maybe even hundreds, of little mistakes every day? If you didn't know, then I'm telling you now. I hope you'll love me anyway, flawed as I am. If you want a good laugh and a hearty helping of self deprecating humor, then I'm your gal.
A couple of weekends ago, we packed up a late afternoon picnic and headed up to the mountains with my parents, and my sisters Heidi and Mary Kate with their families, 11 charges total. Kids + dirt +rocks = everlasting happiness. We noshed on chips and dips, sandwiches, and s'mores, but the Quiet Man got it into his head that he wanted to make something in the Dutch Oven. I'll never ever ever tell you this since it would be bragging, but that husband of mine is pretty amazing with a Dutch Oven. (He inherited this outdoorsman skill from his Dad, the Quiet Grandpa.) Since fall is coming (three more days, officially) it had to be an apple crisp. Now, you can make this toothsome treat in your oven and it will be every bit as tasty, but there is something especially-special about making food out in nature. So go out and have a fall picnic, would you? Just tell me when to be there. You better write it down twice, because I've been know to confuse a date. Or two. But I hope you'll love me anyway.
Money Saving Tips:
Do you have a pick your own orchard? Head over and stock up. I buy apples in bulk for tuppins in the fall-they keep for at least a couple of months in a cool place.
Dutch Oven (or not) Apple Crisp
adapted from Joy of Cooking
Estimated Cost: $3.00 for 8 servings
8 apples, peeled (I like Golden Delicious and Granny Smith's for baking)
3 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a nine by thirteen dish. (If using a Dutch Oven, do not grease. Light 24 charcoal briquettes and wait until they are covered with ash, about 15 minutes.) Layer apples in pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. In a medium bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and oats. Blend in 1/2 cup softened butter with fingertips, just to evenly distribute. (It's Ok to have some pea-sized clumps.) Cut remaining 2 tablespoons butter in pieces and dot the top of the apple crisp. Bake in oven for 50 minutes, or until apples are bubbly and topping is browned. (If using Dutch oven, bake for 20-25 minutes.) Serve with vanilla ice cream or a drizzle of cream. Delicious!
Next Up:
Easy Pasta Pommodoro

13 comments:

The JR said...

So that kinda sounds like the time I went to renew my drivers license. Handed it to the officer and they wanted to know how they could help me. I said I needed to renew my license. She said, it's not expired..... I still had a year left.

Michal said...

licking the computer screen. i have to make this as soon as possible.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Nothing says Fall like apple crisp. This recipe looks like a keeper!

http://barefootbysea.blogspot.com

gigi said...

What a wonderful adventure filled with family and food!, Yummy!

Tightwad Mom said...

Oh,I'm so excited! Dear Hubby gave me an enamelware coated dutch oven for Mother's Day. This apple crisp recipe will work perfectly in it,and I can bake it in the oven! Best of both worlds! No worries, Prudy, little mistakes just make you more lovable. At least, that is how I justify it!

Bill Bird said...

Me and Michael both have this problem with licking the computer screen.

Question Prudy? Should that half cup butter be melted when it's mixed with the flour, oats and brown sugar? At least soft? Or completely melted?

Tank you.

Leigh said...

The apple crisp looks so yummy! I can't wait to try it. Also, I have a question unrelated to the post: what's the purpose of using unsalted butter? I have a recipe that calls for unsalted butter, but then later in the instructions, calls for salt. Huh? Is there something magical about unsalted butter that cooks up differently than its salty brother? I usually give in and keep two kinds of butter in the fridge for just such recipes. It would be easier to just have one kind and adjust the added salt, but by how much?

Prudy said...

Bill-I'm not done making mistakes today! I forgot to write softened butter. I'll go fix it now. PS Had some garden tomatoes in our soup tonight. Yum!

Prudy said...

Leigh-great question. Most bakers prefer unsalted butter for a couple of reasons. First of all, unsalted butter can be fresher than salted. The salt acts like a preservative and extends the shelf life of butter. Buying unsalted is almost a guarantee of freshness. Also, by using unsalted you have more control over the quantity of salt. I say-who cares? I use whatever I have on hand and make adjustments. Do the same and it'll all come out fine!

dee said...

Apple crisp is a wonderful dish, we have a bumper crop of apples in the UK this autumn, you can see them everywhere, so this is definitely a pennywise dish!

Bill Bird said...

Oh my goodness! The spammers love you Prudy. Made this last night for the wife -- and posted a link to your page up on Facebook for all 2.5 of my friends and followers...

Anonymous said...

Dearest Prudy,

Taking the charges camping this weekend and want to make this but I have a question. With 15 people present, I am assuming you doubled this recipe. Can I double it in one dutch oven, or do I need two? I want to have enough to share with fellow campers. I'll email you if I don't hear back from you soon here. Missing you tons. (Posting this as Anonymous because Blogger isn't letting me log in. Ugh.) -- Michal

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on presumably.
Regards

Feel free to visit my page; bmi chart for men