Thursday, May 13, 2010

10 things I have learned in 24 hours with 7 kids

This is Prudence Pennywise, reporting from the front lines, where seven children and one mildly deranged thirty something woman have survived a full day and night. Here's what I've learned about babysitting my sister's five children (plus my two), while she takes a well- deserved vacation with her husband in the Cayman Islands.
1. If you take the kids to the park, don't watch the baby. Watch the toddler. If you don't watch the toddler, he'll get off the slide and join in a tug of war with the junior high kids on a field trip. (Incidentally, his team won. )
2. Some children will not mind having orange Cheeto dust and pink frosting all over their shirts. But if you happened to brush by them with a damp hand, they will need to change IMMEDIATELY.
3. It's impossible to make an egg or a peanut butter sandwich, even with explicit instructions, the way your Mom does.
4. Boys forget they are hungry when they are playing, but suddenly remember that they are starving and have eaten nothing all day at bedtime.
5. The baby will not mind being babysat during the day, but he'll be mad as a hornet that you are not his mother at 3 AM.
6. Blue Raspberry snow cone syrup does come out of beige carpet. Phew.
7. Things like scout books, soccer cleats, ballet bags, school shoes, and homework have both tendencies to be lost whenever you need them, and to clutter up the house whenever you don't need them.
8. Every child on planet earth wants to buy lunch on pizza day.
9. Children are amazingly beautiful and flawless when sleeping. (But I already knew that.)
10. My sister really, really deserves a vacation. I don't know how she does it, but I better figure it out soon.
Next Up:
Asian Steak Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing

14 comments:

The JR said...

You are a good sister!

Whew, what a day.....

Adrienne said...

Awesome! I'll bet you're the coolest aunt around. That's a really little baby to be watching. Just the baby alone would be a big job! At least it sounds like the kids can play together and keep each other entertained.

Seth and Julie said...

Amen! Now call your mother of 10 and tell her she is a saint!

Signs and Salvage said...

You are the COOLEST sister EVER!!!! I watched my sister in laws kids one day YEARS ago...that was six kids total. And after I counted how many butts I had to wipe that day...I quickily called my hubby crying and said...YOU NEED TO COME HOME NOW:)

Prayers of sleep are with you my friend:):)

TTFN,

Kristin

ps...I think maybe your sister should bring a pretty FABULOUS souvenier back to you!!!

Catherine said...

You really are a nice sister. And I know from experience. I loved this post and I'm glad that blue snow cone syrup came out of the carpet. =D

Becky said...

That's my life in a nutshell! Funny!

Tightwad Mom said...

You should get sainthood for this! Oh, don't forget...paper plates are a girl's best friend

Prudence said...

oh my I had to come over and follow you. My name is Prudence and my nickname is Prudy. I have 5 children and a blog.
www.avintagemom.blogspot.com
to funny!

gigi said...

These were cute lessons you learned. Continued good luck!

Brownieville Girl said...

Oh man, that all rings so true PP.

You really are a wonderful sister - major brownie points to you!!

Michal said...

what a great sister. are you available to watch my five kids? i'm sure i could figure out a reason to leave the country for a week!;)

this post is hilarious and oh, so easy to relate to. i nearly snorted over your mad-as-a-hornet at 3am discovery!

hopefully h and c are dropping in to help? although with their own broods, who knows if it's help or hindrance!

Tightwad Mom said...

I recently started following your blog and love, love, love it! Please hop on over to my blog (http://tightwadmomsfrugalforum.blogspot.com/) soon to receive your Versatile Blogger award!

Andrea said...

I really like your blog! Awesome.

Unknown said...

links london aftereffect about-face of the plan has been accident at the aforementioned time there is action to present added new aftermath shape, as able-bodied as ladies and men's Links of London Charms affection agreeableness to accomplish a richer and added assorted yield. For a continued time, Links Charms trinkets and ability has always been admired as a avant-garde and baton in the commerce. In 2007, the alarm for three after actuality in the Links London Charms Awards, he was awarded "Annual charms cast" awards.