Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Whole Wheat Rolls-great for Sandwiches with Leftover Ham

Happy Week after Easter. Have you finished picking all the Easter grass out of your carpet? Me neither. I keep reaching in the Easter baskets and stealing candy, too. I'm going through all my Easter pictures, 213 in all. We had loads of cousins here, and those kids just can't take a bad picture. I won't be able to delete any (ahem, unless I am in them.) Those cute cousins decorated eggs with such youthful enthusiasm. Here they are lined up, youngest to oldest, getting ready to hunt the same eggs.There's nothing cuter than miniature people in Easter clothes. And don't even get me started on the babies! This baby celebrated her first birthday on Easter. I finally got those chocolate Easter Eggs decorated, just in the nick of time. Here's Sailor, showing them off (and her braces, too). It is now officially spring, since we've essentially celebrated the concept of new life. I can see it all around me. Our garden is starting to produce spinach and radishes. The skies are blue and the wind is busy scattering seeds. Here's my backyard view...Spring has sprung in southern Utah. It's time to open the windows, clean out the closets, and pack up the heavy sweaters. It's also time to clean out the fridge- but it's overflowing with Easter leftovers at the moment. With that in mind, I thought I'd share some of my favorite healthy whole wheat rolls. They're soft enough to hold eggs salad, but sturdy enough for leftover ham. They're deceptively light, thanks to the instant potato flakes, especially considering that they are made from all wheat flour. Have a wonderful spring day!
Whole Wheat Rolls from Bon Appetit
Estimated Cost: $2.00 for 16
Notes: Sub 1 cup leftover mashed potatoes for the potato flakes and reduce the water to 1/2 cup.
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 cup dry milk powder
3 tablespoon sugar
2 and 1/4 teaspoon quick rising yeast
1 and 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolk
1 egg white, whisked with 1 tablespoon water for glaze
3-4 tablespoons quick cooking oats
Bring milk and water to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in butter. Cool to luke warm. Meanwhile, combine flour, potato flakes, milk powder, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Whisk to blend. Add warm milk mixture and egg yolk. Knead mixture in bowl until dough comes together. Dough will be sticky. Remove from bowl and knead until smooth, adding a little flour at a time. Place dough in buttered bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 90 minutes. Butter a cookie sheet. Divide dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll into smooth bowl. Arrange balls on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 75 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush rolls with egg white glaze and sprinkle with oats. Bake until light golden brown, about 28 minutes. Let rest in pan for five minutes.
Up Next:
Hopefully Chocolate Marble Cake-late for Tuesdays with Dorie....

12 comments:

Adrienne said...

My family has treasured your other whole wheat bun recipe, and I like the idea of something even lighter!

The JR said...

Great pictures of your kids and the cousins. Looks like Easter was very nice at your house!

Catherine said...

It looks like everyone had so much fun. What a Happy Easter.

The rolls look delicious and I can't wait to try them.

Julie Harward said...

Such cute kids...looks like a fun Easter and the rolls look wonderful! Come say hi :D

Signs and Salvage said...

I think I will find Easter grass for months!!! It looks like you had a wonderful day!! Those rolls look delish:)

TTFN,

Kristin

Leslie said...

Easter looked like so much fun.
The babies are adorable.
I saw the picture of all the grandkids lined up, and saw the girl on the end in the lavender shirt and thought, 'who is that, she looks just like me?'
Then I realized it was HOLLY! No wonder she looked just like me. She's mine!
I'm so glad you posted pictures.
The recipe looks great and I'll have to try and make them. Have fun with everyone. I wish I was there.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

What a wonderful recipe and looks like a wonderful day!!!

Chef Aimee said...

What yummy rolls! I am glad you had such a nice holiday with your family!

Seth and Julie said...

Okay, I just looked at the grandkids picture and was laughing because I was wondering why Leslie was at the end of the line. Then I read her comment and realized it was Holly. That is amazing! She is a knock out just like her momma.

Michal said...

love all the cousin photos. was that birthday girl h's? she is beautiful. these look like a great standby; wish i'd seen it earlier and we'd be having them tonight!

Katie and Mark said...

Great pic of the cousins! I love it. It makes me sad I didn't crash this party. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes Michael the beautiful birthday baby is h's