Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shattered Glass, Restoration, and Marble Cakes

There's been a lot of excitement around here. Who would have thought one extra large pane of shattered glass could be such an event? Maybe it's because we live in a small town, where there is very little crime. When a pint size pistol impulsively hucks a few stones, it creates a bit of a stir. (Pint size pistol completely forgiven; those things can happen and often do when you are pint sized.) I have to admit without taking any credit, dear readers, that we do have a beautiful door. We didn't design it, but the previous owners (read my parents), had it made custom. It is gorgeous wrought iron and tempered glass, sturdy and imposing on one hand, but also whimsical and beautiful. I worried a bit when the glass broke-could it be fixed? Last week, the glassman came out to measure, but I was still skeptical, since the glass had a beautiful marbled design and an arched top. On Wednesday, right in the middle of an Art lesson on Japanese print making, the glassman arrived. The first thing he did was to drill out all of the remaining glass. (Not all of the pieces had crumbled to the ground on their own. ) It was a sunlit spectacle, with bits of falling crystal. The charges gathered up all the bits they could find and are saving them. I'm not sure what for, but they are like ferrets. When they see something pretty and shiny, they go into hoarding mode. The glassman was slow, thorough, and deliberate, excellent qualities for one who deals with fragile glass. (I am skittish, jumpy, and clumsy...so maybe I'd better stick with my current job. Kids aren't too fragile, right?) In the end, we ended up with a lovely new pane of glass. It's a little different than the previous glass, but it's every bit as beautiful. The swirled pattern reminded me of the swirls in pound cake, which reminded me that I was late for my assignment for Tuesdays with Dorie. But there is redemption and repair, even if it requires patience. And good things are always worth waiting for, whether it be glass of pound cake. And speaking of waiting, this one's even better if you let it sit for a day...if you can.
Chocolate Marble Pound Cake
adapted from Dorie Greenspan
Estimated Cost: $3.00
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 and 1/4 cup flour, divided use
1/3 cup cocoa powder
powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Stir in salt and soda. Add half of buttermilk. Stir in 1/2 cup flour. Add remaining buttermilk, and just 1/2 cup flour. Divide batter in half. Add cocoa powder to half of the batter, and remaining 1/4 cup flour to the other portion. Spoon alternating large dollops of overlapping batter into the loaf pan. Swirl gently with a knife just a couple of times. Don't get too crazy or you'll ruin the marble. Bake for about 40-5o minutes, or until top springs back when touched. Let cool for ten minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Next Up:
My Mom's Chicken Scampi

17 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

You never, ever disappoint!

NeverEver said...

The new glass looks like the top of a thinly frozen pond :-)

Nickki said...

Never a dull moment! Glad you are happy with your new glass. We had a broken window here a few months ago, caused by a little boy throwing stones! Gorgeous cake :-)

Catherine said...

The glass and the cake both look great.

I love that Sailor and Westy are saving the old glass pieces. It reminds me of Frances saving gravel in her drawer.

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm glad no one was cut!

Emily said...

Wow, that is a beautiful cake. It looks so moist!

The new door looks lovely too.

Your kiddos must be so smart! I wish I had been taught Japanese art when I was growing up. It's never too late to learn, right?

Chef Aimee said...

I love the new glass and the marble cake - both textures are just perfect!

Wendyfmckinley said...

I am glad you posted this because my Nate was just lamenting that little bear was sure lucky to have a mom that makes cake, well darn it i can make cake.

Prudy said...

Oh, Wendy, you crack me up. I love that little bear chapter. And while you are at it, you ought to make some soup, like little bear and his friends.

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Oh Prudy I love how interchange recipes with life! The new glass is very pretty so is the cake, but if you ask me I'd ratter eat the cake ;)

Denise said...

We had one child (I won't mention my oldest's name) chase his sister all around the house and the yard to have her run through the front door and shut it and her brother chuck a rock at her hitting the glass door and shattering the beautiful printed side, only to leave clear glass exposed. There's something about the law of attraction and rock & bb's. Glad you're all fixed up! I won't tell you what happened before we got a new pane......;o)

Michal said...

love the glass, the door, the kids, and that cake!

Rocky said...

I am really surprised by the quality of your constant posts.You really are a genius, I feel blessed to be a regular reader of such a blog Thanks so much..Plz Visit My Blog-
অনলাইন কাজ
Mobile price in bangladesh

Business Analyst said...

best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel
best spinning reel

GC BUYING said...

Hi,
Thanks for sharing this beautiful and informative article.
I have really enjoyed reading the article and of course learned several new things from your content.
I would definitely share this blog on my social media pages.
Looking forward and waiting for your new blogs
Thank you

imran khan said...

Just inspired by your writing. What a blog! Can you please come to my website and review a few of my blogs.

Bell News said...

Wow I really enjoyed to read that all i will always follow You thanks for the great article.
It conatains so good knowledge. Full of informative article
Ertugrul Ghazi