Monday, April 19, 2010

My New Favorite Chipotle Buttermilk Dressing



Ever heard of Schnippers? It's a bare-bones New York City eatery made famous by a pretty straightforward but very tasty sloppy-joe. Upping the fame factor, Bobby Flay did a sloppy joe throw down with Schnippers. I'm not sure who won, but either way, Schnippers wins. With a spartan menu and decor, and Prudence Pennywise-approved pricing, anyone who is rambling around Times Square could cut over a few blocks for a satisfying dining experience.
The kids ate fries, chicken, burgers (do modern kids order anything else when they go out to eat, for pete's sake?) and the Quiet Man happily sunk his teeth into the famous sloppy joe, I ordered the salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing. Full of colorful vegetables, fresh, and crisp, the salad was the perfect antidote to the street food I'd been muching on for days. It was the dressing, barely spicy and smoky, sumptuous and creamy, that had me craving it long after our trip to NYC was over.
I started with a basic formula for Ranch dressing and fiddled around with the chipotle and a couple of different tomato products. I got the best results with chipotle chili powder and the oft overlooked condiment ketchup, believe it or not. Since ketchup has a good balance of sweet and tart notes, it's not only great for drowning fries, but it also works very well in dressings and sauces. Get some fresh, crisp greens and some rainbow-bright vegetables to lay down and surrender underneath my new favorite Chipotle Buttermilk dressing. I hope it'll be a new favorite for you, too.
Chipotle Buttermilk Dressing
Estimated Cost: about $2.00 for 1 and 1/2 cups
1/2 cup buttermilk
scant 1/2 cup mayonnaise (low fat is fine OR swap 1/3 cup Greek yogurt plus 3 tablespoons oil)
1/4 cup ketchup
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (Add more if you like, but start small)
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon honey
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a blender and process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator for one week. It's great as a dressing for a brown rice or quinoa salad, too.
Up Next:
Sweet Cream Biscuits for Tuesdays with Dorie
PS I just noticed that we've got over 400 penny-pinching followers. That means I owe you my labor of love pound cake recipe. I'll post that recipe this Friday for three days only. On Monday, it's going back into the top secret files...

10 comments:

The JR said...

Sounds great. I would love a good sloppy joe too.

I'll have to be sure to get that top secret recipe before you remove it!

Leslie said...

This looks delicious.
I will try it and eat it for weeks and weeks.
Thanks for a fun week, too, by the way.
I had a great time laughing with you and having fun with the whole family.

Honeyed Hashette said...

As you know I'm feeding a babe these days so I am always starved and when I visit your blog I am hungrier than ever!!

gigi said...

I love that you have top secret filesand that you are willing to share them with the 400 of us :)

This salad dressing looks and sounds so yummy! I think I would love it.

Nichicakes said...

Yum! Cant wait to try this!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Oh my, looks great!

Anonymous said...

don't you love reverse engineering recipes? That's my favorite part about going to restaurants - seeing what ideas I can steal :-)

MK and Co. said...

That looks like the best salad and dressing ever! I can't wait to try this one! Thanks Prudy!

Michal said...

you make me want to go to NYC so badly! i've actually planned a trip for our family there this fall, only to decide that we need to wait a few more years to take them on a non-stop sight-seeing trip. sigh.

Unknown said...

As for Louis vuitton bags
, the designers accept their own cast value, even for their bags. Discount Louis Vuitton Wallet are so abiding and accept able ability for water-proof and fire-proof. From the start, they aggressive to the ability and blue-blooded market. That is aswell why lv handbag new accoutrements adore top report.