Friday, April 2, 2010

Chocolate Covered Fudge Easter Eggs

Crazy, I tell you. This day has been CRAZY. Sometimes I think I should rip the pages out of my planner and put them in that old circular file. Because what's the point in planning when most of what happens upends the best laid plans? And here's the kicker: I kind of like it that way. There is never a dull moment around here. Take last night for instance. While I was away teaching my college students about Mary Wollstonecraft and the roots of feminism and the Quiet man was trying to get the charges into the tub and finish off some of his paperwork, he heard a spine tingling crash followed by lesser pings. The little neighbor boy, in a burst of impulse, threw a few rocks at our front door and shattered the glass. The Quiet Man called the parents, who were just as nice and gracious as they could be and the little boy came back, in tears, completely repentant. It will all be fixed and all will be well. But for now, the front door is completely out of commission. Which means, everyone must tromp through West's room, which happens to be a mess of Star Wars Action figures, among other things at the moment. And wouldn't you know it, today was the day for a slew of visitors, who stand at the shattered door, wondering what to do. There have been no less than 14 rings on my doorbell this morning. 14! We had a neighbor who needed to borrow garlic, a cousin, who wanted to borrow a bathing suit, the UPS man with my new mixer (Thank you, French's!), a sister who pulled into town with her five children, my parents, two dear, dear friends from California, a couple of neighborhood kids who heard about the door and wanted to get the whole story, and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. Come on in, everybody! Welcome to Insanity; pull up a chair and stay as long as you like. And please keep in mind, that we are still doing spelling tests, piano and violin practice, history lessons on the Civil War and Medieval China. And through all of this, I've been a chocolatey disaster, dipping these eggs for my promised posts, and chuckling to myself about this messy, unorganized, imperfect thing called Life. And I wouldn't change one thing. I have to go-the doorbell just rang. I'm serious! It's the glassman to measure the door-Hooray!
Chocolate Dipped Fudge Easter Eggs
Estimated Cost: $5.00 for 10
Notes: I used the Nestle Toll House fudge recipe, since it's not overly rich (ahem, for fudge) and it's pretty sturdy.
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup evaporated milk (5 ounce can)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 and 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
Place sugar, milk, salt and butter in medium saucepan. Bring to a full ROLLING boil. Cook, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in marshmallows, chips, walnuts, and vanilla. Pour into 8 inch square dish. Let cool for ten minutes. Scoop out 1/3 cup portions and shape into eggs. You should get about 10-12. Place on waxed paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Refrigerate until firm, at least two hours. Here are some fudge eggs, before dipping.
To Dip in chocolate,
Melt 2 cups chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons shortening in medium bowl on lowest power setting in microwave. Stir often. Don't scorch your chocolate, or it will become grainy and you won't be able to use it at all. When chocolate is smooth and melted, immerse cold fudge eggs, one a time, in chocolate. Slide your spoon underneath the egg and pull it out gently. Place on waxed paper. If too much chocolate pools on the side, run a toothpick or sharp knife around the edges when the chocolate is almost set.
You'll have a bit too much chocolate, but it's necessary to get smooth eggs. Here's one when I skimped on chocolate. See the bumpy top.
For a little extra treat, throw marshmallows, nuts and dried fruits into the leftover chocolate in the bowl and remove spoonfulls to waxed paper to set. That way nothing goes to waste.
When you finish and the chocolate is set, you can decorate with frostings, candies, or piped colored candy melts. I haven't made it that far yet, but here's what I did last year.
Here's the link for the Peanut Butter Easter Eggs Recipe-my absolute favorite!
Happy Easter Everybody! Much love to you and your families.

16 comments:

Signs and Salvage said...

Mmmmmmm....looks so yummy!! It sounds like as much chaos you have...you have 10 times as much love & laughter...the important part:)
Happy Easter to you:)

Take Care,

Kristin

gigi said...

Sorry for your window but what an adventurous day! I also love that kind of day filled with family and friends and visits and hugs and kisses.
Looks like another good egg recipe.
Happy Easter weekend to you and your's.

Julie Harward said...

So thats how it's done huh...looks fun and SO yummy! Have a good weekend and come say hi :D

Memória said...

Woah. Those eggs look so tempting. I'm glad your window is in the process of getting fixed!

Michal said...

never a dull moment!

the kids and i are making your peanut butter chocolate eggs this afternoon. i don't know if any of them will make it until sunday, though.

Anonymous said...

You are so good to all of us! What a devoted blogger and friend you are to work on chocolate eggs on top of your huge work load. Well, we love you for it. Happy Easter to you and yours, too!

JJ said...

They look just like See's Easter Eggs! So yummy!

Prudy said...

Anonymous:
I could kiss you! Thanks for your kind words!

Chef Aimee said...

Chaos is what makes life vibrant and worth living! What yummy eggs you made! Happy Easter!

Kaylee said...

MMMM looks good to me.. Have a look at my blog at http://theworldofkayleeandreggie.blogspot.com and you can be my follower!!!!!!!!!!

The JR said...

Sorry about your door.

The eggs look great!

Maria said...

Yum! I hope you had a nice Easter. I am sure you did with these eggs:)

Allie said...

Wow these look yummy!

Rachael said...

Yummy!

Unknown said...

For a more ed hardy subtle and elegant ed hardy shoes look, consider a form ed hardy clothing fitting easy to slip in ed hardy clothes and out of floor ed hardy store length dress or skirt. They ed hardy Bikini are available in bright patterns, many ed hardy swimsuits chic designs, and ed hardy Caps an array of colors buy ed hardy or one solid and dignified color. They ed hardy swimwear are comfortable and flow freely allowing ed hardy sale for more room to move and even ed hardy glasses dance.If you are looking for a comfortable cheap ed hardy and fashionable maternity blouse, there Christian audigier are blouses of every variety that are both stylish and comfy.

85Brenda said...

My Grandmother gave me peanut butter eggs every Easter when I was growing up. I have been searching for a recipe so I can make them for my kids and carry on the tradition. To make it extra special, I looked online and found a company, Box and Wrap that has the cutest Easter candy boxes and candy bags. I chose the bunny shaped candy box.