Saturday, February 20, 2010

Honey Wheat Waffles for Future Olympians

Hey, become a follower by clicking on the link on the left hand side. I promise not to lead any followers astray, but instead will tempt you with hundreds of easy, money-saving recipes. Start clicking, and don't forget to tell your grandma, hair-dresser, and dog groomer. How bout those Olympics? My eyes have been glued to the set. Collectively, the four of us have had 8 bulging eyes glued to the set. Which means, of course, that no one goes to bed before 11 at night. It's no sweat when you're, ahem, 30 something, but what about my little charges? They nod off after 11 every night, full of flying tomato gold medal dreams. These are good times to be a homeschooler. So what if they sleep in a little the next day? As long as they get their work done, they can watch Lysacek best Plushenko even on a school night. And they can wake up to a lip-smacking breakfast of honey wheat waffles, with Canadian maple syrup, bien sur.
These truly are fantastic waffles. They aren't crisp, just soft, hearty and suprisingly tender, and perfect for soaking up puddles of melted butter and syrup. Plus they're round and golden, just like that certain Olympic medal that's dancing through the wee little heads of my sleepy children. Who knows? Maybe someday it'll be my Sailor the Olympic Curler, or my West the Olympic Hockey player. Oh dear, we'd better start practicing. But first, a breakfast for champions.....

Honey Wheat Waffles
Slightly Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Estimated Cost: $3.00 for six waffles
1 and 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 and 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
7 tablespoons melted butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine flours, powder, soda and salt in large bowl. In separate bowl, combine buttermilk, honey, melted butter, eggs and vanilla. Pour over dry ingredients and whisk just until combined. Cook on preheated, greased waffle iron and serve with lots of butter and Canadian Maple Syrup.
Next Up:
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup-with a surprise twist

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

these look so yummy! I hope you will not count out the chocolate waffles. Maybe they won't be the waffles of future olympians, but rather those future sweet tooths, or chocoholics, or those in love! :)

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Yum, yum....give me some! I so wish I was at your house to have a bite!

Catherine said...

The waffles look so delicious, and I have failed to cook an olympic meal yet, so I'll have to give these a try. And I always thought maybe West could have a future as an Olympic Fencer!

Prudy said...

Anonymous-Chocolate Waffles coming soon, promise! I have much more in common with future and present sweet tooths than those svelte athletes, anyhow!:)

Nickki said...

Oh my those waffles look delicious! I love all those little pools of butter, Yum! :-)

I am now an official follower of your blog!

savvygreenmom said...

Yep...mouth watering. Whew, do these look awesome! I just made some really good pancakes using Kamut Khorasan Wheat which was not only nutritional but soooo delish! I definitely would love to make these waffles using Kamut flour too! Thanks for sharing :)

Mary Ann said...

I am going to make these right now! It is rainy and waffles are just the thing. Thanks!

The JR said...

I miss waffles. Am back on the 4 letter word (diet).....

They look good.

Adrienne said...

Hey Prudy! I just wanted to share this anecdote: Our church is working on getting us all to have a 3 month supply of food in our homes and I did a demonstration of shelf-stable meals using your AWESOME salsa (dried onion and garlic, canned tomatoes). One of the ladies who tried it said "I'm a Texan. I know salsa. And this is GOOD!" So thanks again for posting all these delicious recipes. My family loves when I make your recipes.

Prudy said...

Adrienne, yeah! What a good idea to make food storage salsa. That could literally save our family. Sailor has declared that she would rather die than eat food storage. Rather grim, wouldn't you say? Now she can live well on Texas approved salsa!

Chef Aimee said...

Looks like a breakfast of champions to me! I was addicted to watching Shaun White, the USA hockey team, and the figure skate dancing!

gigi said...

I just love recipes that i can use my whole wheat in and that taste good too!

crabigail adams said...

Watching the Olympics is a bonus for home schoolers! Too bad my poor husband -- who has to get up for a 5 a.m. commute to L.A. -- does NOT get to home school.

We love your recipes -- we've had so many successes, we're keeping a running list of Prudy dishes everyone will eat.

Lego Party, SLC said...

The waffles look delicious. I'm going to try them out!