Thursday, February 18, 2010

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps for Chinese New Year

I can't help it. I still want to celebrate happy everything, even if I'm falling behind. So Happy Chinese New Year, everybody. My little sister, Catherine, reminded me that I hadn't ever posted my Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce. How did that happen? These used to be on my weekly menu, and now that I've made them again, they're getting their starring role back. They're simple, healthful, cheap, and so addictive. I only had one little problem when I made them this week. I had no good "wrapping" lettuce. You need soft leaved lettuces, like butter, or red-leaf to make a good wrap. All I had on hand was baby spinach, so they became an open-faced lettuce wrap. And now a word about the peanut sauce: YUMMA! I'm sorry to say that I ate it huddled over the sink, right out of the pan, with a spoon. It's that good. It's thin enough that you could douse it all over your whole meal. You'll have extra, so try it on noodles with veggies tomorrow. And the main ingredient of peanut sauce, as you may have guessed is peanut butter. Jif Peanut Butter for us. So for my stream of consciousness post today, that brings me to the Jif Contest. We have to wait a little longer, until the results are posted on the website next week, to share any news about West's status. Lips are sealed until that time. But not so sealed that I can't eat lettuce wraps. With lots and lots of peanut butter.
Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
Serves 4
Estimated Cost: $8.00
Marinade:
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp sugar (or honey)
1 Tbsp garlic
1 Tbsp grated ginger or ginger powder
1 lb. boneless, skinless, chicken breats
Place chicken in marinade for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight. Cook chicken by grilling, broiling, or pan frying. I've used all three methods with great success. Slice into bite sized pieces.
Prepare Peanut Sauce:
1 can of chicken broth
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1/3 cup peanut butter... JIF for us
1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
Simmer broth, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil for two minutes then add peanut butter, chili garlic sauce and brown sugar. Sauce will be very thin. You can also use it as a salad dressing.
Have cooked and ready:
Rice (I like jasmine, but white or brown or fine, too)
Have ready:
sliced radishes, sliced cucumber, grated carrots, red or green onion sliced, chicken, peanut sauce, peanuts
Place ingredients inside soft lettuce leaves, or serve over spinach, salad style.
Up Next:
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup

16 comments:

BottledBeauty said...

Looks delicious! I love asian lettuce wraps and anything peanut butter.

Evelyn said...

YUM!!! SO much more healthy than the fried wontons I made too:-) I cannot wait to try these!

The JR said...

Yummy. Sound and look good.

I can't wait to hear about the Jif Contest.

Julie Harward said...

Oh YUMMY...looks like something wonderful for dinner...thanks! Come say hi :D

Joanne said...

There are very few things in life that I love more than peanut sauce. I can't really think of any right now...but I'm sure some exist. These look fabulous!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Do you deliver?

Anonymous said...

I was gone for a few days over Valentines & President's day.
Did I miss your waffles post?
Love ALL YOU DO..........

Prudy said...

Anonymous:
I've got to get my waffles posted. They were so yummy. I made them two days in a row. Thanks for your kindness.

Unknown said...

Oh my! Lettuce wraps are my favorite! I am kind of mad that you haven't posted about these before! But not so mad that I'm not going to go out and get everything that I need to make them for myself! Thanks!!!

Catherine said...

As soon as my baby is well again, I'm making these wraps. I'm with you, I don't know how I forgot about these. I can't wait to eat them again and add them to my weekly menu.

Tanji said...

Great peanut sauce is better than fudge! Thanks Prudy!!!

The Blonde Duck said...

Ben would love these! Can't wait to hear!

HollyElise said...

I've just given you an award through my blog! Come see!
http://starlithome.blogspot.com/

Girl Japan said...

Hi there Erin!!! So glad to see an update from you. Are you still getting over the three ring holiday? Christmas, New Years, Valentines... = )

I love Lettuce wraps of any source, makes eating all the more fun, and I can get my recommended veggies in too.

Bill Bird said...

We're lucky enough in California to have a wide variety of Southeast Asian restaurants (we're immigrant country) -- and some of the peanut sauce is to DIE for. However, I've never seen this recipe. I'll have to try it. Did you plant tomato seeds yet?

Prudy said...

Bill,
We got some great hybrid seeds to try this year. We've planting tomorrow and keeping out little tomato babies in the garage till April.