Tuesday, February 16, 2010

All Occasion Chocolate Chip Cookies

You know how you can walk into Baskin and Robbins with a kid to get an ice cream cone, and they just can't seem to make up their mind? They get a pink-spooned sample of every flavor, and then they stare through the glass cases and shrug their shoulders. Finally, you shout, "OK-That's it, bucko! Chocolate or vanilla!" And then they quickly make up their mind and settle in to their sugary cone.
Well, that's how I'm feeling today. I'm in the land of too many choices, only it's not ice cream; it's holidays. I can't decide what to celebrate, and for me that means I don't know what to eat, either. We had President's Weekend competing with Valentine's Day. Today is Mardi Gras too, right? We skimmed right over Ground Hogs Day-since that was also a family birthday. And wait, Chinese New Year began on Sunday, too. Not to mention the Olympics, right on the heels of Super Bowl Sunday, I might add. Should I make one merry feast to celebrate them all? Hmm, let's see. We could have some Egg Foo Yung (Chinese New Year), with a side of Canadian Bacon (for the Olympics), a bowl full of gumbo (Mardi Gras), and finish it off with a Cherry Pie for Washington's Birthday. Except I get a World War III stomach ache just thinking about about it.
So why not just make a batch of chocolate chip cookies and celebrate everything all at once? Because I forgot to mention that in addition to all of the aforementioned holidays, today is also Tuesdays with Dorie, my weekly online baking club. And we're baking Greenspan's very favorite bumpy and chewy chocolate chip cookie. You can never ever go wrong with this American culinary treasure. Everyone within reach of the cookie jar will be happy. Chocolate or vanilla, bucko? Both. That was easy.
Click here for the recipe.
Next Up:
Chinese Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Peanut Sauce
PS I should find out today if West made it to NYC for the Jif Cook Off. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for your stunning show of support.

22 comments:

Cristine said...

Your cookies look delish! And you are right... that sure is A LOT of holidays/events in a very short period of time!

vanillasugarblog said...

i wish i had that problem. i am home sick with the flu and am starving but cannot eat :-( so I window-food-shop for now.
but your cookies, yes, they look good!

The JR said...

I didn't even think about it being all of those holidays. Cookies looks like a good choice in celebrating all of them at one time.

Catherine said...

I have been feeling the exact same way trying to decide what to celebrate. But since Baby's been sick, we've decided (or she decided) that we're not celebrating anything, we're just trying to stay on top of the laundry!

But these cookies seem doable. So maybe I'll join you and celebrate cookies!

Seth and Julie said...

Chocolate chip cookies are my very favorite food in the whole world. I am always up for trying a new recipe. This recipe breaks some of my personal chocolate chip cookie laws, and makes a thinner cookie than I usually prefer, but whenever anyone says something is their favorite, I feel like I should try it. And I'm sure that even if they are not my favorite, they will not sit on the plate long. Which makes me wonder...if this is Dorie's favorite chocolate chip cookie...what is Prudy's favorite?

chocolatechic said...

Looks good. I'm getting ready to make them.

I'll be posting them tomorrow.

Prudy said...

Dawn, darn! Get well soon.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Another great one! I'm adding you now to my blogroll...just love ya!

Anonymous said...

Those cookies look really delish... Maybe thats what I should cook when I have surgar cravings

Prudy said...

Julie,
So good to hear your voice, or ahem, shall I say read your type? You are right about these cookies. They are incredibly yummy, but not my ideal texture. I like soft and chewy and a little bit hearty from oats or oat flour or even some wheat. I'll have to make some perfect measurements and post my very fave here.

Mary said...

I love the photo of your baked cookie--looks like you cut your add-ins in big pieces. I gave all my cookies away last week, and am bitterly regretting it now! Oh, and it was Family Day, another holiday, here yesterday!

Paula said...

I hadn't thought about it but you are right! There were a lot of holidays the past few days. Oh well, lots of excuses to bake and celebrate. Your cookies look very tasty.

Karen @ Barefoot in Portland said...

I cannot wait to make these cookies!! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

The Blonde Duck said...

I can't wait to hear the news!

Kaitlin said...

There really is an abundance of holidays going on right now - it's almost overwhelming. I thought I was the only one who noticed! These are definitely an excellent way to celebrate. Thanks for baking with me!

Katie and Mark said...

Any news from JIF??? :)

Prudy said...

Katie:
No news yet. I'm glued to my computer until they announce. Thanks for asking!

Gracie said...

Good solution. Down here in New Orleans we literally celebrated all of that, times 4, plus it was my hubby's birthday.
I solved it all with a nice slice of King Cake.

Susan said...

Wow! I'm dizzy just reading all of that! :) Love your cookies.

Welcome to our crazy blessed life said...

Your cookies look nice and chunky. :) Glad you were able to make them even with so many choices.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Unknown said...

Christian Louboutin shoes was built-in in 1963. A advance in Paris which instructed women tourists not to blemish the board apparent in foreground of the Museum of Oceanic Art was the afflatus abaft Christian Louboutin Pumps axis into a shoe designer. It was the aboriginal Christian Louboutin Boots bazaar that acquired burning fame.