Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicken Curry Soup in the Crockpot

It's hard to keep writing everyday and not mention the things that tear your heart out, like the situation in Haiti. A couple of hundred years ago, we probably wouldn't even know that anything at all had happened in Haiti yet, but now we get the minute by minute, blow by blow. It is heart wrenching. Saddest of all are the accounts of the children trapped under rubble, whose cries are still heard. It is inconceivable, but it is also real.
On the other hand, I am proud to be part of a nation that springs into action to help those in need. Sometimes it doesn't work out exactly perfectly, but so many are willing to donate money, time, services, and prayers on behalf of the downtrodden. I want my children to know that they are part of this national legacy; when someone is hurt and suffering-locally or internationally, we can find a way to help. Here's one way to help: If you live in the western states, you can stop by any Smith's grocery store to donate money directly to the Red Cross for the Haitian relief fund. And while you are there, you can pick up some simple ingredients for the following.
And now, a little soup to warm the soul, as part of my January series of soups in the Crockpot. I'm calling it Chicken Curry Soup, although its true name is Mulligatawny. I once read-can't remember where- about a restaurant owner that couldn't sell their "Mulligatawny" soup, until they simply changed the title to "Chicken Curry Soup." By either name, it's the same rich curried broth, laden with chicken, rice, tart apples, potatoes and other yummy vegetables. In my version, you can add the cream at the last minute-or not at all, if you prefer. Either way, it's extraordinarily easy to fix, easy on the pocket book, and easy on the palate. Here's wishing you are all safe, warm, well, and grateful to be so.
Money Saving Tips: Use any cut of chicken to save some cash-just remove skin before boiling and bones before serving. Bouillion cubes work well here. Save a little more and make it vegetarian by using vegetable broth and swapping out the chicken for a can of drained garbanzo beans.
Chicken Curry Soup in the Crockpot:
Estimated Cost:$5.00 for four large servings
5 cups chicken broth
3/4 lb. chicken, cut into 1 inch pieces ( or you can add it uncut and frozen and shred it later)
1 large onion, diced
1 tart apple, peeled and diced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 cup white or brown long grain rice
Optional:
1/2 cup cream
For Serving:
Fresh lime or lemon wedges
chopped cilantro
Add chicken broth through rice to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in cream, if using. Serve soup with fresh lime and chopped cilantro.
Up Next:
Green Chile and Corn Chowder in the CrockPot

19 comments:

Julie Harward said...

JUST WHAT I NEED ON THIS COLD, DREARY DAY...THANK YOU SWEET PRUDY! COME SAY HI :D

Catherine said...

This soup looks delicious. Would it work without the chicken? I can't wait for the green chile corn chowder. That wouldn't happen to be the delicious soup from Thanksgiving, would it? I've been making that one every week, but I can't wait to see how to do it in the Crock Pot. Thanks for sharing Pru!

Prudy said...

Catherine:
I wrote a veggie version in the tips section. Just leave out the chicken, use veggie broth and a can of chick peas. It's pretty yummy!

The JR said...

It is sad and very heart breaking. The US is a wonderful nation and our people have big hearts.

Kristin Kimble Purles said...

You would have to have a curry dish as the top recipe the first time I get on your site. I'm hooked already. Curry is my favorite, combined with crock pot, and cheap! Yahoo! I'm friends with Mary Kate and we were talking about you last night so I had to get on. Glad I did. I will be back!

Catherine said...

How did I miss that? Thanks, Prudy!

Camille said...

Yummy ~ I love curry! I think I will give this one a try ~ thanks for sharing! Just stopped by from Farmgirl Cyn's Blog.

Blessings,
Camille

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin.. I have not seen you.. how have you been? The soup does look delish... I love chicken, and for some reason winter months and chicken just go well together.. know what I mean?

lubnakarim06 said...

Wow...that's an delicious soup...looks yummy....

Seth and Julie said...

I am loving this crock pot soup theme. I have already had much success with the chicken noodle... rave reviews from all 3 kids. And I enjoyed the potato soup too, even better the next day. I am still in awe that I made a cream soup in the crock pot. How lovely! My husband wants to try beef and barley but I don't think I know what barley is? I'll definitely make this one. I love curry and this looks exotic and comforting at the same time. Plugging back in the crock pot!

Thanks!!!

small home plans said...

This is perfect for a cold weather. I really need something new! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

This looks yummy. I'll try it with a meat substitute. I'm a vegetarian and it can be hard to find meatless slow cooker recipes. I am posting my recipes on my blog http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com. You might fine some that interest you.

Prudy said...

Kathy,
Thanks for commenting. I've made this soup many times with chickpeas and I love it! I'll check out your blog, too. Thanks again.

Chef Aimee said...

I love using my crockpot and this definitely IS soup to warm the soul!

Vintage Marigold said...

I'm new. I wanted to tell you I voted though! Good Luck West!

Prudy said...

Crayon: Thank you! Welcome!

Yvonne said...

I made this the other night and although it was extremely easy and incredibly delicious... Mine, looked NOTHING like yours. I used brown rice and the whole thing was a cloudy stew, not the beautiful clear soup that I saw in the picture. In the picture, I don't even see any rice. I didn't add the cream, it just seemed to thickened up already. Did I do something wrong?

I love your blog and love your recipes... Thank you! Keep the yumminess coming!

Felicia at Skimpy Pantry said...

I just tried this recipe and it was great! I don't currently have a crock pot, so I adjusted it accordingly, but it turned out great! Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Tiffany jewellery adornment can accommodate all kinds of bargain Tiffany pendants necklaces, silver necklaces bracelets and rings etc.